Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Post Race Impound

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Post Race Impound
Jack Marr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jack Marr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am going to be the Chief Steward at a double National later this year and need your input. As you know, at post race impound the GCR calls for the cars to be weighed plus 2 other inspections. It being a double means I have to come up with 4 inspections.

I'd like to avoid the "mickey mouse" stuff (like stickers) but do things that are meaningful and able to be checked by our Tech crew reasonably quickly.

You know the cars better than I do, what would you like to see checked in impound?

Thanks.

Jack

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-RPs
-Fuel
-Downpipes
-Cam gears
-Fuel PSI
-Ballast mounting
-Shock hat installation

Just a few things that I would have on my list Jack, FWIW.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jack,

You should check with one of the guys on the SMAC. I believe they were putting together an SM tech list or "cheat guide" for people like yourself. It was based on input from a thread here awhile back.

Thanks for getting in front of this. I am sure the competitors will appreciate it.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jack,

Thanks for the work you do and thanks for asking our opinion. I am probably going to be at the Double National that you are talking of and can only hope that I have the "privilege" of finishing high enough to be impounded post race.

The SM compliance team tested us when we were up at Topeka for the Double National last year and they were, in my opinion, very good. Perhaps you would be able to get a list from them. With that said...

- fuel
- weight
- fuel PSI
- gearing
- track width

2009 GCR has a new spec on track width and several of us are unclear on how we or tech would measure this. It would be extremely helpful if tech would allow/provide voluntary testing during the day on Saturday so that we can all see if we are compliant and thus clear the air for any debates later in the year if/when we are tested in impound.

Additionally please request assurances from tech that the scales are accurate for measuring SM. Last week at MSR Houston I received 3 wildly different measurements. On one occasion I tested at 2404, questioned the figure, tech checked calibration and pad spacing, I rolled back on and came up at 2459 (I did not leave the area so no change in my car). This caused me and others to have lack of confidence in measurements. Tech was equally concerned but I am not sure of their resolution.

Craig J

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Craig,

Did they use 4 pads or 2 to weigh the car? I have seen them be off quite a bit at Hallett when they only use 2 pads.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

cnj

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

4 pads Casey.

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yah first of all i would not mention which double nat. you are going too so people wont "adjust" to the full blown tech inspection weekend. It needs to be a surprise.

Fuel ,
Fuel PSI !!! since i have never seen this done at an event ever.
Air flow meters on 1.8 cars (check for resistors etc)

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i agree with you craig, the scales at the MSR event were so far off it was rediculous, they need to have a certified set of scales that are properly spaced apart so that the car sits square on all 4 pads. And it would be nice if the people running the scales would work with the drivers and listen to them when they know the weight of their car is way off.

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The SOWDIV scales have not worked correctly for a long time. This is widely known among racers, but cannot be duplicated using the small weights (250#) used for testing and calibration. Therefore, SOWDIV tech insists the scales are accurate. It is my understanding that they have not been sent off for calibration in many years.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

cnj

I will give credit to the SOWDIV tech guys in that when I questioned the weight (which was 50 pounds off from my expectations) they did not have any attitude. They immediately pushed me off, recalibrated and then put me back on (only to show an immediate weight gain of 54 pounds).

I heard tech discussing how they may need to adjust the pad spacing specifically for each class and that they were going to call Longacre. I dont know if they actually did this or whether this will be communicated to the rest of the tech team.

I will say this, if I am DQ'd this year for weight, I intend to protest the calibration and procedure and I would encourage others to do the same. We need to have confidence in these measurements. Being off by 2 pounds and not knowing it is one thing - but 50?

Craig J

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: