Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South Pacific » May 16th-17th Double Regional at BW #1A CCW

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: May 16th-17th Double Regional at BW #1A CCW
Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know Eric is coming, anyone else fired up about this one?

Come join us and experience the exciting rarely used "A" corner!

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Really bummed I can't make this one... have fun! Next race for me is probably Cal Speedway...

--------------------
ethan

AllardK3 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: Az
Car #: 13
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for AllardK3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob,

Two of us from Arizona are towing out for this weekend's race. I am really looking forward to it. Neither of us have been to Buttonwillow before. Do you have any advice for driving the track, or where to Paddock, etc.... Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

--------------------
Mike Donick

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome to the party Mike!

I would drive the test day on friday if at all possible to get the hang of the track. The track is pretty straightforward and forgiving. Offs are pretty safe as long as you keep the car going straight. The dirt out there is a very fine deep powdery "cakemix" that will roll you if you let it.

Read this. Not quite our config, but it should really help.

http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/pdf/bw-counterclockwise.pdf

The place where you will wreck your car is the turn called "sunrise". If you go two off in the dirt, KEEP THEM THERE. The tire wall on the right side is known as the "wall of champions".

The drive into "star mazda" will take some trailbraking skill.

Some curbs are good, some curbs are bad.

That should get you started. Look for the purple "91" if you have questions at the track on the weekend.

Sign up for "ITA" also if you haven't. You can do an extra class at a big discount.

--------------------

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome Mike,

I'll be there all day Fri,Sat,Sun not sure where I'm pitting, but look for a white Miata with blue stripes #29. I'll help you out with the line and tell you most of what I know [Wink] Buttonwillow is a great track, you'll have lots of fun. Bring shade, not a lot of big trees there, temps to be in the mid 90's. This weekend should be a true test for the R888's
Eric

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for AllardK3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob and Eric,
Thanks for the info!
I am planning on running the half day test day on Friday afternoon. Any idea how many sessions you can get in during the half day?
I will be driving the dark blue and orange #13 car. (#113 this weekend :-( )
I am really looking forward to driving on a dedicated road course again instead of the rovals and drag strip courses of AZ.

--------------------
Mike Donick

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They usually rotate every 1/2 hour between open wheel and closed wheel cars.

--------------------

Thanks Eric,
Any idea what a good laptime on that config of the track is?
Mike

--------------------
Mike Donick

No idea whatsoever. The "A" part of 1A is rarely run.

--------------------

Mike, here is a video of a race that I did 2 years ago on the same config that we will be running. http://www.specmiatavideos.com/
My best time was a 2:21 Hopefully I can improve on that since it has been 2 years and I have a different motor, but that should put you pretty close. Pretty good race between the red miata, myself and the Datsun.

Eric

--------------------

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, how did the race weekend go?

--------------------
ethan

Pretty well for me. My first SM win, 3 2nd places, and an ITA pole.

Fast time for me was a 2:17.95 on RA-1.

Eric and one of the AZ guys weren't so lucky. Dead diff and a dead engine respectively.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: