Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Rocky Mountain » Any Scheduled Races at Miller Motorsports Park?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Any Scheduled Races at Miller Motorsports Park?
yabanja

Region: RM Division
Car #: 91
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for yabanja   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello All!

I live in Salt Lake, and have just purchased a 99 miata which has been a Showroom Stock B car for it's entire existence. I am going to spend the winter converting it to SM trim. I will be looking to enter several races in the upcoming season, and was wondering if there will be any dates at our new local track! Also, I am wondering if we will be sticking with hankook or switching to Toyo for the upcoming season.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Allan

don wiseman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: Rocky Mountain
Car #: 81
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for don wiseman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Toyo is the tire for 06. The schedule will be out before too long. Since we've lost Second Creek and PPIR, it's hard to imagine not having severl events there.

dplore Verified Driver

Region: Colorado
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dplore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Given the pro level of racing I have heard they are going for, SCCA may not have too many club events there. That track may be very expensive to rent and will need a lot of drivers to make it a break-even event.

But surely there will be at least one SCCA club race there in 2006. It should be a very fun track! It will be the best facility in Rocky Mountain Division

-Darren

dplore Verified Driver

Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dplore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Found this thread on their local message board regarding club racing events at MMP.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/forum/detail.cfm?threadparentid=28&boardid=1

don wiseman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: Rocky Mountain
Car #: 81
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for don wiseman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

with the loss of scr and ppir and miller being in the division, you can bet everyone looking for any points will be there; as well as going to topeka twice. bigger question is the impact sm going national will have on the rmdiv regional program, which was heavily populated with sm.

bpanther Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA - Rocky Mountain
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpanther   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As Darren mentioned, MMSP isn't going to be cheap but I think it will be well worth the trip. Folks here that have only raced on the small tracks will be beyond giddy when faced with 4.5 miles of fresh pavement.

NASA is putting one event on our preliminary calander, I hope SCCA is planning at least one as well.

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpanther   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by don wiseman:
Toyo is the tire for 06. The schedule will be out before too long. Since we've lost Second Creek and PPIR, it's hard to imagine not having severl events there.

Don,

Do you know if the region will allow non Toyos for the regional races?

Not that it matters since we've only run Toyos on our car since the beginning....

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

digdug Verified Driver

Car #: 71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for digdug   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone know how long before we have a new track in the Denver area? I'm just getting started and I made it to one of the last free days at SCR. It was so sad to get my first times on a track that was closing for good a few days later.

--------------------
RiffWorks - Fun Recording Software Designed for Guitar Players
http://www.sonomawireworks.com

Byron Smith Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah/SFR
Car #: # 52 Red/Black
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Byron Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From what I hear, the going rental at Miller in Utah is 5K for either of the subtracks (2.2 miles) or 10K for the full track (4.5 miles). I'm not sure if that is weekday or weekend pricing.

I do know that the local SCCA road racing director is trying to get 3 regionals scheduled there, however they will be in conjunction with the local track sanction/racing club. MMP is putting together their own racing club/sanction group and will be running monthly weekend races.

I got on the track a few weeks ago for a driving instructor training program...we were only able to drive at 5/10's, but still, the track looks to be first class. The facilities will definitely be top notch. No porta potties.

johnnyonthegas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for johnnyonthegas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by don wiseman:

[Eek!] whoa!! what happened to Second Creek?!?

that was a pretty fun track, as I remember it....

asennafan

Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for asennafan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It has been closed down. They are building too many houses around the track and the people that own the track will not extend our lease because they want to sell the land to developers. Sucks, cause with the loss of PPIR we only have two tracks now.

--------------------
Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

Mead (CDR) just bit the big one this past week as well. Three tracks gone in 1 month [Frown]

We're going to have to tow a bit further to race.

Right now we've got May 19-21 at the new Miller track and we're shooting for a date in Sep/Oct for the new track in Hastings which is only 6 hours away.

[ 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: bpanther ]

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

Utah/CO SCCA are supossed to be running at Miller at the end of May (the weekend after NASA).

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

Byron Smith Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah/SFR
Car #: # 52 Red/Black
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Byron Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's the rumour going around Salt Lake....I hear a double nat or a regional/nat is a possibility. Not sure which yet.

Time to get the national license.

asennafan

Icon 6 posted  Profile for asennafan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

According to the Colorado Region website, there is a double National tentively scheduled for May 27th and 28th. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

The 27/28 double national is confirmed!

I've been asked by some SM drivers (along with other IT / Spec7) who only have a regional license if they can come and run with NASA on the prior weekend (20/21). Yes!

And yes, if you plan to run the dbl National, this is a great opportunity to get some race time on the new facility. According to SCCA there will be no test day before the 27th/28th weekend and they are suggesting that you try to get track time via "another group".

For the May 20-21 weekend, entry is $299 for 2 days of racing and we will have an open test day on Friday if you don't feel like doing the whole weekend. As a bonue, NASA will be using the ENTIRE 4.5 mile pro course, not the 2.2 mile club track.

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

Here is some video we took of the track.

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/mmp-nasa.wmv

If you're having trouble playing it, just right click and 'Save Target As' to your computer.

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

asennafan

Icon 1 posted  Profile for asennafan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the video bpanther. By the way, anyone wishing to register for the double national race there can do so @ http://www.coloradoscca.org

-Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

--------------------
Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

asennafan

Hey Dave, I have watched your video of Miller Motorsports Park and was just wondering where start/finish line is. Thanks.

--------------------
Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

S/F ? It's on the front straight!!! [thumbsup]

Serious answer - If you go to 3:07 in the video, you'll see the S/F tower for the east/full course.

At 0:07 into the video, you can see the west side S/F and control tower.

--------------------
Dave Balingit
Elizabeth, Co

asennafan

Thanks Dave.

--------------------
Shannon J. Sweeney
#0 SM RMDIV

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: