Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Powder Coating and R888 rains

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Powder Coating and R888 rains
Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just had 4 wheels powder coated, matt black, very nice finish, $100 for 4 wheels. A multitude of colours available. Casey claims he can powder coat pretty much anything metal and his new extra large oven will be up and running shortly.

Chap's name is Casey, nice guy, works out of his Mom's garage in PDX. I said I'd pass it on to the NWSM crowd.

You can email casey caseyfowler2001@yahoo.com.

Also, just a thought. Does anyone have an R888 rains they no longer require, I thought they might work for my street miata.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just curious, how much weight did the powdercoating add to your wheels?

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does he use the low temp powder coating for wheels?

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope so on the low temp.....Don't want to powder coat race wheels, it does weaken the alloy.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe he can do low temp. Not sure if that changes the price. These were a set of OEM take offs for my street miata.

I'd recommend emailing Casey for the specifics.

Added wieght - not sure, take off for the street car, so I was paying that much attention. I suspect Casey might me able to estimate based on the amount of powder he uses. Again, emailing Casey for the specifics would be best.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a set of 888 rains that I ran with once at Bremerton. I dont think they are flat spotted but I may be wrong about that. PM me if youre interested and I can send you some pics

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The first set of wheels I bought was gloss white. I powder coat them Carbotech grey every time I use them.

(What was I thinking putting white wheels on a race car??? [nope] )

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jim Graffy Verified Driver

Region: NW / OR
Car #: 01
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Graffy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy -

I have a set of sticker 888's.

Jim

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The first set of wheels I bought was gloss white. I powder coat them Carbotech grey every time I use them.

(What was I thinking putting white wheels on a race car??? [nope] )

It's not so bad. I've driven with white wheels many years. You do have to clean them between races though. BTW, I have a set of Kazera Kz1s for sale if anyone's interested.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 to the cleaning! I have 3 sets of white wheels.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ooh... powder coating wheels is muy dangerouso!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

John Wymore

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, has anybody ever had powder coat removed from wheels? I have a set of wheels, two are black powder coat and two are not. Would prefer to have all un-coated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: