Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » Pleased be Advised.....

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Pleased be Advised.....
jstod Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Nebraska
Car #: 64
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jstod     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been asked to post the following...

Please read the attachment. I have no further information, but you need to be aware of this change. NO IMPACT RACING DRIVER CLOTHING WILL BE ALLOWED AT THE UPCOMING SSRR AT MAM. Note that this does not include seat belts.

Chris Safranek
Tech Chief -- MVRG

DATE: March 31, 2009
NUMBER: RM09-01

TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Impact Racing Product Recall

IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL
Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified of this noncompliance.

--------------------
Jim Stoddard
Nebraska Region Competition Chair
MVRG Board Member

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's nuts. The only suits that are affected are the NHRA type drag suits, not the SFI 3-2A/5 suits that SCCA calls for in the GCR.
In fact, they can't just ignore the GCR and say you can't run.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jstod     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in the process of clarifying what Chris said, she hopefully misread.
I will post an update from her when I receive.

Thanks

--------------------
Jim Stoddard
MVRG Board Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See parallel thread "IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL"

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

By all means use a sledge hammer to kill that fly.

Beyond the fact that the recall only pertains to the A/15 and A/20 suits and not the A/5 suits, the recall also only pertains to suits made in 2008. So if anyone only has a suit made in 2007 they can't race?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last I saw, SFI rating was not required by the GCR for many of the safety items we use as long as they are the right material? I understand being cautious, but we need to follow our own rules. If someone wants to wear an Impact suit, require them to wear nomex underwear.

Not a smart move when every entry counts.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Here is the SCCA latest position on this:

FURTHUR UPDATE:

National office (due to questions asked by a host of tech personnel) has noted that there is no way we can identify the year of manufacture on any Impact Racing item, so tech and grid personnel cannot determine if the gear is part of the recall.

The best we can do is let the driver know that there is a recall on all 2008 and 2009 Impact Racing driver gear and that the driver should check with Impact Racing to make his/her own decision about whether to continue to use the product.

Please note that SCCA does allow drag racing separates, and all Impact Racing driver gear (not just suits) are subject to the recall. This means underwear, balaclavas, gloves and shoes.

--------------------
Jim Stoddard
MVRG Board Member

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

SCCA needs to get their facts straight!

The decertification only affects /15 and /20 rated outerwear: suits, pants, jackets, gloves and boots. Not balaclavas or underwear.

The recall only affects gear that was manufactured in 2008 and recertified in 2009.

I hope the tech people understand that the /15 and /20 standards are not what road racers wear and the standards have nothing to do with whether the suit is a one or two piece design. The /15 and /20 standards are 3 to 4 times more fire-protective than what we wear and are often many layers thick, even for gloves and shoes. Frankly, they are only suitable for wearing for few minutes. After that, the driver begins to get dangerously hot.

Before SCCA tech goes on some campaign to scare racers and created a bunch of hyperventilating tech officials, they should understand what is actually going on.

If you really want to improve safety, recall the SCCA Club Racing Patches that invalidate the FIA certification on FIA approved suits.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If it's just an advisory, that's fine but right off Impact's site...

Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc.

It doesn't mention underwear or gloves.

Shoes, gloves, socks, underware and balaclava's don't have to be SFI rated per the GCR. They merely have to be made of fire resistant material. In SCCA the shoes must cover your instep (so no spaghetti strap heels but open toes are ok I guess), and they may have ventilation holes.

You could in fact by the current SCCA GCR (NASA is a bit different), wear leather tennis shoes, and as long as the other stuff is wool, leather, or nomex, you're legal. Personally I wouldn't wear leather underware though. [Razz]

I'd be rather non-plussed if someone was going to try and deny my entry due to a potential SFI rating issue with a different product when all of my clothes are already, by design, MUCH better than the minimum required.

BTW- I just looked at the label inside my Impact booties. I'll give you one good guess at the country of manufacture. [Big Grin] And then I just looked at my Piloti shoes. [Eek!]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jim,
This is insane. As Kent pointed out, the decertification is specific and has nothing to do with what most SCCA racers wear. For your tech person to state that they won't allow anyone to race with any Impact clothing, just doesn't make sense. You should demand that SCCA allow Impact clothing that isn't, specifically, mentioned in the recall. Saying that there is a recall on all 2008 and 2009 Impact Racing gear is not true. There is a recall on specific racing gear, from those years, not all the gear.
I don't own any of this gear.

If you have Impact racing gear, you will be able to race with that gear at Hallett and MAM in the Midiv. Since the recall only refers to the possibility that some SFI specifications may, or may not, be met, all Impact suits will be ok for racing at these events. If you have a suit that is listed by Impact, you should contact Impact to see about a replacement. None of the suits will be barred from the events. This is according to the Chief Steward. Pass it along.
wheel

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Jimmy,

Can Steve Johnson still wear his nomex thong underwear as long as it was made in 2007 or before?

--------------------
volante

NO! NO! NO!, a thousand times NO.

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only when he is "killing the bear"

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
If you have Impact racing gear, you will be able to race with that gear at Hallett and MAM in the Midiv. Since the recall only refers to the possibility that some SFI specifications may, or may not, be met, all Impact suits will be ok for racing at these events. If you have a suit that is listed by Impact, you should contact Impact to see about a replacement. None of the suits will be barred from the events. This is according to the Chief Steward. Pass it along.
wheel

Thanks Jim, for getting this clarified & posted.
See you at MAM
Jim

--------------------
Jim Stoddard
MVRG Board Member

Here's the official word:

Good Morning All: After doing some extensive checking on the "Recall" of the Impact Racing clothing, the information which I have received states that the suit's in question are NOT the type/style that is warn by road racing drivers. This recall is for a drivers information only and states that they should contact the manufacture regarding the recall notification and the number and CHECK on weather the suite they have is OK. Until we are informed differently MIDIV will allow the Impact Racing suit that has NOT been referred to in the recall to be used at the Hallett R/N and the MAM DS/DS/R/R events forth coming. Thank you.
Bob Eddy - MIDIV Executive Steward and also Chief Steward for both of the above events.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: