Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » HPT DBL

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: HPT DBL
IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

THe Pheenom was unbeatable.
I am not sure of the finish but both days Weise, The Beav, Kyle Jones and Chris Edens were the top four. (Not sure in which order as i was doing other things.)
Someone else can post results.

I have to thank Dave Volante and Travis Norwald for helping me when my "C" car developed mechanical issues. Also Kyle Jones and his dad Rob for letting me run his dad's "C" car on Sunday. That was a life saver. Later I will post a detailed race report with all the details after consulting with my paddock spies.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I was the only one of the punk kids who wasn't learning the track this weekend. Everybody raced a lot tougher than they qualified, on Saturday I was on pole with a 1:53.6xx 1.4 seconds ahead of Kyle in 2nd but had a hard race with him and Beaver who qualified 5th, including a double-yellow restart after an SSC Civic ate the inside wall at T2. It was under a funeral shroud the rest of the weekend. [Frown] Beaver had fast lap with a 1:53.4, Jones turned a 1:53.8, I could only manage a 1:54.0 with my new heat cycled 4/32 triple-hates.

Saturday top 4

Wiese
Beaver
Jones
Edens

Sunday everybody was much tighter, ran a 1:53.2xx in qual and was 0.8 ahead of Kyle with Edens behind me in 3rd and Beaver outside 2nd row. Good start again but there was a T1 shermozzle (Volante spun? Never got a good story on that one) and Beaver got tangled up. He was fighting through the field the rest of the race and ended up 3rd. Chris said his tires went off like a light switch on lap 7 or so, he ran a lap time within a tenth of us at the front. I had fast lap with a 1:54.2, Jones had a 1:54.3 as did Beaver and Edens.

Sunday finishing order:

Wiese
Jones
Beaver
Edens

Saturday tech was intensive for me only, but I was happy to be checked and happy to see more tech people getting certified on the testing methods (it was a learning process for everybody involved [Smile] ) Checked bore, stroke, whistled and checked fuel. I was happy with the equipment being used and the methods they used. Everybody was very respectful and congenial and patient with my crabby self. Kudos to the tech team.

Sunday they only checked fuel and I believe they looked for steering rack/subframes that were not correct for the year also.

I need to get ahold of Jim Thompson of Kinetic (or Kinetic-Sunbelt, whatever they're calling themselves these days) sometime and thank him for building me an awesome, legal motor. It's stronger than ever after 1.5 seasons of hard racing later and it's passed every test the tech teams have thrown at it. I haven't gone through a complete teardown yet but I've made it a lot further without an issue than some others have.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice job !!

Great to see Crispin up there........workin' those R888's

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fun weekend,decent weather,not the results we wanted but thats racing.
Weise was untouchable,nice run Rich.Kyle,Chris and the Beave ran very well,first time on the new configuration for me also.I liked it a lot and will be back.T1-T2 and the 7-8 combo make you think about things now.
Saturday I kinda crept up on things and was happy with my finish.Sunday qualifying I picked it up a bit and was excited to run with Chris and the Beave during the race(at least for a little bit).
Talked with Crispen before the race and we agreed who ever had T1 at the start the other would let him take it.I had a good run at the start but was boxed in by Chris,the seas parted just when I got a good bump from behind which gave me a bit of a edge on the Beave.He gave me the corner and I went through easy enough.Coming out of T2 on the gas the whole time Kraft gave me the chrome horn from behind.Hard.While not happy about it we chatted and shook hands,shit happens,car is in good shape I think.
Thanks all who missed me,it could of been bad.

Tire wise they were fine,not good but fine.Weather was 60 and cloudy though.Camber was -3.0 in front,-2.8 rears,started more or less with cold pressure of 30 to 31 ended with 36-37.Rotated the tires after every session,tire wear ended up very even,just not much left after 4 sessions.They can do one more and then they will be shot.Meaning worthless even to a regional guy.
Same here on the light switch,5 laps of OK grip,3 laps of oh I guess I cant follow that line anymore,10 laps of driving where ever the tires went to the last 3 laps of drift competition.

--------------------
volante

volante Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And thank you corner worker Will Huxtable for pushing my ass out of the mud for about 50 ft.I am guessing you can send the cleaning bill to Krafty [Smile]

--------------------
volante

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will is a great guy and a super corner worker (among other jobs he does for us racers). A real asset for the Midiv.

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Race report HPT DBL:
Arrived Thursday night after doing a couple of laps of Topeka with my trusty navigator daughters directing. (Left the GPS on the dresser at home!) Found out we would be rooming next door to about 1500 teenage girl soccer players for the weekend. Sweet deal if you are 16 and with your buddies.....not so much if you are 50+ and traveling with your 20 something daughters.
Got up early and went to track looking at the sky the whole way. Lady said Track Day was $225 or $250 and with the overcast looking wet I passed. Coughed up the $30 to enter the paddock and lay claim to paddock space to house our MidWest Drunks At The Track Meeting. The Girls were embarrassed by my crime scene tape corral, but if not for that Sidewalk and Jarrod would have puked on innocent bystanders.
So later in the day the hooligans started arriving. The Gay Shoe Warehouse Racing trailer first, followed by a guy sitting on three dictionaries driving an RV (Sidewalk Johnson at your service), followed by TNord who was complaining about something and was probably right. Next was the The Family with the only 3 year old who can yell "Yeah Dave, kick his ass!" (More on this later.) Yes we are talking about J/J, Lauren & Sam. I will say that Jen, Martha-Nell, Shelley and the kids tried to keep the group of ner-do-wells in line, but to no avail.
Some of the highlites included roof surfing by the Worlds Tallest Munchakin, Mooning of the paddock with RV horn accompaniment by same above mentioned Munchakin,(this brought a comment of Shelley- "Daddy, that guy is sick."
Dad- "Oh that is not so bad its just Sidewalk being Sidewalk."
Shelley- "No Dad, I mean he has to be sick his butt is the "whitest skin" I have ever seen on someone alive. He is ill!"
My SSC car found in impound under a pile of crime tape Saturday morning with BUD LITE ballast included.
Worst moment was not my motor going to hell in a handbag after my 9 hour tow to get in three laps, but Jarrod and TNord derailing my 99 shock perch / bumpstop scam I was running on Johnson. Damn you guys, nothing would have been better than for him to mount those puppies and THEN you tell him they were NAs! How can a guy have any fun with "dogooders" around.
Saturday morning our little buddy looked so hungover I expected (Brandon? /Braydon? I call him Alex) his son to run the Q session for him. Hey the kid is taller and acts way older!
Oh I guess now is the time to go ahead and recognize Volante as the the winner of the P.Sandlin Coolest Looking Guy in the Paddock Award. Not that he had any competition from this group of shlubs!
Comment of the week over heard at the Tech Shed:
Real Young racer- "Hey you gonna run fuel?"
Young racer- "I have some but really was not planning on it."
Real Young racer- "Well I won't if you won't and we probably are the only two in contention!"
Hey, Real Young was dang close to being right...although a couple of other guys were right in that mix, so it should have been a 4 way agreement. How much is that stuff a gal. these days?
Saturday night Drunk award goes to THE MAN FROM IOWA! He coupled this award with the SPEED CHANNEL MOVE OF THE RACE AWARD on Sunday as he puked in his helmet/ race suit on the out lap.
THIS BUD'S FOR YOU JARROD IGOU.....you made Johnson look like a good citizen....and that my man is a hard task!
As far as racing goes, here are the Cliff Notes"
Sidewalk ran Wheels SM and moaned and complained about it the whole weekend (Just like he did everytime in his own car at every race I ever saw him.)
Volante looked fast got punted by Krafty in the T1/T2 melee on Sunday but ran some fast laps. Jarrod, Krafty, & Volante had a great race back and forth on Saturday.
Pheenom, The Beav, K. Jones, and C. Edens ran tight both days at the front. Pheenom is driving very well these days and should be a threat at RAmerica. Ditto for The Beav, the kid looks fast and comfortable in Sammy's old rocket ship. Kyle keeps getting that 1.6 better and better each race which is putting him higher and higher on the finish list. Chris is climbing up there with the others each race. SO, it looks like the MIDWEST RAT PAK has taken the SM glory away from the OLD GREYBEARDS. I guess it is a new day.
My weekend racing went like this; Saturday practice three laps.... Flat Tow. Saturday Q session one lap....Flat Tow.
Volante / Tnord put in new axel but motor was kaplooy! Car in Trailer!
Sunday borrowed Rob Jones wounded Sentra nursed her home 2nd in a field full of All Stars.
That is my story and I am sticking to it! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

skl

Region: DMVR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Dave V for the spare coil pack on Sunday or I wouldn't have been able to beat Brady for a change!! Gotta let the boys drive that car so they can run up with you guys...

--------------------
stu- DMVR
#48 Gulf blue/orange

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was nice that nobody puked in the Rollcamera.net/Hoosier tires/Volante's Gay Shoe Warehouse Spec Miata this weekend. Seeing Johnson (in his condition) get into the car on Saturday morning, I questioned my sanity in loaning him the car. All turned out well, however.
wheel

volante Verified Driver

Now thats funny,I don't care who you are!!
Jarrods been trying to win that special award for years and he finally did it.Way to go Jarrod!!

--------------------
volante

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac, classic as always. Sorry your Honduh broke, motors are cheep and plentiful. Kinda glad I wasn't paddocked over there by the false grid...

I suck at HPT, and there is plenty of video proof out there. Everyone on the pit wall got to watch me go from 2nd gear to nothing to 1st to 5th to 3rd gear. I am thrilled that I had the pace to make up for my mistakes, but I sure hope I got them out of my system, because 40+ cars are not as forgiving of missed shifts as 10 cars...

Fuel conversation came up after I finally introduced myself to Real Young Racer. I don't think he was expecting Kyle to be Kyle.

Kyle is always a dark horse contender and he popped out of the shadows this weekend. From what I saw, the car is strong enough and he's a very consistent driver which definitely makes somebody who is driving around the track yelling at himself for dropping wheels and missing shifts nervous. [Smile]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

EMI

Region: Ark
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris was on POG. I dumped what we had left in the motorhome before leaving. I wouldnt do that with Rocket fuel! Oh, and Real Young Racer should have been out running Rich easily.... Atleast thats what he told me anyway.

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens
Sponsor, motorhome driver, chef, and Dad to #26 SM Chris Edens

"Don't eat the track food, it'll kill ya!"

Edens Verified Driver

Region: ARK
Car #: 26
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rich, I was only behind you for 2 of the all 4 wheel off excursions. one at the exit of T2 were you went around the brake markers and still stayed in front of me, and the other when you went off at T9 on the first lap of the race on Sunday.

I had a lot of fun this weekend, Learning the track Saturday made it very interesting to say the least. Tires were good on Saturday as we ran the fastest lap on lap 17, Sunday the tires felt good for the first 3 laps and I was running right with Rich and Kyle. Then it was light someone flipped a switch and the car instantly went to no grip at all... anywhere! It was costing about 2 seconds a lap, I went from runnning 1:54's with the leaders to running high 1:56's and low 1:57's for the rest of the race. I was just happy to bring it home in forth and not lose any more spots. All in all a good weekend for us, happy things are starting to come together. Great to meet Rich and a couple others face to face. See you guys at Hallett in July!

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Rich Verified Driver

In case anybody was wondering by the way, I was using 100 octane track gas.

Real Young Racer is right, anyone with aspirations of winning the Runoffs in good equipment should have been outrunning me easily.

HPT is definitely not an easy track to show up and be fast at. I still learn every time I go there. I was using a completely different line through the T11-T14 complex than I used at the Runoffs. I can't tell if it was better, but it was different!

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Rich Verified Driver

One more note: My fastest lap the whole week of the '08 Runoffs (good for 12th place in qualifying, 1.4 seconds back from leader) was a 1:52.899 in good conditions.

Conditions were good at HPT this year and I was driving better (~0.5 mph faster in T8 and ~0.3 mph faster in T1) but could only manage a 1:53.279 in a car that's basically identical to the one I had last year.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

volante Verified Driver

POG here also,never running the good stuff again ever.Matter of fact I got 10 gallons if someone wants it.

I never thought I would ever says this but I almost can't wait to come back to HPT.The new areas are a huge improvement.
Hell Rich I ran a different line every lap!

--------------------
volante

Rich Verified Driver

I know you did on the last lap! Saucier came up to me in impound on Sunday and asked me why the leader pulled out of the way and let me by.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i enjoyed watching and pulling for everyone! Very fun... Too bad for volante, I was hoping for a repeat of saturday...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

volante Verified Driver

Rich so your saying people in the stands thought I was leading the race??

It must of been the blistering 1:57 laps or maybe Saucier got hit with a chunk of mud that flew off my car and knocked him silly!

--------------------
volante

volante
Sam and I were in the stands and NOBODY thought you were leading.
wheel

Rich Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by volante:
Rich so your saying people in the stands thought I was leading the race??

It must of been the blistering 1:57 laps or maybe Saucier got hit with a chunk of mud that flew off my car and knocked him silly!

I think Saucier has been huffing too much ERC exhaust from Drago at MiDiv races because he said that after watching from the seat of his SSC car.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: