Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » New SM Driver - need direction

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New SM Driver - need direction
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey everyone, my name is Lee Tilton and I live in Madisonville, LA. I just bought an SM that was prepped by RP at Summit Point. I have a couple of questions regarding driving the car in the SW Div.

The car has a NASA logbook and the annual tech was done in Nov 2008. How do I get a SCCA logbook and where do I need to get the tech done?

I have quite a bit of autocross experience having driven a Factory Five Cobra to a regional championship in 2003. I currently drive a formula car in the A-mod class. I also did the One Lap of America (lap puppy) in a 700hp 'vette and finished 30th out of 66 cars. I will also be racing the SM in the local race series at No Problem beginning in October, but that is not sanctioned by SCCA or NASA.

Having said all of that, does any of this have any value in obtaining a SCCA license? I can take a FAASST course locally in October. Will my experience get me a waiver for the second school? Should I just wait and do the Texas Double school in December?

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated. I look forward to becoming a part of the SOWDIV community.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The FAASST course is well worth the time and money. It will teach you a lot about racing, and winning, that you will not learn in an SCCA school. With the FAASST school, you only need one SCCA school to get a license.
wheel

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee,

PM me some contact information and I will look you up and coach you on your choices. I had exactly the same questions and options when I started in late 2003.

As far as I know, I am the only driver in LA that drives SM in SCCA regularly.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA