Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Newbie First Race Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Newbie First Race Question
MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My practice tires are running low on tread, do vendors usually attend regional races that will sell, mount and balance a new set of shaved tires?

--------------------
Michael Ross

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
My practice tires are running low on tread, do vendors usually attend regional races that will sell, mount and balance a new set of shaved tires?

I wouldn't count on it. I'd get a set before I went.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would count on them not being there, and if they are, they will not have what you need. (Unless you contact them up front and order what you need)

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
(Unless you contact them up front and order what you need) [/QB]

+1
Always a good idea to make speaks with them BEFORE you leave for the track.
Ask me how I know.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is usually someone who can mount tires for you, but he's really proud of it...

Nobody selling Toyos..

You'd do better to plan ahead, here in the SoWdiv

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

MPR22

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the advice. I will spend away today.

--------------------
Michael Ross

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Michael,

I get my tires from Treadzone (speak to Joe). I thought it odd to have to go so far out of Texas to buy tires - but he has been extremely responsive. You can get the tires shipped directly to a Discount Tire (or similar) and get them mounted and balanced there for about 30% less than the cost at the track.

For what it is worth if you are buying RA-1's, consider 4/32" shave if you want some longevity, but a tad slower, 3/32" if you are feeling racy (most of the front of the grid will be 3/32"). 4/32" is fine unless you have a bunch of experience.

Craig J

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^+1 for Joe at Treadzone. Great service!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

caesss Verified Driver

Car #: 49
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for caesss   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup] for Joe at Treadzone. Great Service!!!

If you mount and balance at the track, you'll pay a premium for convenience. 30%? sounds about right but what's 30 or 40 bucks amongst us friends??....I guess your gas for the weekend.

RE: Tire wear - I've been told that RA-1's hold up pretty well almost all the way down till they start showing cord. I guess that means, don't get rid of them too soon.

Perhaps some of the more experienced guys on the board can chime in on that. I don't have enough experience to validate that but when I heard it it was music to my ears since the 888 fade quickly mid-way through their life.

--------------------
Caesar Vielmas
YozoY.com | blu27.com

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run the RA-1s until they cord. The last sessions are often the fastest.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Zetterstrom:
The last sessions are often the fastest.

My guess it's more about the lower weight of a near finished tire than some "grip magic" that occurs as we near the cords. It's pretty amazing what 3-4 pounds less rotating mass per wheel will do for acceleration. [thumbsup]
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 for Joe's shave, has it down perfect!

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^ I'm glad you mentioned the shave. I have seen some other shaves that came from other "less expensive" sources. Not only were they not down to 4/32, they looked like someone had done the shave with a wood chisel.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Adroitracer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 80
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adroitracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Stay away from anyone trying to shave without the proper equipment. I had to buy tires hand shaved like that once because I did not think ahead to buy tires before a race weekend. You'll spend so much time with white knuckles focusing on the horrible vibrations that by the time they wear down enough to be enjoyed they are ready to be thrown away.

I have used Joe's and they are excellent. His shipping is reasonable, and the service is exceptional.

--------------------
Sponsors: Masy Systems, Inc (Validation/calibration/biostorage). http://www.masy.com
nanoCLEAN (Cleanroom cleaning services). http://www.nanoclean.us

MPR22

a pair of 4/32 shaves are in the mail.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: