Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South Pacific » Buttonwillow test weekend 1/12-1/13

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Buttonwillow test weekend 1/12-1/13
ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 10 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey there, so there is a test weekend at Buttonwillow this weekend. Was wondering if anyone here is going?

It will be my first time at the track. Any tips for a newbie to Buttonwillow (other than the obvious hold my line to let everyone else by)?

Looks like it is 25A CCW on Saturday and 25A CW on Sunday.

--------------------
ethan

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

take it slow at first and just get used to the car. If you want pointers and advice louis will be there from rush motorsport so i would go ask him.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The guys over at "7's Only" are really helpful too.

Make sure you hit the apex going over "Magic Mountain" or you will go off. If you do go off don't try to correct it unless you really want to end up being upsidedown. [yep] I've seen it happen.

J

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definitely take it slow at first and try to keep it on the pavement. I'm sure with all the recent rains the "Buttonwillow Mudd" will be out in force. Have fun.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

ethan666
noob

Icon 14 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info. I have read about Magic Mountain... everyone seems to say about that corner, if you miss the apex, just go straight off, don't correct! Or else you may end shiny side down.

I just chatted with Louis from Rush and he's going to help me install a passenger seat so I can get some in-car coaching on Sunday. I've asked Clement (the super nice guy I bought the car from) to do some coaching with me-- should be fun!

Also found this thread helpful:
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/13/66.html

And this instructional video was also very helpful for the Clockwise direction:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AejHQ6iV-F8

--------------------
ethan

ethan666
noob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had a fun weekend at Buttonwillow... Clement is a great coach, I would recommend. And Louis was very helpful in letting me borrow and helping me install a passenger seat and belts.

Got to drive my Miata for the first time (actually first time ever in a Miata)... it is an amazing car, and glad I got one that was set up so well.

Was only my 4th or 5th day on a race track, so I knew my lack of experience would mean that it would take a while to get the line right, but it was a blast. I really like Magic Mountain, that's a really fun turn. Had a serious brain fart on Buttonhook for most of the weekend, but the last run on Sunday I think I got it right once or twice.

Hope to get more test day seat time so hopefully I'll see some of you guys soon!

--------------------
ethan

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad to hear it went well.

IMHO Going CCW don't worry about the Buttonhook (it is a compromise corner). Take it slow'ish to set yourself up for T1 (the last turn) before the straight.

Come out and join us SoCal NASA SM'ers or run the HPDE's sometime in 2008: http://socal.drivenasa.com

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: