Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » TMS may 1-3

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: TMS may 1-3
suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Today was interesting to say the least, can't wait till tommorow when it will be wet, had a great race with Craig, and there were only a couple minor incidents and no totaled cars so that is good. [thumbsup]

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was the TARD really 3rd after qualifying?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results???

York gets out qualified by his old 1.6 motor again. Come on James! [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I know is Reynolds won and James York was second.
Way to go guysm congrats!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yesterday:

Reynolds
York
Rushing
Verges
McSpadden (I did indeed suck his fumes most of the race)
Janssen

Today (I think I have it right - lead kept changing in front of me):

Phillips
Rushing
Fumes Mc Spadden
Reynolds
York
Janssen

Conditions were fun as it was warm, not hot yesterday and slightly damp today. I had a great race with Fumes yesterday and together we tried desperately to reel in Andy R but we had nothing for him. I then tried to get by Aaron - but youth and experience triumphed over age and inexperience.

Today James York did a killer lap to get pole and spent the first part of the race trying to keep the position. Tough crowd and it was fun to watch top 5 as they swapped position probably 10 times.

Tire wear was interesting. My previous challenges with R888s at TWS in particular was graining, outer edge tire wear, extremely rapid tire wear (tires essential shot after 4 sessions) and tires getting greasy after about 5-6 laps. I came to TMS with 2 sets of new 3/32 R888's and used a test day to very gently scrub them and bring them up to temperature. My goal was to get them to full temp but to not get the really bad graining that I have had in my recent sets of tires which I went out and ran hot on. I ran only 3 laps on each set with the first lap very slow and the last lap at about 80%. No graining (I think this is probably the thing to do - time will tell if others report the same result). I did the same for a set of James Yorks tires so it will be interesting to see what his wear was (I forgot to ask him). The other thing we did in prep was to increase camber from 2.2 in front to 2.5 and 2.8 to 3.0 on back. We also added Fat Cat bump stops. I run at zero toe back and front (for those who are trying to figure the tire thing out and want data).

The temp yesterday was around 80 degrees. Some opinions:
1. Tires wore evenly. So - R888's seem to like more camber, at least on my 99. York has reported similar results.
2. Tires did not get particularly greasy during the race. Lack of heat? Due to tires being gentle heat cycled? We will find out when we go to TWS next month when I will (again) gently heat cycle tires and it will be sure to be Texas hot.
3. Tire wear was better than at TWS but not a lot, essentially just more even. I got 4 sessions (2 short qualis, one regional race and one national race) and decided today that the tires might not survive the National quali/race so changed to a new set. Yesterdays tires will now become my practice tires or perhaps tires for a regional race. I will be very surprised if I can get more than 3 more sessions out of them.

So I guess after 9 races so far on R888's I am resigned to budgeting for one set of tires per double National (about 50% increase in my tire budget over last year). On the other hand I quite like driving on them. I am hopeful that as the season goes on we will learn from each other and possibly be able to extend the life of the tires - but I am not going to hold my breath.

Yes Kent, Tard did out qualify James on his old motor <LOL>. Then he tried to convert his SM into a flying machine during the race. That didn't seem to be completely successful.

Craig J

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:

Yes Kent, Tard did out qualify James on his old motor <LOL>. Then he tried to convert his SM into a flying machine during the race. That didn't seem to be completely successful.

Craig J

Craig,
Please elaborate!!!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

he jumped phillips outside tire on turn 1 and 2 and went sailing into the sky.

--------------------

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a good time this weekend. Craig pretty well summed it up above, I finished 2nd Saturday and fell back to 5th today after starting on pole. With the competition as close and as tough as it is, a couple mistakes and back you go. Would have been a great race video, if I remembered to have taken my lens cap off. Doh!

RE Tire Wear.
I ran the tires Craig scrubbed in for me for 3 sessions (2 qual; 1 race) and wear was acceptable (maybe down to 2/32" from 3/32" start). With the lower temperature this weekend, they seemed fairly consistent throughout the run.

Congrats to Matt on John on the wins each day.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Atleast someone broke up Reynolds win streak. We can't have another big head in the SW Div. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Matt Reynolds

Region: Southwest
Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I save that position for you at all times blake!

It was a fun and informant weekend. The 1.6 was the car to have at this track this year. The amount of torque coming onto nascar 3 out of the infield was amazing. William, congrats on 3rd place qualifier on saturday. John and Andy did a great job on sunday working together and stayed consistent to keep up. I wish i would have had somebody to work with, but shoulda, coulda woulda. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:

I wish i would have had somebody to work with, but shoulda, coulda woulda. [Roll Eyes]

No one wants to help the points leader? waa waa [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Mr ED

Region: lonestar
Car #: 11
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr ED     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:

I wish i would have had somebody to work with, but shoulda, coulda woulda. [Roll Eyes]

No one wants to help the points leader? waa waa [Big Grin]
That will be a lesson for Matt and Aaron [Smash]

It was great racing all weekend with really great driving, some on track drama, and lots of tech. All passed tech except a couple light weights on morning one.
Nationals new bore measuring device was plus or minus .020"... poor Aaron.

Thumbs up to Matt and John, with mention to Andy. Kieth, Aaron, James, and Craig for a stellar show.

Ed

--------------------
Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care!
ww.gilfusracing.com

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

It was a fun and informant weekend. The 1.6 was the car to have at this track this year. The amount of torque coming onto nascar 3 out of the infield was amazing. William, congrats on 3rd place qualifier on saturday. John and Andy did a great job on sunday working together and stayed consistent to keep up. I wish i would have had somebody to work with, but shoulda, coulda woulda. [Roll Eyes]

Yes, great fun this weekend--more than I expected from the roval... Congrats to Matt and John for the hard faught victories. Sorry that Keith had so much bad luck--he was real quick too.

On Saturday, I lost the draft from Matt, Keith, and James after getting more than "tapped" leaving the infield on lap 1. I was out in no-man's land trying 110% to track them down by myself and my car wasn't working well (loose nascar 1/2, push infield rt's). Fixed the setup for Sunday and John and I did work well together on Sunday, passing where it didn't slow the two of us down much. I am still pulling my hair though for going just a bit too deep entering the infield on the last lap and letting John take the lead--just didn't need to push the braking zone that much after watching my video. Lots to learn on my part still...

Let's tell the whole story here with the 1.6 vs '99 though... Yes, the 1.6 could definitely pull the '99's and pass them at ~start/finish (1.6 advantage), but both John and I (1.6's) could not keep a lead gained down the front straight of less than 2-3 car lengths going around the ripply/bumpy nascar 1 and 2 -- Matt, Aaron, and James ('99's) all made up measurable time that John and I had gained going in and could get under us going into the braking zone leading onto the infield. (Same pattern happened last year when I watched the same race last year.) The 1.6 lack of torque at <6000rpm in fifth around nascar 1 and 2 and the stiffer '99 chassis probably gave the '99 the advantage here. All in all, in my opinion, the two cars were pretty close to equal over the course of a lap, with each having a particular strength on key parts of the course.

--------------------
Andy Rushing

Veteran Member

I wish i would have had somebody to work with, but shoulda, coulda woulda. [Roll Eyes] [/qb][/QUOTE]No one wants to help the points leader? waa waa

Word blake, haha,

somebody had to contain you matt otherwise you would have pulled away again.

--------------------

caesss Verified Driver

Region: Southwest
Car #: 49
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for caesss   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to those of you in the front. I had the “honor” ;-) of being in a garage next to Matt and his crew this past weekend. I don't know what was more fun for me, the actual race or watching Matt's crew meticulously and constantly work on his car - checklist, process, structure, cleanliness, thoroughness and attention to every single detail - Amazing!

First time at TMS for me, made it to the low 41s, kept the car in one piece, made a few errors at race time but learned a lot about the track.

In case you missed it, there was a Flying Miata on Saturday. The video is now posted on my site - YozoY.com

Enjoy!

CV

--------------------
Caesar Vielmas
YozoY.com | blu27.com

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took a look at Caesar's video and I did not fly that high or far [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ouch! I hope you didn't hurt that little red car :-)

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bell:
Ouch! I hope you didn't hurt that little red car :-)

It might be a little worse for wear after this weekend.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA