Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Rocky Mountain » Miller Miata race

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Miller Miata race
Jonlee

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonlee     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For those of you that are wondering what is going on with the Spec Miata Race in September here's the skinny:

We have the time on the schedule set for a Thursday afternoon Sept. 13th 30 minute Practice session, Friday Sept. 14th Morning 20 minute Qualifying, and a Friday afternoon race 30 minutes. The race will follow the Koni-Challenge race.

There will be guaranteed prize money to the top 3 of the field as well as for a few positions back depending on the number of entries received. I.E. for every 5 entries over 25 we will add on payout possition so for 30 the top 4, for 35 the top 5, for 40 the top 6 etc... we will also hold a drawing based on fininshing position for more cash prizes as well as some of the sponsored prizes, so even if you didn't finish in the top of the field or as a hard charger you still have a chance to go home with some booty! Mazda Motorsports has also agreed to donate some prizes to the event as well. We'd like to host a good party Friday after the race so that everyone can unwind and we will present prizes there

The one problem we have is that since the event is a Thursday, Friday we can't get the required number of Stewards for a Club racing sanction. However we are pursuing a slightly more expensive Pro Racing Sanction but it will allow us to host this race. It should be well attended and I know that there are quite a few people planning on coming from out of region to race with us!

Hopefully we wiil know more early next week and will be able to get registration open A.S.A.P. Everyone cross your fingers!

-Jon

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.
Drinking team with a Racing problem

Jonlee

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonlee     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a little more info:
We have been able to line up some stewards from out of division that are willing to come out and give us a hand
So by next week we should have our sanction number in hand and registration open though DLBracing.com

This will be sanctioned through Club Racing as a Restricted Regional meaning it is restricted to Spec Miatas. SCCA Regional Competition licenses will be accepted. If you do not have one yet you still have some time to arrange for one.
Entry fee will be $375 with ALL of your entry fee going back into the event. We are not trying to profit from this event and entry fees will cover insurance, sanction fees, basic race fees, race supplies, food for a party Friday night, and the remaining will go back to the racers as prize money.
Based on a 25 car field here is the prize breakdown:
1st $1,200 with a trophy from RPmotorsports
2nd $700
3rd $500
And if we see 30 cars all the above numbers go up and there will be prize money for 4th and at 35 cars prize money at 5th etc...

Mazda will be kicking in some prizes as well and I need to ask around for a few more prizes. So if you have something you'd like to kick in please get in touch with me!

RPmotorsports will be providing event T-shirts for all the racers and after speaking with Ed and Carolyn (local photographers) last night they'd be willing to take photos throughout the weekend and then send them to you on a CD after the event in order to remember this race!

If you might want to run this race but need a car please post a note or get in touch with me and we might be able to arrange for a rental outfit to bring some cars, most of them will want at least 3 rentals lined up in order to make the drive worthwhile.

Thanks all and I hope you can make it!
-Jon Lee

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 98
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All information can be found here http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000364;p=0

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Brad Verified Driver Series Champ
2007 SCCA Champion

Region: SFR
Car #: 14
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brad     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave,

Just to clarify. There's no test day and (1) 30 minute practice, (1) 20 minute qual. and (1) 30 minute race? On track only Thursday and Friday. Not trying to make it sound bad, just want to figure out how much track time is available and when to make my flight resv. :-)

Do you have any in-car videos of the track? SM would be good. Post in this thread would be sweet.

--------------------
http://www.hooverspeed.net

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a test day available on wednesday sponsored by Miller Motorsports Park and there is no SCCA sanction during these hours. MMP may be contacted directly at 435-277-8000 to arrange a spot for testing.

And yes to the schedule.
1 30 minute practice Thursday afternoon
1 20 minute qualifying Friday Morning
1 30 minute race Friday evening after the Koni challenge race.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tag/movies/MMP_SCCA_PDX_DATA_20060909.wmv - E36 M3

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2978517914668283813 - Spec Miata National from Great Salt Race 2007 (Coming back 2008 Memorial day Weekend!)

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Jonlee

Sorry forgot to list it but there is a promoters test day scheduled for Wednesday the 12th. It is sponsored by MMP at a cost of $375. You get 2, 50 minute sessions and arrangements can be made by calling Jill Giles at 435-277-8000

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.

Neil Made Donation to Website
Ugly Trailer Racing

Region: NWR
Car #: 54 where are you?
Year : 89 rx7 GTUs
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

THIS is cool now even more reason to come out and stupidvise! Guess I better get the tires on the RV replaced.. Hope to see ya'll there. [fight]

--------------------
"I am master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unsaid." Abe Lincoln

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is a good video, I think the driver of that white 96 was the best until he went spinning of in turn 4 oh yeah that was me, and this will be a fun race lets get 50 cars out here.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do the SM's run with the MX-5 Cup cars on the test day? If so, that sucks as I plan to run both cars....

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Jonlee

Wednesday test day they have grouped the two classes together.

Thursday afternoons session is seperate.

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto Kim!

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Jonlee

Thanks to those of you that have already registered, but I know many names that are planning on coming that I don't see on the list yet! I really want to get you on the weekends program along with all the other Pro drivers so please get your entry in soon as there is a deadline that we have in order to get you in the program.

Thanks,
-Jon

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.

Retired Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can run with the open wheelers....I did that when I blew the checkered on one session the last time I was there... [Wink]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Retired Racer

Looking for recommendations for good eats in SLC (I know enough NOT to ask about Tooele...). Recommendations?

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

quote:
Originally posted by Kim Ouye:
Looking for recommendations for good eats in SLC (I know enough NOT to ask about Tooele...). Recommendations?

Squatters in downtown is a great brewpub, and one of our sponsors!! Jon Lee and his wife also both work for them...

I don't make it downtown that way, so any other recomendations I'd give would be another 45-60 minutes from the track than just going downtown.

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Retired Racer

Thanks Dave. I'll take recommendations for anywhere as long as we find good eats... [Smile]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kim, I'll ask my friend Randy(Peterson Motorsports) He grew up I SLC and has a place there. We'll find some good chow.. D

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Neil Made Donation to Website
Ugly Trailer Racing

Region: NWR
Car #: 54 where are you?
Year : 89 rx7 GTUs
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SO what's the haps in the miata meltdown?
Anyone have info yet? [Confused]

--------------------
"I am master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unsaid." Abe Lincoln

Results can be found here http://www.scca-cdr.org/Race/2007/r20070914_1.htm

Thank You to everyone that came out!!! We're shooting to do it again next year, but with more cars!

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Mr ED

Region: lonestar
Car #: 11
Year : 90
Icon 7 posted  Profile for Mr ED     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Sammy, way to go! [Smile]
Good showing for Tony, and Hugh for fast lap. [thumbsup] Must have been a good race.

Mr Ed
Applied Racing Technology

--------------------
Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care!
ww.gilfusracing.com

Retired Racer

I had a great time batting with Shannon McMasters and Tracy Evans throughout the race...hard racing and very clean.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

quote:
Originally posted by Kim Ouye:
hard racing and very clean.

From the people I talked to after the race, this pretty much sums up the racing through the field!!

I had the most fun I've had yet in my car, and can't wait till next time!

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

l. aiken

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 11
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l. aiken     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Utah for hosting a great time at a really fun track. Thanks to Sammy for loaning the part to make my car run and to the entire Hooverspeed group. See you guys next year.

lee

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a fun time for sure, so whos coming next year?

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Jonlee

THe Qualifying and Race data are now up on mylaps if any of you are interested in seeing more detailed time data.

-Jon

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.

Bob Butler Verified Driver

Region: Colorado
Car #: #28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry, pleasse ignore.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: