Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » TWS / NASCAR?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: TWS / NASCAR?
IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like a smart guy would repave the oval (get a group of well funded teams to pay for it) of TWS and become THE test track now that NASCAR has outlawed testing on any tracks in the series. OL' Texas World could be the fastest on the planet again. Real life testing will always be better then simulation and shaker testing.

[ 11-16-2008, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: IPRESS ]

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You must mean TWS. And you must not have looked closely at the condition of the track lately.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fixed it, thanks Kent. Oh I didn't say it would be cheap to fix, but NASCAR teams don't have a lot of options to test for big speedways now. Indy cars use to test there too.
It was just one of the first things that came to mind when I heard of the NASCAR testing ban.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I worked Turn 1 high after my motor blew earlier this year... the concrete retaining walls are even crumbling. If you stand on the starter stand, you can see how the front stretch wall is wavy because the entire grandstand hill is sliding onto the front straight.

I'd love to see some money flow into it, though.

--------------------

tfro

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tfro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been told that TWS still rents the oval for testing. I didn't really believe it, but I've also heard it from people affliated with track operations.

Must be OFF ROAD Trucks!

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

James R. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 46
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for James R.   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've driven a 48hr fuel mileage test on the big oval and it was smooth as glass. Don't know if big high speed traffic would make the hill move more but I doubt it. Guy's like AJ have done private testing there for years and did right up to Dick's death.

I think NASCAR wants testing done on a short track, not a big one.

--------------------
James Rogerson
AS 2; HP 55
SM forever though!
"Nails are glue" - Lou Fertile

Future Never Has Been

James, the track seems pretty smooth, I think they ground it a few years ago, but it's the concrete around it that's in bad shape.

--------------------

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The word going around last weekend was that Greg Biffle tested at TWS middle of last week. I have no inside info, just repeating the rumor.

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also heard from a buddy that ran TWS this past weekend that they have recently resurfaced the road course between T7 and T9. I don't remember there being any specific problems with the paving there, but maybe there were?

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: