Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South Pacific » What was the DQ for at Cal Speedway?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What was the DQ for at Cal Speedway?
POWERSS Verified Driver

Region: SOPAC
Car #: 81
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for POWERSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What did Hoover get DQ for last weekend?

--------------------
2009 SOPAC Division Champion

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From mylaps
09:59 #98 DQ'D for failing Compression

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does the DQ only effect that race or is there a 6 month penalty that follows?

Jonathan,
Nice run in the regional!!!!

Grant also! masterful driving through traffic to get to the front pack.

Couldn't stick around to walk through paddock. A 2 year olds attention span is only 5 minutes less than his fathers.

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Sean. starting DFL in the regional race was fun.

Regarding the National race a huge congratulations to Jonathan for the well deserved win after Hoover's DQ. He drove a great race. Egg on my face for running behind Jonathan and running out of fuel with 2 laps to go. I never was good at math or comprehending that it is a 40 min race, not 30 min.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice run guys... Sean sent me a txt said it was a hoot to watch.

MY LAPS RESULTS:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1037655

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Region: SFR
Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1) was there consequences beyond the DQ?
2) was the engine (or part) confiscated?

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1) were not sure to be honest, i believe in the gcr it states that a probation period is given to a driver if they are found to be cheating. Whether or not that happened in this case we dont know. Hoover left the pits and the chief Stewart was walking around with paperwork looking for him.

2) No, the car was whistled and found illegal, hoover accepted a dq and drove away.

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We only run NASA, but I wondered how the SCCA handles this type of thing. Does this get reported out in the fast track release? How does anyone know (beyond the DQ at the track) what the consequences were and if the same consequences will apply moving forward?

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would assume that it is a SCCA probation. Will that follow him to San Fran Region? Or can you serve probation in one region and yet be clear in another?

Wasn't drennan also DQed in the runoffs? If so, How could he run this past weekend if he was DQed at runoffs?

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rules Explanation.

It depends how you were found "non-compliant".

Typically the Tech Chief submits a list to the Chief Steward of what they would like to tech. If the Chief approves the list, tech goes about checking items. If tech finds something "non-compliant" (even being under weight) the CS accesses a penalty. Typically the penalty is one lap or DQ, sometimes more.

The whistler is not the absolute measure of CR. That can only be determined by CC'ing the engine. The CS can DQ you for failing the whistler but you can appeal and have the engine CC'd. Sometimes you don't even have to appeal, sometimes the CS may let you (at your own expense) remove your head to be CC'd if you were over but are confident it is legal.

I was not there and do not know the details, but if the involved party was allowed to leave tech it was over. There does not have to be a probation or suspension.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

My apologies to Mark Drennan. I have confused Mark Drennan with Marc Hoover. Getting the last name correct is really important, so again I want to apologise to Drennan for my error.

The way I 'm going i'll never be chief steward. (not to meantion that I don't know a thing about the cars, or rules or people's names)

Oh well, back to being a funeral director where they don't listen to me anyways.

--------------------

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the explanation Mike.
Interesting...if this happened to me and I was confident I was legal I would do whatever it took to get the engine CC'd rather than go through the shame of the forums and loss of respect from my fellow racers. (wither I had a 10 hr tow or not) After all that is why we race, for the respect. It always puzzles me how someone gets personal satisfaction from finishing well but knowing they did it by cheating. And is most cases most of their fellow racers know it too.

MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
Rules Explanation.

It depends how you were found "non-compliant".

Typically the Tech Chief submits a list to the Chief Steward of what they would like to tech. If the Chief approves the list, tech goes about checking items. If tech finds something "non-compliant" (even being under weight) the CS accesses a penalty. Typically the penalty is one lap or DQ, sometimes more.

The whistler is not the absolute measure of CR. That can only be determined by CC'ing the engine. The CS can DQ you for failing the whistler but you can appeal and have the engine CC'd. Sometimes you don't even have to appeal, sometimes the CS may let you (at your own expense) remove your head to be CC'd if you were over but are confident it is legal.

I was not there and do not know the details, but if the involved party was allowed to leave tech it was over. There does not have to be a probation or suspension.

Seriously? You get to keep the offending parts? Makes no sense...

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's illegal in SM is legal in some other class.

I'm glad they don't confiscate. I don't want to replace my depowered steering rack in ITA if I ever get a weenie protest. [Smile]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Edit: accidental duplicate post.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
What's illegal in SM is legal in some other class.

I'm glad they don't confiscate. I don't want to replace my depowered steering rack in ITA if I ever get a weenie protest. [Smile]

That makes no sense at all. You could have a cheater computer, cams, shocks, subframes, ported heads, etc etc and say they are your EP parts and get a pass???

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Eau Rouge

Region: sfr
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eau Rouge     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No you still get dq'd. It is possible to make a non-compliant part compliant.

Morris Hamm Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Year : 2006
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Morris Hamm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If non-compliant parts are found, they are not to be returned to the competitor. Even compliant parts are not supposed to be returned until after the time to appeal has passed. Not sure why Mark left with the motor except that not all of the motor was non-compliant and identifying the compliant parts would have meant a tear down.

--------------------
Morris Hamm

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hi Morris,i was with Mark, racing there ,and everyone ,including Mark was told we all could leave,from the inpound.

--------------------
kim willcox

WChristian 2

Region: So Pac
Car #: 10
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WChristian 2     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually, the rest of the top cars stayed long after the rest of the field was cleared from tech. Mark was DQ'd, talked to Barb Knox I believe for a few minutes and then simply drove off. Dunno if he was cleared or not, but certainly no one from tech seemed to care.

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where is the policy of non-compliant parts not to be returned to the competitor? SCCA? NASA?

This is not a good policy.

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
Where is the policy of non-compliant parts not to be returned to the competitor? SCCA? NASA?

This is not a good policy.

John

I believe it's written in the GCR under protest section somewhere for the SCCA. If you show up with a cheater part, get protested for that part and it's discovered out of compliance, it is supposed to be confiscated and sent to Topeka. (or should be)

Note; it has to be a part not something like "engine" or "car".

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA