Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » St Louis Reg/Nat/IT Tour March 27-28

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: St Louis Reg/Nat/IT Tour March 27-28
Bryon Prokopf

Region: STL
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bryon Prokopf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey everybody, race season is right around the corner in the midwest so come join the St. Louis Region at the Regional/National/IT Tour on March 27-28 at Gateway Raceway. Registration is available at http://www.dlbracing.com so get your car ready and come out and have a good time.

Hope to see you all there.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
STL Region Race Committee Chairperson
T&S, F&C

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bryon,

This question isn't directed at your event specifically, but I didn't think it worthy of it's own thread:

What is the purpose of a Regional/National split event? Most Regional level racers want to maximize the cost of a race weekend by running two days and while that is true for National level as well, most Nat level racers don't want to run with regional guys. Just wondering.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Regions lose money on National race weekends. Having a split weekend allows you to have a National race and yet still attract more total entries. The other reason is that regions are only permitted 2 sanctioned National races per year. St. Louis might be running another National later in the year.

--------------------
Paul McLester

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All the tracks in the Midiv are running two R/N/IT tour weekends. St.Louis, Hallett, HPT, MAM. Until the Runoffs came to Topeka, this was the way it was always done in Midiv. Pretty much everyone ran both days. The serious national racers use the regional as a test day, or to scuff tires or brakes. The HPT weekends will even have a PDX group as one of the race groups on Saturday.
The IT tour gives the IT classes their own points race on Sunday with the national races. It helps keep the regions in the black.
wheel

[ 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: wheel ]

Bryon Prokopf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bryon Prokopf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the format that seems to work the best in MiDiv. We have tried to have regional only weekends but our regional driver base has diminished in the last few years to the point where it is not financially responsible to hold these events.
Double National weekends have also not had the desired positive effect in this division.
Like Wheel said, most of the drivers are ok with running both days and there is alot of respect from the national drivers when they are running the regionals and vice versa.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

EMI

Region: Ark
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bryon,
Will there be someone there Friday that can do an annuall tech?

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens
Sponsor, motorhome driver, chef, and Dad to #26 SM Chris Edens

"Don't eat the track food, it'll kill ya!"

Bryon Prokopf

Tech will be open Friday evening and we will have people present who are capable of performing annual techs. Our usual policy is to give equipment tech priority over annual techs but hopefully we will have enough people to cover everything in a timely manner. As always we encourage anybody with the chance to get their annual techs done prior to arriving at the track to do so in case of any problems.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

EMI

Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If needed we will make an appointment. I would love to have the car teched before the race, but there is no one in Arkansas to do it. I cant justify hauling the car to Tulsa or St Louis just to have it teched.

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Regions lose money on National race weekends. Having a split weekend allows you to have a National race and yet still attract more total entries. The other reason is that regions are only permitted 2 sanctioned National races per year. St. Louis might be running another National later in the year.

So lemme see if I have this straight. Regional competitors paid $10 compliance fees last year and got zip. They buy 80% of the tires from which all the contingency goes to National racers. Then because National events lose money, Regions are creating single regional races that the national racers can use them as practice sessions and pound the regional racers who (surprise) get zip.

Seems like a great plan to me. [Wink]
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's been like that since long before compliance fees were a twinkle in the CRB's eye...

I'm in for 8 sessions that weekend. I'm going to find out how reliable this thing really is. [Smile]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Bryon Prokopf

quote:
Originally posted by EMI:
If needed we will make an appointment. I would love to have the car teched before the race, but there is no one in Arkansas to do it. I cant justify hauling the car to Tulsa or St Louis just to have it teched.

I understand this. You can contact our tech chiefs and try to work something out. James Chapman is our tech contact and his contact info is located on the schedule and supps that is available at dlbracing.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

EMI

Thanks Bryon, we will contact James.

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have reviewed the supplementals for this race and see nothing about tires. For the regionals on Saturday, can I run Hoosiers? Breaking in a new set of Toyo RA1's for the national and would like to let them sit 24 hours as recommended.

Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Bryon Prokopf

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lutz:
I have reviewed the supplementals for this race and see nothing about tires. For the regionals on Saturday, can I run Hoosiers? Breaking in a new set of Toyo RA1's for the national and would like to let them sit 24 hours as recommended.

Thanks, Jay

We put nothing in our supps so what the GCR says goes for this. The Regional you can use any DOT approved tire and this National you can use the RA1's or R888's

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I have a car, I will be there
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine has a "big boy" seat in it, and the window is missing from the driver's side. Plus you're not as big as you used to be. Stroke a check. [Big Grin]

I may be appearing in 2 classes for this weekend.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Bryon Prokopf

Anybody who wants to do the track test day on Friday can pre-register here:

http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetE...Context=&caller=&appCode=

Save $50 by registering by March 23rd

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Bryon Prokopf

As of right now we have 9 SM's registered for this coming weekend. Hopefully we get some more to show up and have a nice large group to have fun with. Weather is looking good, hopefully the chance of rain on Sunday goes away and we stay dry all weekend.

For anybody who can't make it to the track, I will be attempting to post updates on Twitter, follow me @ bprokopf

Look forward to seeing you all at the track.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Rich Verified Driver

Bryon - Is the test day a go? GIR hasn't sent out any info (I'm shocked)

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Bryon Prokopf

I just talked with the track and the test day is a go. I am not sure what info they send out but if you registered on their website, then you should be good to go.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Edens Verified Driver

Region: ARK
Car #: 26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday Qualifying is over...

1. Drago - 1:12.304
2. Edens - 1:12.895
3. Jones - 1:13.000
4. Beaver - 1:13.197
5. Garibotti - 1:15.093
6. Leavell - 1:17.136
7. Hamilton - 1:18.321
8. Lutz - 1:20.522

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The track record is 1:12.017, so Drago and Edens are right there.

Rich Wiese still with the record.

[ 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: wheel ]

Edens Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday Regional race is in the books...

1. Drago - 1:12.137
2. Jones - 1:13.215
3. Beaver - 1:13.107
4. Garibotti - 1:13.619
5. Edens - 1:13.104
6. Leavell - 1:16.045
7. Lutz - 1:19.933

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Rich Verified Driver

Congrats to Jim. Dominating performance.
It's still mine...for now. [yep]

Track was snotty today but the cars were making good power, typical Smarch STL weather. Tomorrow will be wet for my race, drying track for you guys hopefully. I wonder how wet you get in an SRF if the course gets red flagged in the rain?

Fun race to watch, an out-of-body experience. I liked the part where Chris bailed out in T1 and jumped the grass, getting back on track, rally-car style. Kyle and the Beave had a good race going. Didn't look like anybody but Drago had T7 figured out, and that's the only turn that matters at Gateway...

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Edens Verified Driver

Very wet qualifying for the Sunday National...

1. Beaver - 1:25.721
2. Edens - 1:26.217
3. Drago - 1:27.522
4. Jones - 1:28.585
5. Kraft - 1:30.265

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Rich Verified Driver

I think I had FTD today. Real rain tires are cool.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Edens Verified Driver

Sunday National results...

1. Drago - 1:12.876
2. Jones - 1:13.757
3. Edens - 1:13.685
4. Kraft - 1:16.555

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Rich Verified Driver

Congrats James. From the looks of my driveway, you probably had some puddles and slick spots to deal with out there. Good show.

Guess I only had fastest qual time of the day. Damn.

Spec Racer Fords are fun. You should all buy one. Just make sure you buy fiberglass supplies...

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Bryon Prokopf

Thanks to everybody who came out this weekend. The turnout was definitely light and the weather sucked today with it being cold and rainy but hopefully everybody had a good time. Results are on mylaps, search STL SCCA.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rich
Congrats on your wins, you looked awesome in that SRF. You were so much faster than all in the wet it was pretty awesome. I watched in 5 for some tips, [Big Grin] ( my problem child in the wet) you were flying. Glad to see a SM guy do so well in SRF.

My weekend was rough, had wife, kids and two of their friends... My ears are still bleeding. [boggled] I'm missing a lot of my SM buddies of old... No Saferacer, No Sammy, No Johnson, No Disco Dave, No Tucker, No dad whats a Schieffler, no Stearns, No Iggou and now Weise in SRF ( glad he left as he would have won both SM races this weekend)... [thumbsup]

As far as the weekend goes... I left with the car being down 4 hp, So I didn't expect much, either cold air or bad dyno day or both as car was obviously very good. The car was loose the entire race Saturday, fortunately I only had to push for 7 laps or so. I tried my hardest to get Rich's record and it was clearly there if the car handled. I was able to run low 12's on POG, never done that less cancer gas, adding that car didn't handle makes me think bad dyno day.
Sunday in the wet qualifying, started slow and started getting comfortable, the first lap I started to push, I looped at the switchback.. came around for a flyer, I was plus I was plus 1.8 on my predictive and took my normal line in 5, which includes grass and lite bump to tires, lucky for me, not even a scratch and my biggest accomplishment of the weekend was driving the car out of there, threw the river and back on to the track! [thumbsup]

Sundays race, I think we all went on dries, my tires had little to no tread and it was all I could handle for the first half of the race. Crispin was gone, he was out like 6 seconds in the first 10 laps or so, he was very fast in the wet. I didnt think I was going to be able to catch him. As the line dried and I was able to start flatting the switchback and pick it up a bit, I was able to catch and pass Crispin. My car was never that good all weekend, I pulled rear bar for the national and it was really tight in 5 and 7. About lap 15 or so, I heard a loud noise, like someone threw a bucket of bolts at the car at the start finish line. I tapped the brakes and they felt OK and continued on. It never made another noise or presented a problem. When I went to impound, I heard some brake drag, when I unloaded this AM, the left frt caliper is missing the top bolt and the bottom one almost gone. The threads pulled out of the bracket, probably over torqued? That could have been really ugly at T1! That an my r/shoulder belt coming off somewhere about the same time in the race made for an eventful race.
Sorry I didn't stick around in impound, I wanted to load and get out of there as quick as possible as we had 5.5 long hours to go and thekids had school today. I had a lot to get loaded etc, so I darted for the trailer ASAP. Crispin was a little light, so they dq'ed him. Too bad, he drove a good race. Chris Edens and Kyle are right there as well. Suddenly 43 is sounding very old, do we have a seniors division? [Frown]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***do we have a seniors division? [Frown] ***

You bet, just like golf over 50. [Razz]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Rich Verified Driver

Had to make friends with the left foot brake for sure in 5, that car loves the LFB. There always seems to be more and more grip right up until you drive off the track in 5 and 2 at GIR in the rain. Was trying not to find that last tenth because that last tenth is usually found somewhere on the way to the Drago line. [Razz]

Weight is another nice thing about the SRF. For me at least, just top off the tank and finish somewhere within 20 lbs of minimum. I guess 20/1670 is a bigger percentage, but when the easy button is so easy (and there's no fuel gauge to second guess yourself with) it's a lot less stressful for somebody lazy/incompetent at mechanic-ing like me.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: