Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Finishing Suspension

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Finishing Suspension
MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am about to finish the suspension overhaul. Is there any bolts that need some antiseize before I crank everything down. Also, according to the fatcat website they say to put locktite blue on the shock threads, I didn't get any with my kit. Do the threads require the locktite?

Some things I have learned that I am sure you vets all know;
Rear hub rehab sucks,
bent upper control arms suck,
100+ temps coming off driveway while wrenching on car sucks, building a Spec Miata leads to owning many new tools.

Thanks for your help and advise.

--------------------
Michael Ross

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there a reason you don't want to use locktite on the shock threads?

Personally, I put antiseize on things that I don't want to beat apart (again), like that big, long bolt that holds the rear hub carrier to the lower control arm, on the shanks of the bolts for the bottom of the shock, anywhere that there's metal on metal contact.

-Denny

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MPR:
You'll need to buy the Locktite. And yes you do want to apply it to the FatCal upper mount bolts. BTW, be sure you buy blue. The other colors are designed for various applications (like hot locations).
Rick
P.S. Just consider the tool purchases a personal economic stimulus plan!

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't used the Blue Loctite before so I wanted to make sure that it was waranted. I know the red will keep your parts together forever. I will get some of the Blue Locktite tonight. I wanted to make sure that antiseize was a good idea before I started gooping up everything.

Thanks for the help gentlmen.

Michael

--------------------
Michael Ross

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also just finished installing the spec suspension along with the FatCat parts and was curious if the bumpstop that goes over the shaft of the shock should float freely on the shaft or should it stay up near the shock top mount?

--------------------
Ken

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Wilkinson:
I also just finished installing the spec suspension along with the FatCat parts and was curious if the bumpstop that goes over the shaft of the shock should float freely on the shaft or should it stay up near the shock top mount?

It floats freely.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: