Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Chassis Setup Needed

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Chassis Setup Needed
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My son and I have just purchased a 1993 SM. It was last prepped by RP Performance, but we have no idea what setup is on the car.

Who provides setup services in the Texas/Louisiana area? We are looking for a beginner's setup and plan on running laps at TWS, NPR (FAASST school), and TMS (Dec. SCCA school).

Please let me know what services you provide, ballpark costs, and required lead time for service. We are located outside of New Orleans.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you have raced before talk to MER at:

Located at Motorsport Ranch
9101 East Highway 377
Cresson, TX 76035

ph: 817.396.4831
fx: 817.887.4212

If you haven't raced in SM before you could probably get away with just setting the car up with an even amount of clearance - with maybe a little rake (You can measure to the pinch welds to get pretty close but the amount of clearance to the pinch welds differs depending on the shock tops you have - what does the car have?) After you set the ride heights take it to an alignment shop (have the alignment done with the driver in the car). Once you have a weekend or two in the car then spend the money on MER.

Last year I finished a car on Saturday and took it to the track Sunday with this set-up. It handled better then it ever did right off the scales???

Good luck,

MZ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MZ, the car has 99 hats. The front ride height is 4.75 and the rear is 5". I used to race dirt mods so I am familiar with cross weights and stuff, but have never fooled with an IRS before. I am more concerned about the camber/toe settings in the rear. There seems to be alot of rear camber and a slight toe out. Just wanted to make sure my son (newbie) gets off on the right foot setup wise.

Thanks for the MER info. It looks like all the major setup guys are in Texas. Lousyana is not the motor racing capital of the south!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To tell you the truth most of us run with as much camber as we can get all the way around.

Some guys run with a crazy toe settings. Depends on how much normally I run zero.

Your ride heights with 99 hats are probably ok, is that with the driver in the car? Might be a little high if you have the fat cat bump stops.

I'd set the alignment at a tire shop and run it some before spending money on set up work with MER, it's going to take some time to get the car on the edge.

There is a guy in Lafayette - James York, check out the thread about the Sprints he's posted over there - drop him a PM he might be able to help you find someone in LA.

Good luck,

MZ

Z-MAN Verified Driver

But if you're not opposed to spending a little money the guys at MER are top notch, they have an SM clinic - they will help you with set up, slight mods/tricks and they have driver coaching as well. A couple of the old SM and MX-5 champions Eric Foss and Jason Saini were working there last time I talked to them.

They will definitely get your program up and running in the right direction.

MZ

Thanks again. I have been in touch with James, he live a few miles from my work. I do not have the fat cats and the height is without driver.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Those heights are probably good to start out at.

All set up work should be done with the driver in the car and what ever fuel you think your going to run. Some want the finishing fuel, some want mid race, some starting fuel? Your call you should also set the tire pressure at the same every time. I set them at 36 all the way around when I start and recheck them when I'm done.

You coming up to Hallett in July?

MZ

Thinking about Hallett. Need to get my license first.

You set the tires at 36 cold?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee,

Welcome to SM racing and welcome to the SW Div racing scene.

You have already connected with James which is good. He will provide excellent advice which you can trust.

Costs for professional set up typically run $250-300. I personally think that you should go ahead and do this immediately as a good setup will make the car easier to drive which can be very helpful when starting. MER does excellent work (have done most of my setups), John Phillips (Phillips Race Prep) in Houston is also extremely knowledgeable and Ed Gilfus from Austin often comes to the track with complete set up gear and is great to work with.

Generally most in SW Div set up their car with no rake, 50-50.3% cross weight (depending on track), as much camber as you can get in the front and around .5 degrees additional in the rear. Start with zero toe front and rear. Tire pressures are open to debate with the R888 but I personally start at around 32 pounds for a hot pressure of 38. Some in SW Div have tried a considerably lower pressure with a hot of around 32 - and they report success. RA-1's have been generally set at 36-38 hot thus starting at around 30-32 cold. You have to run hard to pick up 6 pounds. A race rookie may not gain that much heat in the tires.

Craig J

Craig, thanks for the info. I put a call into John Phillips since he is the closest to New Orleans (?!)

I plan on coming to the August MSRH event to get my SCCA annual tech (car has NASA logbook) and to be a corner worker. Hope to meet a lot of y'all there.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

klanasa

Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for klanasa     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee,

I am a fellow Louisiana Spec Miata racer out of Baton Rouge and I use Stan Cosper in Lafayette. Stan owns Stan's Automotive and is also one of the best Spec Miata racers at NPR. In fact, he just won the Lemon's race a few weeks back.

Stan Cosper @ Stan's Automotive in Lafayette

klanasa

Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for klanasa     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee,

I am a fellow Louisiana Spec Miata racer out of Baton Rouge and I use Stan Cosper in Lafayette. Stan owns Stan's Automotive and is also one of the best Spec Miata racers at NPR. In fact, he just won the Lemon's race a few weeks back.

Stan Cosper @ Stan's Automotive in Lafayette

caesss Verified Driver

Region: Southwest
Car #: 49
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for caesss   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee,
If you are coming to MSR Houston talk to Louie Rivera from Longhorn Raceworks - 281.881.3853. He is located at the track in building C.

He has been doing all the work on my car for the past 18 months. And I know he has helped quite a few others in this board. He has been helping me progressively changing my setup since I started.

We started very safe and have slowly been moving to a more aggressive set up (Not quite there yet but close).

I'm not as experienced as many of the guys here but I'm now beginning to notice the subtleties of the different tweaks we are making.

Shameless plug - Take a look at the videos on YozoY.com. I have quite a few at MSRH. I hope it helps you in preparation for the race. We are running CW I think. PM me if I can help you with anything else.

Good Luck and see you there.

--------------------
Caesar Vielmas
YozoY.com | blu27.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: