Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » TWS March Double National, March 5-7, 2010 (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: TWS March Double National, March 5-7, 2010
guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

high end quality & refined talent must always be careful in picking and choosing his mounts -
no five dolla sidewalk quickie rides for him
[burst]
[duck]

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

now, if Charlie tunes his rocketship 1.6 to 122/106 and brings it down himself to Texas, hell, Volante pays the entry, i'll pay for a brand new set of 2/32's and James D is good to go.
mr Trohmblay was being a might bit difficult in arranging for the big fella to drive the GT #70 at Homestead. And there was no room at the Inn with the 'black sheep' in the Racers Edge RX8.
[Big Grin]

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now we're talking.

Sam McSpadden and Jeff Hoolbrook racing...I wish I could race this weekend and would like to see some more of the WASMRRS regulars out there!

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
now, if Charlie tunes his rocketship 1.6 to 122/106 and brings it down himself to Texas, hell, Volante pays the entry, i'll pay for a brand new set of 2/32's and James D is good to go.
mr Trohmblay was being a might bit difficult in arranging for the big fella to drive the GT #70 at Homestead. And there was no room at the Inn with the 'black sheep' in the Racers Edge RX8.
[Big Grin]

I'll buy the plane ticket. That ole boy is racing for free! Daniels would be proud.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

WildBill88

Car #: 18
Year : 99 & 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WildBill88   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I can get the gremlins out of my 99, I should be there.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is anyone going to be there Thursday morning that has a laptop I can borrow to set up my Traqmate?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
Is anyone going to be there Thursday morning that has a laptop I can borrow to set up my Traqmate?

Blake, you don't need no stinkin' Traqmate! You could drive TWS blind folded and finish ahead of half the field.

Tell your dad to give me a discount on the ballast and I'll bring a laptop you can borrow, just be sure and download all of your data for the weekend on the laptop before you return it [Smile] I should be there by 7:30 Thursday AM.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
quote:

Blake, you don't need no stinkin' Traqmate! You could drive TWS blind folded and finish ahead of half the field.

Tell your dad to give me a discount on the ballast and I'll bring a laptop you can borrow, just be sure and download all of your data for the weekend on the laptop before you return it [Smile] I should be there by 7:30 Thursday AM.

Discount, he'd probably charge you extra for helping me [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Craig Berry

Region: SW
Car #: 24
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Craig Berry     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake, I have one as well with nothing but T-Mate on it....Luke and I will be there early thurs. You are more than welcome if you need it.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Yeah, I'll be there and my laptop has TraqMate on it.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:

Yeah, I'll be there and my laptop has TraqMate on it.
Should have asked you on Sunday!

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

taylorf Verified Driver

Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Attention All!!!!!

TWS has decided to cancel the test day tomorrow! They said to wait and go Friday! [help]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by taylorf:
Attention All!!!!!

TWS has decided to cancel the test day tomorrow! They said to wait and go Friday! [help]

That is F'ed up

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Taylor, how did you hear that I got an email yesterday and 10PM that said it was on and nothing since?

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
Taylor, how did you hear that I got an email yesterday and 10PM that said it was on and nothing since?

Thursday has been deemed a 99 only test day.

Lol!!!!!

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Luke Bickham

Car #: 66
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Luke Bickham     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why did TWS cancel the test day?

taylorf Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

TEST DAY IS ON FOR TOMORROW AT TWS.

I was just trying to mess with you guys since I am not running tomorrow and it apparently worked.

Again, test day is on...just stay in the grass. [tipsy]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Luke Bickham

Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Luke Bickham     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just called TWS in a panic. Thanks, Taylor:)

MPR22

Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think we should impose a LeMons penalty to Taylor. I will bring the welder if someone will supply the chicken to weld to his car.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

maybe just a rainbow sticker would be good enough

quote:
Originally posted by techchris:

He might like that [Smile]

--------------------

taylorf Verified Driver

quote:
quote:

You can put anything you like on it! Just send a set of 4/32's with the paint/decals/dress...whatever.
I ripped a few of the beads mounting up some old rocks for this weekend from 2005 that I found behind John's shop. [banghead]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
I think we should impose a LeMons penalty to Taylor. I will bring the welder if someone will supply the chicken to weld to his car.

Let me see if the plasma cutter is working today. If it is, I'll cut a chicken out of 1/8th plate and bring my welder.

--------------------

quote:
quote:
quote:

You can put anything you like on it! Just send a set of 4/32's with the paint/decals/dress...whatever.
I ripped a few of the beads mounting up some old rocks for this weekend from 2005 that I found behind John's shop. [banghead]

I will trade you a set of new 3/32 for your '99 [Smile]

--------------------

MPR22

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

Like we are going to trust what you say after the attempted fake out with the practice session. Everyone knows the 2005 Ra-1s were uber fast compared to today's compounds. They have been sitting in climate controlled storage for half a decade so you could smoke the 99's through 1,2.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Nothing short of a forehead tattoo will do!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well all this p^$^y weak-ass trash talk and no reports on practice day? Who was fast? Who unplugged their transponder (cough-Blake-cough)? Who hit whom? In this day and age of smart phones, there are no excuses not to have up to the minute reports.

--------------------

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:
Well all this p^$^y weak-ass trash talk and no reports on practice day? Who was fast? Who unplugged their transponder (cough-Blake-cough)? Who hit whom? In this day and age of smart phones, there are no excuses not to have up to the minute reports.

I was slow.... running rich. Will run a different set of code in the morning.

--------------------

MegaModerator

I broke. More than once. The End.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Low Budget Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had to order a cheater 99 ECU. Willy's 99 Shop had one in stock so no worries.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
I had to order a cheater 99 ECU. Willy's 99 Shop had one in stock so no worries.

it appears that you go the prototype Gale. Blake got second generation model, 1:58.983. McSpadden 2:00.054. Reynolds 2:00.189.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Mr ED

Region: lonestar
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr ED     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Todays race was won by BHMC Blake "High Maintenance" Clements

2nd Side Show Matt
3rd Aaron

Cheers
Mr Ed

--------------------
Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care!
ww.gilfusracing.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats BFC, Awesome race win, flag to flag. Do you have two in ya?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

Sunday National

Clements
McSpadden
Combs
Rushing
Franklin
Berry
Mathes
York
Ferranti
Dejarnett

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

99 all the way!

Good job guys! Sorry I couldn't make it there this weekend to cheer you on. Too busy around here lately.

What happened to Matt?

Good job Blake, Aaron, Jesse, Andy, Taylor (low power?), et. al.

--------------------

99 all the way!

Oh yeah, I hope you guys are going to post video...except for Blake. Sounds like that will be boring.

--------------------

MegaModerator

Matt spun in the rain on the restart passing me for the lead,

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Blake

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MPR22

Congrats Blake and thanks for the help.

Thanks to the JP3 racers and crew for the help. I know todays race didn't show it but I learned a lot from all of you.

--------------------
Michael Ross

MegaModerator

Alright, so here comes the long winded post of the year.

First off, I had a great weekend, probably the best of my long racing "career". It was great to see old friends and make some new ones along the way. I think I said it best when I emailed my dad on vacation from Bali, Indonesia and said "Its really nice here, but I'd rather be at the race track". Weekends like this are what has motivated me throughout my 13 years in this sport.

I think my biggest feat of the weekend was running a 1.58.9 in the Saturday morning qualifying, what a lap that was. I've been trying for YEARS to get down into the deep 1.59s after doing it in testing a few times. The weather was perfect and I was able to rip off a good one. Saturday's race looked to have a good battle behind me for 2nd, which let me slowly inch away from the field.

Sunday was a different story, and Matt Reynolds kept me honest all race. I ran 3 consecutive identical laps trying to get away from him and he would always get back to my bumper by T1. The double yellow interrupted the fun we had, and Matt spun in the rain that started on the restart. He is a class act and an excellent driver and hated to see him spin off after the great battle we had. I had to fight off attacks from Aaron and Jesse while getting accustomed to the wet track. Trust me, you don't want to see two red rockets in your mirrors with 1 lap to go! I was able to hold them off for the win after getting my bearings and remembering the rain line at TWS.

I don't get to do this too often anymore, and that makes it even that much more special. I couldn't have done it without the help of John Phillips and the PhillipsRacePrep crew. They tore my car apart 2 times trying to find mystery noises, made too many trips on the scale pads, and listed to me complain about a car that was running pretty fast laps. Thanks for putting up with "BHMC" [Wink]

I also have to thank Jim Drago for all of his help via the "Spec Miata Setup Hotline". You always have the hot setup, even when you're half a country away. He built this hot rod and it is probably the best car I've had.

Big thanks to Mike Rossini at Rossini Racing Products for the AWESOME new engine that we picked up in Sebring when my 108k mile motor decided it was time for some ventilation. The motor performed flawlessly and ran with the best of them!

Also a thanks MiataCage.com for all the support in building the car, Carbotech for the best stopping power in the business, Traqmate for the easiest data analysis out there, and WBR Graphics for keeping me looking cool.

Thanks again for the congrats and hope to see many of you again soon.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Low Budget Member

Great job Blake, you car and driving skills were hooked up all weekend. With all of the talent that keeps showing up for this March TWS race a top 10 finish is difficult for a budget racer, or one with lot's of money for that matter.

Enjoyed racing with everyone this weekend. Had fun until my crate motor decided to blow up on lap 5 of the Sunday race!

[ 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: trimless1 ]

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Correction - its "BFMHC" !

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

taylorf Verified Driver

Congrats Blake!

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I also have to thank Jim Drago for all of his help via the "Spec Miata Setup Hotline". You always have the hot setup, even when you're half a country away.

Sometimes even when in other countries! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Congrats again Blake, you deserved a good weekend.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats guys.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Matt Reynolds

Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great job Blake. I really enjoyed racing with you again. I misjudged the amount of water on the track for the restart and broke too litle too late, but I would rather try a pass for the lead than follow you around for two more laps! Also, I don't think I ever want to see two red rockets in my rearview. I would be concerned on how they got there in the first place.

It was fun racing with Jesse and Andy again as well. It has been a while and they have both turned up their driving. This year is going to be a good one!

Sideshow

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

MPR22

Will and Kent,

My wife was kind enough to ask me this morning, who my new friends were since I forgot to introduce you to her on Sat. I appologize for not introducing you to Jill. Racing is like rubbing my head an patting my tummy, I can only do one thing at a time right now. Thanks for taking the freshman under your wing this weekend.

--------------------
Michael Ross

MegaModerator

quote:
Will and Kent,

My wife was kind enough to ask me this morning, who my new friends were since I forgot to introduce you to her on Sat. I appologize for not introducing you to Jill. Racing is like rubbing my head an patting my tummy, I can only do one thing at a time right now. Thanks for taking the freshman under your wing this weekend.

Michael
You poor #$%! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was great to see you Blake--a perfect weekend for you I'd say, now go back across the ocean... [Wink] Also great to see Jesse back, and staying true to the 1.6L, though not sure how long that will last [Smile] Matt and Aaron drove smart and consistently in qual and the races. Sorry to see the crunched cars on Sunday though...

My weekend was "frustrating" in a word, though most of it was my lack of prep effort (don't short cut on the alignment/setup) and intelligent pre-race decisions (tire choices). Qual was good on Saturday, but the car was setup very poorly for the long haul of the race despite running with Matt and Aaron for the first 5 laps. I made a setup change Saturday night to keep the car under me for all of Sunday's race, but made the absolute wrong decision on tires for qualifying (too much offseason and cobwebs on the brain...). Picked some great rubber for the race and moved from 12th to 4th just missing Jesse at the end. The car was working perfectly with the change and I think I would have had something for Matt and/or Blake if I had qual'ed on the front 2 rows like Saturday.

I can offer my report on the new "top prep", legal 1.6L relative to last year's... Surprise, surprise, it is down on peak power relative to last year and it is down where it really matters (6700-7100)--you can feel the more rapid roll off in power compared to last year. If the 1.6 had a chance at RA to win last year (and it did not I believe--that's why I didn't go), it has no chance to win at RA this year if it will be competing against '99s like Blake's and Matt's. Competing at TWS is very different than competing at RA... (multiple long 5th gear straights with associated wind resistance + hills is all the difference)

--------------------
Andy Rushing

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Will and Kent,

Michael
You poor #$%! [Big Grin]

They have already indoctrinated me on what is and isn't legal in a 1.6. I have several items that will get me protested if I could sniff mid pack with my 104-107 hp monster.

All kidding aside they are great guys, smart as whips too.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: