Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » TWS Open Day Testing 12/13-12/14

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: TWS Open Day Testing 12/13-12/14
WildBill88

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 18
Year : 99 & 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WildBill88   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone going?

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, instructing.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there breaking in a new motor.

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Trevor McC Made Donation to Website

Region: Texas
Car #: 90
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Trevor McC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be there instructing and running laps in the Red session...

SamC Verified Driver

Car #: 23
SMIM: -
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamC   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ill be there instructing and running through whats left of my last set of RA-1s

--------------------
"If women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
~Red Green

WildBill88

Icon 1 posted  Profile for WildBill88   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here are the details:

Our next Performance Driving School is set for Dec 13-14 and that would be an ideal time for you guys to test your cars/tires. You may register at clubregistration.net The weekend costs $275 or you may do one day for $175. Each or either day you will receive five 20-25 minutes sessions on the track. If you have any
questions, drop another email or give me a call. Thanks, Rusty Rush TWS
979/690-2500

WildBill88

This was a great learning experience with the new 888, however the new restrictions on the early 1.8L has left me pondering.

Top end power has been compromised a lot. While In the past I could hang with the 1.6L and the 99's on top end in 5th gear, I am now getting eaton alive.

The pendulum has moved way too far to the other end for this car, and made it not competitive anymore.

Adding 35 lbs and more restrictive plate was too much!

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bill, didn't one of your competitors make that restrictor plate for you. Better check to make sure he didn't make it a bit small (:

Has anyone actully dynoed a 1.8 to see how much power we are losing with the smaller restrictor plate? I've seen some posts that indicate it's only 1 HP, but no confirmation with dyno results. At this point I'm more concerned with extra 35 pounds and the resulting 100 pound gap between the 1.6 vs. 1.8

My 1.8 is scheduled to dyno next weekend with the new air intake restrictor straw in place and I'm just curious if anyone else has done the comparision so I'll know what to exect.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by WildBill88:
This was a great learning experience with the new 888, however the new restrictions on the early 1.8L has left me pondering.

Top end power has been compromised a lot. While In the past I could hang with the 1.6L and the 99's on top end in 5th gear, I am now getting eaton alive.

The pendulum has moved way too far to the other end for this car, and made it not competitive anymore.

It may also mean that the larger restrictor, with it's slightly better performance, helped just enough to make up for a otherwise "less than perfect" motor. Remember, adjustments are made based on comparison of top level prep cars. You may think you were penalized too much, but it could be that your car is farther away from "perfect" than those you normally run around and you really are behind on an "even" playing field.

That being said, the 1.6L was provided with significant help compared to the other models.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The smallerstraw will also make getting through 'larry, moe and curly' well more critical than it once was for the 1.8L cars.

Those of us in 1.6's could just kiss your asses goodbye if we followed a 1.8 too closely and had to lift if you bobbled in front of us. You guys would just motor away. Now, it will put more emphasis on getting those turns just right.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there a way my particular 1.6L can be provided with even more signficiant help? [Smile]

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bell:
Is there a way my particular 1.6L can be provided with even more signficiant help? [Smile]

I... MUST.... RESIST!!!

--------------------

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

My emphasis added.

mid-2008 vs 2009 weights:
90-93: 2300-2285 = -15 lbs
94-95: 2385-2375 = +10 lbs

So there's 10 pounds more competitiveness for ya right there! [Wink] [Razz]

JD

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bell:

I... MUST.... RESIST!!!
LOL - Bump Drafting don't count Kent!

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

WildBill88

The dyno results are more on 1:1 final gear ratio, and that does not take into account the additional 35lbs.

Houston will be the real test for me as I have more data there I can measure my runs from last year against.

My biggest challange at TWS was top end power. And Yes, Collins made my restrictor, I guess I better check it, lol!

[ 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: WildBill88 ]

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it legal to make your own restrictor?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Future Never Has Been

Blake, it doesn't matter, Bill always forgets to put it back in after the IT race... even at a double national.

--------------------

WildBill88

Kent, Ouch, that hurts!

I have no reason to forget this year, no IT races for me. Its welded in, lol!

Blake
No its not legal, as far as I know, but I needed one for TWS, just in time to run there.

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Blake, it doesn't matter, Bill always forgets to put it back in after the IT race... even at a double national.

Ouch! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Kent, Ouch, that hurts!

I have no reason to forget this year, no IT races for me. Its welded in, lol!

Blake
No its not legal, as far as I know, but I needed one for TWS, just in time to run there.

Had to pick on you a bit....

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: