Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Rose Cup Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Rose Cup Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com
Todd Butler

Region: Oregon
Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean Hedrick, MiataCage.Com is sponsoring the Miata races at Rose Cup.
MiataCage is providing a $1000 total purse for the races. We have yet to decide how we'll award the $$$, maybe all to hardest luck case of the weekend, maybe to aggregate points, don't know how far down it will pay yet either, but the point is....it's a MONEY race, and Sean is definitely owed a vote of thanks.

And you can thank him and your region by coming out and racing with us [yep]

Todd
RRD

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PS: RC Schedule is up on oregonscca.com and it's up for registration at oregonscca.motorsportreg.com
Todd

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

thanks sean. Il be out barring any major obstacles between now and then

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It doesn't hurt to buy stuff from him too! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My car's in the paint shop, with new fenders and a new right front brake line.

I'm signed up for both SM and ITA.

Rather shocked at the registration fees this year....

Todd, can I get the required SCCA stickers at tech at the track?

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We'll be there for sure, barring disaster this weekend. [yep] [Eek!]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
My car's in the paint shop, with new fenders and a new right front brake line.

I'm signed up for both SM and ITA.

Rather shocked at the registration fees this year....

I have never done a Rose Cup but when I saw the event fees I was definitely shocked. I gotta be honest and say that I am actually on the fence with this one. I know that it should be a blast and everything but $1000 race weekend BEFORE you start paying for car stuff is really expensive.

Kyle

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark,

It's ususally difficult to explain the Rose Cup races to folks especially to SM drivers from out of town.

Rose Cup is a very big 50 year tradition in Oregon region and it has been a very big race in years past. And because of that, it is more expensive than other races as it is coordinated with the Rose Festival Association. I would guess the cost to put on the race has far outweighed revenue in the past decade or two since Champ car dominated the Rose Festival racing schedule and substantially reduced attendance.

Trans Am being on the schedule this year, could be a big deal, as it could potentially change the revenue model, but sadly I fear the economy and lack of strong local sponsorship and advertising might kill attendance. My hope is that Rose Cup somehow return to the glory days of my childhood.

All that said, I always love to race with people in the grandstands and announcers in the booth. I hope everyone makes it a goal to come race and have fun in June. We'll try our hardest to make it worth every penny.

-bw
P.S. the difference in price between the double/double this weekend at PR and a double/double at the Rose Cups is only about $45.

P.P.S, Pat is racing again!!!

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle, you normally run two groups, so why not just run the double regional SM. That's about $5 difference than what you normally do. And you really need to make sure your car, body, and mind can make it through a double/double. I know you're young [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kyle Freiheit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey!

I am not that young(sort of)! I guess I agree with you then, both of these weekends are overpriced. That being said, I feel this is a sign of the times, its not going to get cheaper and I do not mind helping out our clubs. In each case we are paying for unique weekends.... one is prestigious race.... the other thinks its a prestigious venue.

Kyle

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Suck it up and come racing son. It's gonna be way cooler than the typical regional. [Big Grin]

(I am running the Rose Cup double regional in two classes, not bothering with National. That saves some $$$.)

P.S. Pat is racing again!!!

--------------------

misterwaterfallin

Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

it is expensive, but im gonna run ita and sm to maximize my time down there. I figure between gas to haul down there, motels, and food that figures at least 1/3 of my costs for the weekend. So I average them down by diving more.
It worked out in my head anyway.

Maybe its a good thing I wasnt an accounting major

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yee hah! I finally get to win something. They don't call me Tough Luck Terrell for nothing. Maybe I can get back some of that money I'm spending with Sean.

Seriously, it's pretty cool that he is doing that even though I won't get any of the pie. What I will get is a great weekend which is enough for me. Also, I get a shot at lamely attempting to beat Keith on a legitimate basis (his off-track earlier this season didn't give me a true win although until I beat him legitimately I'll take it). Randy and I have a secret drafting technique that we believe will take care of Keith.

Slow is fun but getting faster is a lot more fun.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Game on Terrell! I'm not taking prisoners. Maybe you shouldn't have pointed out how far off the curbing I was. [Wink] I listened and it helped. [yep]

I'm crossing my fingers that I don't earn the name Calamity Keith again that weekend. I've found I prefer my burgers with mayo and ketchup...hold the 30wt!

I'm planning on double dipping in ITA too. I think I'm slowly buying up the regions leftover stock of used RA-1s so I either need to burn some up or build another shed.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
Randy and I have a secret drafting technique that we believe will take care of Keith.

Drafting technique? With my sorry engine the only drafting I'll be doing is with a tow rope. But do not let me get too close in #6 or I'll be ahead of you coming out of #7. ;) Anyways, I've temporarily run out of funds so I have to skip Rose Cup. But I hope to be back for July or August at the latest.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear that. It really is a bummer about the real world, the economy, and what it is doing to our lives.

The secret drafting technique was that late at night we were going to swap your tired engine for Keith's race engine and you were going to tow me around the track. I guess it will have to wait until fall.

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Since I'm giving away all of my super secrets, the other sure fire drafting technique is to put your transponder under Keith's front bumper. You are guaranteed to beat him by .005 second.

Seriously, if you can't race, come on out and I'll buy you lunch.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

If that's the way you're going to play I may have to pull my James Bond smoke screen act again. This time right before T10. [Eek!] [yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The secret drafting technique was that late at night we were going to swap your tired engine for Keith's race engine...

I was about to respond with "why didn't you say so" but then Keith's is a 1.8 so that won't work. Besides, Ms. Moneypenny said 'Q' will only allow one car to have a smoke generator. (sorry Keith, couldn't resist.)

Seriously, I'm going to try and get signed up as a volunteer so I'll be at the race track one way or another. We'll meet you guys for lunch.

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI, I'm pretty sure the July weekend is National races only for SM. No regional. If you want to run an SM Regional anytime in the next few months at PIR then Rose Cup is it.

By the way. Last year was the first year I missed RC weekend since starting racing 7 years back. It is always the most fun and I really regretted not being there. The more cars we have show the more interest there will be from the public for more future SM racers. Lets get a good turn out and put on a good show!

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in for the event if I can find someone who needs transport/support from Seattle for the weekend.

Anyone need a ride?

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Team Cochran:
FYI, I'm pretty sure the July weekend is National races only for SM. No regional...

Geoff, July is listed as a National/Restricted Regional (Groups H & V)? Does that mean only Groups H and V are regional?

misterwaterfallin

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
quote:
Originally posted by Team Cochran:
FYI, I'm pretty sure the July weekend is National races only for SM. No regional...

Geoff, July is listed as a National/Restricted Regional (Groups H & V)? Does that mean only Groups H and V are regional?
yes. only groups which do not have national classes

I think il be down that weekend running ITA, so I dont have to sit out a month. hope some other smers run ita so im not alone

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Kyle Freiheit

Just signed up for SM and ITA for the Rose Cup.

Kyle

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

BTW, its R888 after July 1st, so this is you last chance to burn up those RA1s in SM Regional racing!

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

David de Regt Verified Driver

Car #: 47/479
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I signed up earlier today as well. Money's overrated.

--------------------
My Spec Miata Build Sheet - Hope people find it useful
 -

Pack Fodder

I'll be there for sure. After all, I have to give Ken his shock back. [Smile]

I heard Bruce is trying to secure a good spot for a Miata corral so we may not even be trapped in the infield all day and have us a bit of shade.

I think Frank said he was going too so between him, myself, Terrell, and Matt I'm looking forward to some close racing out there!

[thumbsup]

(Be forewarned though...if I keep shaving off 2 seconds a weekend I'm 3 weekends away from the 1:20's [Eek!] [rolling on floor laughin] )

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Keith, I'll be there with my custom James Bond telescoping transponder and I'll have extra sunflower seeds for my five year old squirrels so I can beat your fancy new race motor.

Seriously, looking forward to it but sorry that Randy won't be driving. I personally think he should blow off the go-carts at Pat's Acres, rob a bank and play.

Watch out for Mister Waterfallin as rumour has it he is getting a super setup tonight. Or maybe just a bunch of parts on the floor which is what I saw earlier. Hope they know how to put it back together?

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

You guys are making me feel guilty. I already told Flagging and Communications I would volunteer as a corner worker for Sat & Sun during RC. I don't want to go back on that now. Maybe I'll do ITA in July. This stinks because the September Grass Valley event probably won't happen, which means there are only two regional SM races left after RC. My original plan was to complete school and do 3-4 races this year. Now I want to do all the races I can but can't afford to.

Gold Member

Hey all,

In addition to the prize purse provided by miatacage.com, Bridgeport has offerred to provide Brewpub gift certificates to 5 lucky racers. We will announce the winners at the BBQ.

Many thanks to our good friend and fellow racer, Jim Weidenbaum.

Keep Portland Beered!

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Enduro addict

quote:
Now I want to do all the races I can but can't afford to.

Uh, yeah. That won't change. [Wink]

Good news on the beer, Bruce. I'll try to bring down the bitchin' heavy Bridgeport bottle opener that followed me home from the winter BBQ. It'll go to the winner of Sunday's race for safekeeping... assuming the winner (or his wife!) drinks beer of course. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gold Member

The Rose Cup Spec Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com purse pay out has been established and we think you're all going to love it. Here's the plan...

The money race is Sunday because it's Sunday and most spectators who see our extravagant podium ceremony might want to stay for the Trans Am Race anyway [Big Grin]

1st - $300.00
2nd - $200.00
3rd - $100.00

2 drivers - random Draw @ $100.00 each. Randomly drawn by my lovely assistant [Smile]

2 drivers - corner worker picks of "best race within the race" @ $100.00 each -- Just don't make it look staged, yo?

Looking forward to the fun. If I start looking too serious during the weekend, please place your foot firmly against my posterior.

That is all.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:

2 drivers - random Draw @ $100.00 each. Randomly drawn by my lovely assistant [Smile]

I thought Ken was your teammate not an assistant.
[duck]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Evidently I've gotten too lax on dress codes. I'll make sure Ken wears his I'm with stupid shirt all weekend [Wink]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

What about the loser award. Since Randy can't make it I'm a shoe-in. Oh yes, he beat me last time also since I didn't finish. Winning by attrition counts!

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

quote:
What about the loser award. Since Randy can't make it I'm a shoe-in. Oh yes, he beat me last time also since I didn't finish. Winning by attrition counts!

That's it Terrell! I'm going to hold my breath and get really, really mad now. [Smile]

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Randy,

I was trying to complement you on beating me last race. You can't win if you can't finish and you finished while I didn't.

I was also laughing at myself and my inept driving style.

I hope you didn't take it wrong.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

quote:
Randy,
...I hope you didn't take it wrong.

Obsolutely not! All in good humor. (Check out the emoticon [Smile] ) By the way - I still don't know what my nickname is yet. Not that I really want to know. Just nothing that rhymes with "Randy," or would be used to describe an inappropriate bodily function. Guys named Bart never have that problem. [Roll Eyes] [laughing]

Jim Graffy Verified Driver

Region: NW / OR
Car #: 01
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Graffy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
The Rose Cup Spec Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com purse pay out has been established and we think you're all going to love it. Here's the plan...

I love it!!! [Big Grin]

Pack Fodder

quote:
quote:
Randy,
...I hope you didn't take it wrong.

Obsolutely not! All in good humor. (Check out the emoticon [Smile] ) By the way - I still don't know what my nickname is yet. Not that I really want to know. Just nothing that rhymes with "Randy," or would be used to describe an inappropriate bodily function. Guys named Bart never have that problem. [Roll Eyes] [laughing]
Well since nearly rolling my car and having to put new front left suspension on as a result, I haven't earned the nickname Calamity Keith in 12 days now! [Smile]

BTW Terrell, since Randy is going to be a corner worker, if I see a black flag at RC I'll know who it's for.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Maybe we need to name Randy as "The Black Flag"? Doesn't work. We need for Randy to make a really stupid mistake as you and I have done before we determine his new name.

You definitely have earned the name. I couldn't tell from the video, but do you need to check to see if the car was twisted? I really don't want to hear the excuse that your car was twisted when you beat me but I have a better lap time with my tired motor. Just kidding on that but seriously, was the collision hard enough that you need to check the car itself?

I'm sitting here debating the Conference race this weekend. I don't have the money but am getting the hard-on. Can't figure out if the big head or the little one will win.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Flags? We don't need no stinkin' flags!

Enduro addict

quote:
I don't have the money but am getting the hard-on. Can't figure out if the big head or the little one will win.

Epic racing quote of the week...

--------------------

Pack Fodder

quote:
You definitely have earned the name. I couldn't tell from the video, but do you need to check to see if the car was twisted? I really don't want to hear the excuse that your car was twisted when you beat me but I have a better lap time with my tired motor. Just kidding on that but seriously, was the collision hard enough that you need to check the car itself?

I'm sitting here debating the Conference race this weekend. I don't have the money but am getting the hard-on. Can't figure out if the big head or the little one will win.

Terrell

The car actually handles better than ever now. I replaced the already bent RHS control arm while I was at it. It's amazing what replacing most of your suspension bits can do plus a quick alignment from Ken to get both wheels pointed in the same direction. [Smile]

I'm stoked to see what it will do at PIR now. I know that track a lot better and it has far less dirt berms to hit. The car actually turns when you use more than the outside 3rd of your tires!

I got lucky. If I had to pick a spot to go off track, it wouldn't be there.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I'm sitting here debating the Conference race this weekend.
Terrell

Dude, you should go. I'll be there and hopefully (barring me screwing up and missing a flag or something like that) I'll get my license upgraded from novice to area road racer and will race with the senior group on Sunday. So, that'll mean that you'll have at least one SM behind you [Big Grin]

The weather should be perfect and there will be some guest/celebrity/semi-famous drivers in the Pro3 group. Should be a good show!

Pack Fodder

Hmmm Randy,

You could probably do worse than MC Randy and the Slow Ride Crew. We got Tough Luck Terrell kickin it on da mic, Calamity Keith spinnin wax, and Mike C runnin security.

And commin at you now with our new hit single that's off the hook y'all...Straigt Outta Conference!

(I like the MC part. It opens the door for corporate sponsership.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Maybe there should be a SpecMiata band. Except I can't sing or play an instrument. (Insert ding on music style you love to hate by saying "That don't matter if it's ______" (rock, punk, rap, C&W, jazz, hip-hop.)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Don't forget about the sponsorship from Eli's Lawn Service.

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

just signed up. when keith gets through robbing the bank and signs up that makes 21. lots of points for the fast guys. lots of people for me to try not to let them lap me. looks like fun. still wish randy could race. he needs a nickname.

--------------------
terrell garrett

misterwaterfallin

quote:
just signed up. when keith gets through robbing the bank and signs up that makes 21. lots of points for the fast guys. lots of people for me to try not to let them lap me. looks like fun. still wish randy could race. he needs a nickname.

theres a couple more to sign up so it should be a good field.

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: