Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Eagles Canyon Lap Times

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Eagles Canyon Lap Times
jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Almost have my Miata ready for tech/log book. Planning to run the Double School at TMS in December. In the mean time I've been running DE's with the Porsche Club at Eagles Canyon and MSR Cresson. I know that being competitive right away is a long shot, but I'd like to be as close as possible.

This past weekend running at Eagles Canyon my best estimated lap time, using my camera, was a 2:20. This is a good 10 seconds off the pace. I've watched some of the videos and see some improvements in my line, but where am I going to make up 10 seconds?

The car is set up as close to the JD setup guide as I could get it. 0 toe all around, 2.5 Camber front, ~2.7 rear. Ride height was at ~5 for saturday, but I kept bouncing off the bump stops so I went up a turn on all 4 corners (stock '90 shock hats). I'm running Falken Azenis (run in 4 DE's last year and this past weekend) right now with 16.5 lb Enekei's. EB green pads, Springfield Dyno exhaust, and 3" Weapon R cold air intake. Engine is from the bone yard, but runs really strong. Have not done a leak down or compression test. It also has the original VLSD differential. I was really pushing the car as hard as I could. But I think I was braking too soon and not carrying enough speed in the corners.

How much time will wheels and tires gain me? How much time is a Torsen/Mazda Comp differential worth?

Here video of my best laps, the sound is not very good. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2uZ1VhRM4

--------------------
Jason Ball

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

jj,

A fast lap around ECR in a SM is in the 2.07's. Average lapping time for a Regional race is probably around 2.12 with back of pack at around 2.16. National racers (they have not had one at ECR) will probably improve the average by 2 seconds.

Toyo R888's might give you 3-4 seconds a lap. I don't think a torsen will make a huge difference given the nature of the track, but others might disagree and I don't have data to back up my opinion. You are not as far off the pace as you might think given you are new to it.

I know the track well and I instruct for PCA so I know what we teach you. You are doing pretty decent lines but you will find the extra time by (surprise) simply driving faster. This will automatically happen when you are running with racers in identical cars and you can see the speed they go into corners. DE's are usually a good bit slower. Without data it is hard to tell but yes, you probably are not going in fast enough (ie. over braking). Easy to say but harder to execute.

I am a member at ECR and probably will be up there in the next month. If you want some help, PM me and I would be happy to have you come out and we can do some lead follow. Buy some R888's so you can get used to them. Its a big difference from street tires.

If you really want to have a kick start in your driving, go to one of Team MER SM schools at MSR Cresson. Eric Foss and Jason Saini will find you at least 2 seconds a lap in two days and it will stick with you. Alternatively hire Eric for some track day coaching. It all depends how fast you want to advance.

Craig J

Dainbramage

Car #: 78
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dainbramage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you at the School in December. I am trying to get everything in order to start the 2010 season. Maybe we can battle for the rookie of the year title!

--------------------
Joe Self - NASA TX #78 Red/White

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm certainly up for the challenge. Its taking me alomost 2 yrs to put my car together. So I'm really looking forward to racing vs. all the wrenching I've been doing. [Smile]

Jason

--------------------
Jason Ball

rob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't compete in SM, but the single thing I did that made the most improvement was driving right seat in my own car with a top racer. He scared the living day lights out of me, but from that day I knew the actual feeling of going fast. This was on a test day and that race weekend I dropped 3-4 seconds on TWS 2.9 and went from mid/back pack to podiums (in SRX7).

FlyBrySM

Region: Texas-SW Div.
Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FlyBrySM     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason
Don't worry about your times now, you have the competitive spirit, you will get there with time.

Yes, driving with your fellow racers will make you faster, especially as you improve your race craft.

In March at the first Regional, I qualified with a 2:15, then ran 2:12's & 2:13's in the race. I suck at qualifying! But don't fret, Keith V. smoked us all running high 2:07's!

A rookie buddy of mine showed up, first time at ECR, and got down to 2:15's.

It will happen, just let it come and drive your best.

I'll hot lap with you anytime when you get out there. Just look me up, Flyin' Bryan, SM #54, Red/Silver, having fun with a big smile.

--------------------
2 rear diffs. 1 transmission, 1 PPF, & a few dents!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: