Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Rose Cup Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rose Cup Miata Races Sponsored by MiataCage.Com
JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The best way to improve is to have a ride along with an instructor. A professional school is well worth the expense. There are pros/cons for doing it in your own car.

How many of us dump countless amounts of money into our cars and completely neglect the most important component of all?

If you're unable to do a school, have someone knowledgeable critique your in-car video. Almost anyone in the region would be more than willing to help.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
Does anyone have any video of me? I would like to try and find out why I am so, so slow. It's starting to frustrate me.

Also, I'm organizing an exorcism to rid my car of the last half of the race engine missing demons.

il look through what I have, but I would bet after my horrible starts I have something of you. That being said my battery died half way through the SM race this morning without me realizing it because it turned on before the ITA race. stupid $100 special

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell, when I was "so slow" my first year, it had something to do with the pedals; seems I was using the middle one too much, and the right one too little.

Hope this helps. [Smile]

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark,

I took your advice on lap 2 in turn 1 and I ended up looking the wrong way! Rookie error driving with my mirrors after a pass instead of braking at 350' I started at 250'. Just a slow, smoky spin and yes I remembered two feet down. It cost me the three slots I had gained and I never got them back.

I guess the frustration may be one of relevance. I am at the back of the race but at least I am now in the race itself. Looking at the numbers yesterday I have moved from 9 seconds off the leader in my first race to 5.5 yesterday. The fast lap times for the whole group is tightening. I'm just tired of being at the back. Hopefully by next year I can remedy that issue and move somewhere near the bottom of the middle. It's not an overnight deal for me, I seem to always have to earn everything the hard way.

Ken worked on me earlier and it helped greatly but was cut short by a broken tranny. Gary has offered to also help me and we are trying to schedule it. It's really nice to have these babysitters around that are willing to put up with me. It's also really appreciated that all of you have been and continue to be so helpful. I think if I had chosen another class it would have been a situation of "that's your problem".

This is a pretty amazing group of guys (and women, don't forget Pinky) to be around.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After being reminded to keep my foot in it, especially when it starts sliding, I did noticably better. Unfortunately I think I turned my tires into the consistancy of chewed bubble gum with lots of flat spots before I got that through my think head. By the Sun. ITA race it felt like I was driving down railroad tracks and I was told they made a distinct hellicopter noise from people in the stands. [Frown]

I guess I did get lots of cheers and applause for my 2 spins in T12 though. Spectators look at car racing as a bloodsport. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, maybe we should erase the "Calamity Keith" moniker and change it to "Dirt Road Man"? You seemed to spend a lot of time there last weekend. Just kidding!

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup my car was cornering like it was on ice. Especially using those beat up take-offs. Mostly T6. I spent a lot of time off or fully sideways there. I had a couple beers with some corner workers and they were jokingly calling me the drift king.

My ITA T11-12 madness was me trying to see just how much speed I could hold through there. Apparently not as much as I was attempting. After passing the rabbit and the neon I was in no mans land anyway so what the hell. I might as well use it for practice. It sucks starting in back. I have no clue when the flag drops.

You can't say I wasn't trying to get more speed in the corners. I just wasn't succeeding at it very well. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

genaro cuevas

Region: 27
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for genaro cuevas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

good job everyone this weekend! and thanks for the help like always guys:) and will i am buying a new tire gauge tomorrow so never again will i use yours! but everyone did awesome this weekend some fun racing for sure. changed one thing on the car and now i didnt spin or go off once! love it!

SeanH88

Region: OR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow...... Nice job done by all over the weekend. I saw and heard about a few personal records over the weekend.... If I remember correctly there was something like 12 or so cars all qualified within the same second. That second group of cars is quickly becoming the ones to watch.

I have to say that Saturday's race might have been the best SM race I have ever seen! Ken, Will, Joey, you guys put on a great show. I am constantly amazed at how much/little room you guys give each other and not touch. It easily should have been the featured race instead of the snoozefest that T/A was.

There were so many opportunities to crash cars among you three but you all have incredible spacial awareness and control of your cars and it really is quite amazing to watch.

A few of us have been talking about buying out a complete run group on a TC/Cascade/Alfa/Porsche day to do another SM clinic of sorts to address not only on track things to do, but also the all important what to do once the car comes off track to get it ready to go out again. How to prep the car, how to prep the driver, how to qualify etc.... What do you guys think about another SM Clinic?

Terrell.... You will get there, just keep doing what you are doing and keep working with some of the faster guys and you will get there. It takes some time. Its great having you out there and we dont want you running off and leaving us.

Thanks to all for a great weekend!

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Quitting is for pussies!

The clinic sounds fun but will they let us pass in the corners? A lot of what I need is mileage in heavy traffic with passing allowed. Then I forget about what I'm doing and just drive the car. Also, they tend to get upset at those days if you drive close or go off. Maybe something could be worked with a test and tune day. The rules are much more realistic.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took part in the last clinic (2004?) and it was great.

We hired Pro-Formance and gave them input on what we wanted. We had Pacific Raceways for 2 days during the week.

We had Barry Hartzel as a guest speaker and classroom time in the evenings. BSI even came up from Florida to support the event.

We had 22 or so cars and it was about $1k per person.

Terrell, we had 2 sessions of bump drafting practice, so yes passing was allowed. (Not that we do that now, it was just for fun [Wink] )

Maybe try to talk to Kitch when he gets back from Le Mans?

I doubt you could replicate that clinic in the environs of a test day. We would stop the cars on track at T9 and the instructors would walk down the line and give us feedback without having to get out of the cars, then right back to it. Tons of track time and feedback.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since Sean and MC are Portland based I think they're talking about doing it down there. I think another clinic would be an outstanding idea.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

misterwaterfallin

Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would definitely be game for a SM clinic of sorts. I would put down a deposit today, shoot.
This weekend was super fun, I cant wait for the next one. A 2 second personal best had me what I thought was going to be at the tail of the mid pack, but everyone else dropped time it seems so Im still on the quest to be a mid-packer.

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would love some real instruction; that's a great idea.

Pack Fodder

I'd be in for that. After my stellar performance I was looking at Proformance or the like. Last time I set my personal best by about 2 seconds. This weekend I gave 1.5 back. I think I set myself up for disappointment thinking, "If I can drop another 2 seconds I'll be mid pack!" Apparently it doesn't work that way. [nope]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1

Assuming my work schedule allows, I'd be in for that, too.

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Sean, a great addition to the clinic might be one or two "live data analysis" sessions with Roger Caddell if he's in town.

Depending on timing I'd be glad to help out with the clinic any way I can. I'm not the fastest guy but I'm good at logistics and after nearly 40 race weekends I at least know where/why I'm slow around PIR. [Wink]

--------------------

Thread Killer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Since Sean and MC are Portland based I think they're talking about doing it down there. I think another clinic would be an outstanding idea.

I kinda figured on that [Roll Eyes]

My point was that doing it full on with the whole track was not that much money.

They may not have thought it possible and were not going to try? Maybe get prices from both groups at both facilities?

If your going to do it, do it full-assed, not half [butthead] .

I'd probably send at least one driver....

SeanH88

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love all the added ideas. Here is my 2 cents:

1. I love the idea of having a complete track day to ourselves, but this will be a very difficult task as all the good days are taken for the year and even if we commit early for next year we will still end up with a Monday or Tuesday. We can always try.

2. Expense... With the current state of the economy, I was thinking if we just bought one run group, that allows us to focus on a lot of the off track stuff that I personally think a lot of people need (no offense to anyone) and will probably want. We would be able to do do full de-briefs and prepare for our next session. The only other major benefit to this is that it would be pretty easy to do, especially this year.

4. Track Rental - I am ont sure, but I think I understand that SIR is 10K per day, and PIR is like 8k. Not sure if that includes insurance or not, so we would need to do a little research and see what the entire day would cost us.

5. Skid Car - I think we need to work with ProDrive to rent a skid car and instructor. For those of you who have never spent any time in one, it is one of the single greatest teaching tools ever made. Low speed, big slides, teaches eye, seating and hand placement. Its much easier to learn it at 8 mph in a parking lot than 85+ in turn 10.

6. Agenda - We need to come up with a comprehensice agenda of items that we want to cover for the clinic and can pair it down if we do the single run group vs entire day.

Some of the items I think we need to cover:
1. Data Summary - Roger Cadell
2. Car Prep - Before getting to the track.
3. Car Prep - (At the track) After coming off track.
4. Car Prep - Before my next session.
5. Track Etiquette - Qualifying, Race etc.
6. Off Track Excursion - What to do after an off track incident.
7. On Track Contact - What should be done? How to handle it.
8. Tires - How do they work, swapping, rotating etc, Maybe Garth could help us.
9. Flags and Race Scenarios - How to handle certain situations.
10. On track coaching - Right seat instructors.

There are a bunch of other things we can add to the list and define it according to the type of day we get, this was just a first pass.

Keep the ideas coming.... Sean

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Track Etiquette. really? REALLY? [Big Grin]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by JimEli:
Track Etiquette. really? REALLY? [Big Grin]

Jim, I think that means that you should wipe your hands on your jeans after changing brake pads, before eating. [Smile]

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Qualifying strategy?

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Freiheit:
Qualifying strategy?

We've already got that down. Positions 1-20 line up outside pregrid so we can claim our spots as soon as the previous group leaves. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kyle Freiheit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah. Right now we make a drafting strategy that sounds great and is sure to put us on the pole... [Smile] but then we leave grid and throw all of that out the window. We end up just puting our foot to the floor and steering for 20 mins.

Kyle

Thread Killer

Talk to ProDrive and ProFormance (Happy now Pat?). They get a break on track rental when they are running the event.

We literally got Kitch and Co and the track (during the week) for what the track alone would have cost on the weekend.

We did address off track stuff but we did it on the evening before, during lunch, and at dinner.

I'm not saying the only way to do it is the way we did it before, but I am saying it worked great and cost less than you may think so its worth looking into.

Doing it as a run group and cramming a lot of non-driving stuff into the day will be a tough at best IMHO.

SeanH88

Qualifying Strategy....

How many laps do I do before the tires heat up and I need to cool them down, before I start again?

Who do I partner with? How many cars?

Do I bump draft? Where on track can I get away with this?

How much fuel do I put in the car?

What should I do when I mis a shift or blow a lap?

What do I do when I get behind a car that is faster than me on the straight away, but slower than me in the corners?

What do I do if I am stuck behind a group of cars?

How do I let faster cars past me without slowing myself down or effecting my qualifying lap?

Which Tires do I run?

Where is the timing line on the track?

Where do I grid myself? Just because fast cars run to the front of the grid, doesn't mean that is ideal for everyone.

I can't tell if you guys are kidding about the strategy or not. There is just as much mental prep as their is physical prep in this game.

I personally have not raced Miata's enough to say that the qualifying line is different than the race line, but with some cars, there is a difference on which line you run and where you begin your "flyer".

These are the types of things that Ken, Bruce, Joey, Gary, Will etc all know and do, and I think a lot of people can learn from thier experiences.

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by SeanH88:

Whatever Cochran says, plus a gallon. [Big Grin] [duck]
quote:
What do I do when I get behind a car that is faster than me on the straight away, but slower than me in the corners?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHyVsET_kg [Cool]

Great stuff Sean, keep it coming. I think this will be a tremendously useful clinic. [yep]

--------------------

Veteran Member

quote:

"Defended the dirt...."
 -

quote:

quote:

Great stuff Sean, keep it coming. I think this will be a tremendously useful clinic. [yep]

I think that was a lesson in track etiquette. [Big Grin]

And Pat, fix your mirror.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHyVsET_kg
So your answer is "Scandanavian flicks"? [Razz]

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbzLRYpqYVo

I'm so bummed that I didn't make last weekend's race...

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
So your answer is "Scandanavian flicks"? [Razz]

Isn't that always the answer? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kyle Freiheit

quote:
Qualifying Strategy....

How many laps do I do before the tires heat up and I need to cool them down, before I start again?

Who do I partner with? How many cars?

Do I bump draft? Where on track can I get away with this?

What should I do when I mis a shift or blow a lap?

What do I do if I am stuck behind a group of cars?

How do I let faster cars past me without slowing myself down or effecting my qualifying lap?

Which Tires do I run?

Where is the timing line on the track?

Where do I grid myself? Just because fast cars run to the front of the grid, doesn't mean that is ideal for everyone.

I can't tell if you guys are kidding about the strategy or not. There is just as much mental prep as their is physical prep in this game.

I personally have not raced Miata's enough to say that the qualifying line is different than the race line, but with some cars, there is a difference on which line you run and where you begin your "flyer".

These are the types of things that Ken, Bruce, Joey, Gary, Will etc all know and do, and I think a lot of people can learn from thier experiences.

This is exactly what I am talking about.. I started writing down some qualifying questions but you pretty much nailed them all. Thanks..

Pat,
Fix your mirror.

Kyle

Todd Butler

Region: Oregon
Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PIR Rental Monday-Thursdays
$4500/day

Sean great thoughts on the clinic and excellent topics wrt qualifying. Racing is physical and mental for the driver and you have to bring both to the game to play well.

Pro Drive has High Performance Lapping days. You might be able to swing a deal with them and work in your clinic during one of those days. Yes you'd pay something for track time, but under the auspices of Pro Drive, insurance and corner workers and track control would be covered already. It would make the logistics of doing this a heck of a lot easier.

Todd

SeanH88

Ok.... So if we tried for a Thursday, would people still be interested, or would it need to be a Friday or a weekend? My boss is kind of a pain, and I'm not sure he would let me take a day off during the week. [Smile]

We cant be on the track every waking moment, so would there be any heartburn if we invited the Pro3 guys to share in our track day to help offset expense? Track only, not clinic. If they want out agenda, they could do their own clinic.

Thanks Todd... I will get in touch with Todd Harris.

Let me know what you guys think!

Sean

jatterbu Verified Driver

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a great idea and I think it'd just be a blast to go out on the track and help out with this sort of thing! Without people like Gary, Will, Ken and even Bruce I know that I would be nowhere. I can recall some times this year where I've gone over to the nemesis, Sneaky Sutherland, and asked for tips on driving and he has helped me without thinking twice. Just goes to show you, everyone out here is nice enough to help out. As Will says, "I'll help you as much as I can until you beat me, then you're cutoff!"

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Even Bruce! Okay, I'll admit I've been remiss at beating pro driver boys lateley... But I've come out of self imposed exile to say I started building "The Revenge of Tigger" This one's going to be big time fast and will eat Barbie cars any given sunday, or even Mondays-Thursdays as the case may be [Big Grin]

Where do I buy those freaky sunglasses? I gotta look gansta like pro drver boys...

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Question for you all:

Where could/would a newbie-wannabe-hasn't-turned-a-wheel-fender-to-fender-yet type like me potentially fit in to a clinic like this?
Or not?

I would LOVE to go into my novice starts having this type of Spec Miata specific knowledge/experience, but would hate to muck it up for real racers. Not even sure the track would let me play without an area license anyway...but an opportunity like this comes but once every 5 years? If at all?

The Conference (IRDC) driver course (which I'm planning to take again in my Miata in July) is great, but not as comprehensive as what you're talking about here. It will get me signed off for a novice license, but I bet I'd feel even more confident after something like this.

Anyone need 185 lbs of ballast on the passenger side of their car? [Wink]

Thoughts?

Oh and feel free to be brutal and say "you're not ready grasshopper", "this is for big kids"...whatever. I can totally take it. [duck]

--------------------
Brian

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Even Bruce! Okay, I'll admit I've been remiss at beating pro driver boys lateley... But I've come out of self imposed exile to say I started building "The Revenge of Tigger" This one's going to be big time fast and will eat Barbie cars any given sunday, or even Mondays-Thursdays as the case may be [Big Grin]

Where do I buy those freaky sunglasses? I gotta look gansta like pro drver boys...

-bw

You need some Fernando Alonso sunglasses for the full effect. Joey's appeared to be 1985-vintage Vuarnets, retro-chic. [Wink]

--------------------

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kristine, help me out here fast girl... Pat's too friggin old and I fear he will steer me wrong. Taking fashion advice from him, I'll end up looking like my mom did in the 70s [Big Grin]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Benthin:
Oh and feel free to be brutal and say "you're not ready grasshopper", "this is for big kids"...whatever. I can totally take it. [duck]

Hey Grasshopper, don't forget, most of us our amateurs [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

genaro cuevas

Region: 27
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for genaro cuevas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i would be down for this. i need to see other peoples driving styles, from inside there car. they all help me ALOT already, hopefully they wont mind helping me a bit more:) can never learn enough. and i wouldnt be where i am with out will joey gary ken and bruce! soo more school!!!

Pack Fodder

Brian,
I thought there's a SCCA school coming up soon but I can't seem to find it. Even if you're going through the conference program I'd highly recommend the SCCA school too. We got a solid day and a half on the track with good instructors for $340 (I think). Money well spent. It won't cover the type of stuff they're talking about here per se but we were set up with 3 students per instructor and you can pick your instructors brain between run groups. Like conference, there will be all sorts of cars in the group so you'll get practice passing and getting passed pretty much no matter what your speed. It's not like your typical lapping day either where it's all point bys and complete your pass before you enter the turns. Play safe (obviously) but otherwise they try to simulate real racing as much as possible.

Keith

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Brian,

I did both the Conference school and the SCCA school. Two very different approaches. Conference has the advantage of iron nerve instructors who are willing to be in the car. SCCA has the real world advantage of letting you pass from the get go and having amazing instructor drivers around, beside, and in front of you. I felt the SCCA school was a much better preparation for racing and much more intense. In summary, I feel the Conference school is for people who want to decide if they want to race and the SCCA school is for people who want to get in the deep end of the pool.

Regarding your Novice Conference race, remember the objective is to finish, not to win. Personally, mine was a little scary as nobody had passed in the corners,the adrenaline was flowing, and they were doing risky things. I chose to fall back and go for the ride; concentrating on attempting to drive correctly and stay on track.

I would not have a problem with you on track in the proposed school as long as I could identify your car. This is what the big boys do to us newbies. They behave differently around us because they know we make mistakes and give us more room. Over time, if we show competence they give us less and less leeway according to our skill level. That's what makes this group so unique and amazing. For some reason, they actually care that we make it and continue this sport. Sean's proposal and the responses above are a perfect example of the amazing character of this group of people.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Hey Grasshopper, don't forget, most of us our amateurs [Smile]

-bw

Thanks Bruce.

I guess what I was wondering was, depending on when this happens, would not being a licensed racer (yet) preclude me from participation?

What if my car isn't complete? I'll have the back half of the cage done, seats, harnesses and suspension ready in July...but it won't be a full-blown SM by then.

Maybe I'm dreamin'. [blush]

--------------------
Brian

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It all starts with the dream...

--------------------
Chris Klein

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess I'll jump in after a bit of an absence. I am also doing (finally) the IRDC drivers school. And I am ok with their approach to driver preparation and the closer proximity to my neighborhood. I will continue to autox and do SCCA track trails until I am out on the track. Currently targeting the Conference race in September at Pacific.

I also, much like Brian, would find a SM clinic invaluable whether or not I was allowed on the track with the "heavyweights". I could certainly bring my car and offer it to someone else to drive for feedback on how it feels. And I certainly would enjoy riding about with anyone having a spare seat. I also would enjoy being out on the track. Hell, I'd put the biggest orange sticker all over my car denoting my lowly status, for a chance to run side by side with Keith and friends.

I hope this can come to fruition and as long as I have enough notice I can certainly make a date. Weekdays are ok.....Seems if there 20-30 cars the price would be pretty reasonable.

Will keep following this....

Regards,

Bill

PS: anyone have any more RA-1's they need to jetison?? You can't have your set back Greg! LOL

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: