Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-West » Gatorama LeMons race

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Gatorama LeMons race
MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who is racing in two weeks and what are you driving. Ran into Mr. Carter at the Houston region autocross this weekend and he is driving a nifty old VW with about 40 hp from the sound of it. Good seeing you Kent.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there... red 1st gen RX7; will be paddocked with the cheater Mitsu Mirage, TR7 and maybe the Blue goose.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be there with my team running the same old 1971 BMW 1602 we affectionately call "Rusty". This is our 4th Lemons race in the car and it has yet to make it through the weekend without a mechanical failure or two. Held together with zip ties and j-b weld we are hoping for a good effort this time!

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris,
Just because we beat you and you are cheating doesn't mean that we are cheating...

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Chris Taylor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey now, I paid $500 for that car.

...in 1996.

--------------------

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weren't you like 10 yrs old in '96?

Also, my wife remembers you saying you bought your first car at 14.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Old Karmann Ghia is shaping up... all four cylinders are firing now, the suspension now moves in a smooth motion instead of one clunky position to another and we found a steering box in a cow pasture that isn't missing teeth. Before, the first 90 degrees of steering input was zippo, then you'd feel it catch (and bind), then it would make a 'sprrroing' sound and turn the car. Turn 2 to 1 required a great deal of gonadal fortitude because you had to go from hard left to hard right and hope all the gears in the steering box made contact before you hit the wall.

Oh...and we found the fuel leak that kept the driver nice and cool (evaporating fuel keeps you cool). There is a fuel vent line on the Karmann Ghia that terminates right behind the glove box... we will be relocating that!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry we couldn't chat longer, Mr. Ross! Hope you had fun at the autocross!

--------------------

MPR22

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Sorry we couldn't chat longer, Mr. Ross! Hope you had fun at the autocross!

Had a good time. My 16 year old Trevor was excited about his first solo. He was in the red 92 behind me.

Love your ride, my fellow workers and I were impressed with your car control through the slalom, we kept thinking you were going to loose the rear by the last cone but you got it to settle down everytime.

--------------------
Michael Ross

MPR22

quote:
The Old Karmann Ghia is shaping up... all four cylinders are firing now, the suspension now moves in a smooth motion instead of one clunky position to another and we found a steering box in a cow pasture that isn't missing teeth. Before, the first 90 degrees of steering input was zippo, then you'd feel it catch (and bind), then it would make a 'sprrroing' sound and turn the car. Turn 2 to 1 required a great deal of gonadal fortitude because you had to go from hard left to hard right and hope all the gears in the steering box made contact before you hit the wall.

Oh...and we found the fuel leak that kept the driver nice and cool (evaporating fuel keeps you cool). There is a fuel vent line on the Karmann Ghia that terminates right behind the glove box... we will be relocating that!

I really like your choice of cars but as you point out spare parts are sparse. At least you won't be the first car everyone wants to crush, or will you? They may just be picking on the drivers not the car.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will not be in the lemons race [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We'll be returning in the 1985 Moostang we ran last October.

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
quote:

I really like your choice of cars but as you point out spare parts are sparse. At least you won't be the first car everyone wants to crush, or will you? They may just be picking on the drivers not the car.
Nah, we made lots of friends at the last event... even won "Organizers' Choice". Everyone loves an old VW it seems.

--------------------

Chris Taylor

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Holloway:
Weren't you like 10 yrs old in '96?

Also, my wife remembers you saying you bought your first car at 14.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!

OK so my old man bought the car for $500 in 1996.

My first street car (currently being "restored" since I've only got one Miata left and hopefully it'll be gone Saturday) cost me $200 and is too nice to turn into a LeMon. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Taylor:
I've only got one Miata left and hopefully it'll be gone Saturday

they crush Miatas on Sunday

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

dlee1967

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dlee1967     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hola, My crew will be back with the TiredBird Racing 1/2 Firebird 1/2 Camaro. We are the guys with the Lucha Libre masks.

If we pass you we play the la cucaracha air horns (they face backwards). If you pass us, we still play the horns. Hopefully our improved cooling system will allow more than 20 laps at a time without hitting 260 degrees water temp.

We are testing this Saturday at Grand Sport Speedway. This may actually allow us some time to fix something if it breaks. We have a whole roll of bailing wire and at least half a roll of duct tape.

David Lee

Chris Taylor

No popsicle sticks? You guys are screwed...

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: