Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » HPT white smoke

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: HPT white smoke
wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the Sunday race at HPT, I was pulling onto the front straight, running up through 2nd gear, when the power dropped off the table. Looked in the mirror and saw a lot of white smoke. It kept running, and I pulled into an access road to be near the fire bottles. There was nothing leaking anywhere. No oil, no water. Oil and water both look OK. Anybody have any ideas? Timing belt?
This was a $600 salvage yard motor, so no huge loss.
wheel

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

any fluids in the tail pipe? Was Johnson around?

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check to see if there is to much oil in the pan.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the oil isn't too full and blowing through the PCV valve (creates a TON of thick white smoke and a big drop in power...been there)you might want to do a quick hydrocarbon test on the cooling system.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No,
Oil is about half quart under full. No oil in tail pipe. No fluids anywhere. Johnson stole the car Sat night and put it out at the start/finish line. Maybe he pissed in the crankcase.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like you are putting coolant into the combustion process, and releasing steam.

Could be a head gasket or worse.

A little water makes a lot of steam. If it was a daily driver you may see more water loss but it sounds like you pulled off right away.

I just started it in the trailer and it blew smoke out the back and made lots of funny noises. Oil smoke, not water. Poor baby is history. I will say, the best $600 I ever spent in racing.

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How long did the junker last you? What mileage did it have one it when you first put it in?

If you want another motor, I have a 160k motor at Truman Lake that was pulling strong when I pulled it last year to put in a crate motor.

I was keeping it as a spare, just in case. But right at the moment, I'd rather have the money, I think.

Eric

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PS: 91 motor with 93 crank installed by the late Larry Schroeder in Tulsa.

Race in Peace Larry.

Eric,
When they used my car, in Topeka, as the test mule for the training of the tech guys from around the country, the found that it had about 8.3 to 1 compression ratio. It was down on power to everybody. So, I bought a low mileage replacement. I just never got around to swapping them out. The "new" engine is sitting in Johnson's garage. We'll do the swap when I get back from the Runoffs.
wheel

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: