Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » March 6-7 SCCA Race at PIR Roll Call (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 4 1  2  3  4  next » 

Author Topic: March 6-7 SCCA Race at PIR Roll Call
PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too late now, but for what it's worth, I expect that fresh-ish R888s with stock bump stops would be faster than eight year-old RA1s with the Fat Cats.

Edit: My spare R888s are spoken for.

[ 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: PedalFaster ]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can always re-mount/balance tires (Both dad and I work for auto shops) but I'm just hoping it rains. If not, oh well, a good time to practice car control, I'm not out there to win anything this season, just to have fun!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So far we have more intries than SRF, again.

They better get thier numbers up or they'll lose thier own run group! [Smile] If I remember corectly we beat them on entries for 2009.

If Todd would buy a second car I woud help them out by driving it. I'm a real team player that way.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now that you mention it. I ran the numbers a couple weeks ago and yes SM won out for 2009 with 101 entries on per weekend basis to 94 SRF entries for the year.

You're always giving Ken [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We got 16 entries so far. Shooting for at least 20.

Weather looks great for the weekend.
Cloudy on Sat and sunny on Sun.

Time to clean the cobwebs out and get an early start to the year. Maybe some of those worried about rain will decide to come out and play.

Tom

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:

Hi Tom. What weather data source? Weather Channel shows 30% rain all weekend. Not that I trust the Weather Channel. Just want to start comparing sources during this season to find who's the most accurate on their 7-10 day forecasts.

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weather channel is probably the worst source for weather on the West Coast. I've found KGW.com to be the most accurate, and Accuweather.com is pretty good too.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Weather channel is probably the worst source for weather on the West Coast. I've found KGW.com to be the most accurate, and Accuweather.com is pretty good too.

-bw

You're probably right.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:

Hi Tom. What weather data source? Weather Channel shows 30% rain all weekend. Not that I trust the Weather Channel. Just want to start comparing sources during this season to find who's the most accurate on their 7-10 day forecasts.
I looked at several sites. When a site says cloudy and 30% change of rain it really means that at some point in the 24 hour time period it has a 30% chance of rain. That could be in the middle of the night oor day. So what are the odds it will rain on our 1/2 hour parade???

Sunday showed sunny with 20% chance of rain.

Last March there was a something like 90% chance of rain/snow on race day and we ended up running the SM race in the dry under partly cloudy skies.

Last March I bought my only set of 888 rains at the track because of the threat of rain. I ended up shaving them as my only set of 888 drys(which is the same set I will race on this weekend. So how do I know it will be dry??? I bought a new set of RA1 rains...it never rains when I have rain tires [Big Grin]

Tom

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep in mind that, as Tom writes that, he's doing a daily rain dance.

[Smile]

Randy Thieme

I'm starting to compare Weather Channel to Weather Underground (not the 60's movement).

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
Keep in mind that, as Tom writes that, he's doing a daily rain dance.

[Smile]

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! ...not suppose to be telling anyone about that [Smile]

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom -

Can't we have at least a day and a half of dry for the school for crying out loud. By race time my car will probably be dirty enough that a little mud won't be noticeable as I exit pavement at various corners following Keith's lines from last year!

Anybody know when the gates will be open Thursday since it appears we are to get out cars unloaded etc, prior to the 4pm registration?

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I resemble that remark!

I did learn a lot from a few of those. I had a couple mechanical issues, drove over my head or in my mirrors a couple times, learned that when the tires get really squirmy even if you're having a fast lap you have to make it around for it to count, and tried to let some fast guys pass without giving up too much speed, even if that meant driving on the oil and speed dry. I was trying hard and learning. You can't say I wasn't trying so no shame in my game.

I'm still on the fence about this weekend. I'd love to be there but if it comes down to a last minute dash it probably won't happen. It's all for fun so I'm not going to stress about it. If I show up dead tired, frazzled and brain dead it will be a waste of time and money. I'd rather race more later better prepared and in a good frame of mind.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith -

If you ain't racing, then come on down and help me out. I'll buy you the best steak dinner in Portland for what ever day you can get down...Friday, Saturday or Sunday...you know this old man is going to be pretty beat come Sunday.

You know I was just kidding ya regarding your agricultural nature!

But, still wanting to find out when the gates will open Thursday ----I'm hoping by 3pn

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

W.-

There's a test day on Thursday so I'd guess it would be 4 or 5:00 at the earliest.

Ken

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I resemble that remark!

I did learn a lot from a few of those. I had a couple mechanical issues, drove over my head or in my mirrors a couple times, learned that when the tires get really squirmy even if you're having a fast lap you have to make it around for it to count, and tried to let some fast guys pass without giving up too much speed, even if that meant driving on the oil and speed dry. I was trying hard and learning. You can't say I wasn't trying so no shame in my game.

I'm still on the fence about this weekend. I'd love to be there but if it comes down to a last minute dash it probably won't happen. It's all for fun so I'm not going to stress about it. If I show up dead tired, frazzled and brain dead it will be a waste of time and money. I'd rather race more later better prepared and in a good frame of mind.

I wonder how often that really happens... even with pro teams. That's what the first weekend is for. If you don't do it this time, you'll do it in April [Smile]

For example, I'm looking at a car right now that was just painted yesterday, has no seat, windshield, rear bumper and entire front bumper assembly, belly pan, etc. I need to mount tires, apply number/decals, borrow a trailer and plan for a racing school... And the last 4 weeks, I've been working in Bellevue and my car is here in PDX. You should show up just to see if I made it to the racetrack Thursday night [Big Grin]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Gold Member

Hmmm, mostly sunny, mostly sunny and partly sunny on KGW! I'm mounting my rain tires tomorrow, so that should help too.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put my crappy 888 rains on Sunday. The theory is that I need to use them up anyways and it's a school, not a race. I don't need to use up my nice RA1's during school. Because of this my weather prognostication is for full on sunshine. That way I can wave everybody past me as I slide around on those crummy 888's.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alright, 99.9 percent ready for this weekend! Dad and I finally finished the car tonight and it is ready to rock (We hope!).

Keith, come on out and play man! It's all about having fun and I need people faster then me to chase!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

Seat and windshield in, now just have front and rear bumbers and hardtop. Hmm wonder if they'll be done being painted before Thursday. Need to install transponder, antenna, radio, new radio box, pickup and apply decals, borrow a trailer, and plan a racing school, and pay terrell rent for holding on to my OMP kill switch for so long... What day is the race? Oh and installed wipers today, so that will fix the rain for sure.

You guys have some fresh blood and fellow Chumpcar pilot (Garth not Stein) to have your way with, can't believe you'd pass that up [Big Grin]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Believe me Kyle, Iíve trying. Iíve hit a few part snags w/o time to do much about them. For example, it turns out, you can order a battery on Mazdaís websiteÖbut they donít actually ship them any more and just go on backorder for ever. Bummer. Been waiting weeks for that and found out this morning.

Iíve done quite a bit of work. Motor is back in with the head I *didnít* build myself and a trans with all 5 gears. Motor mounts arenít broken anymore. The AIM system will be nice. Shift lights, no more constantly scanning the gauges checking for leaks and I wonít have to mentally compute lap times before turn 1 using the Timex strapped to my steering wheel. Extra LH mirror actually lets me see my LHS. Brakes should be a bit better. Hubs and CVs will have grease in them and the long wheel studs remind me of the Ben Hur chariots. Diff will have the right R&P, new bearings and all that good stuff. Plus enough other odds and ends that I crossed off a couple pages of To-Do items.

It looks like Slim just left town but Iíll still get the car finished up very soon. It will give me time for a good alignment job and take it out to Bremerton for a day to shake it down and work any bugs out so I donít finish my 1st practice session and spend the next couple hours diagnosing and fixing a fluid leak or something.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith! I will yank the battery out of my street Miata for the weekend if that will help.

--------------------
Chris Klein

Pack Fodder

Thanks for the offer Chris. I played with the thought of starting it on the charger to check things over, set timing and get it trailered to PIR then deal with it in Portland but again, I'm a touched bummed but not stressing about it. Between SCCA, ICSCC, and CC there are 2-3 races a month on the calendar from Apr-Oct.

Last season when too often I was in a frantic rush to be ready, I'd miss something and cause myself a bunch of extra work fixing the car between sessions and races. Iím planning to get a lot of races in this year so I figure if I start out with everything in good working order Iíll be able to spend more time racing this year and less time fixing. Bruce and Ken can do a tub swap during lunch while flipping burgers and know the car will be 100% for the afternoon session. Iím not quite there yet. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Chris Klein

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See I think that is part of Bruce's stick, if everything was all done and all he has was tire pressures he would end up over thinking the race and some how end up starting at the back of the pack! [Smile] He needs that kind of pressure to take his mind off of things...

But for us regular folk... it's nice to relax before the race...

--------------------
Chris Klein

19 SM entries so far.

Come on Keith...up to you to make it 20

Tom

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, go down to your nearest Napa store and ask them for a Miata battery. It will be the same size, same weight, etc. and will cost you $130.00 (expensive). It conforms to the GCR.

Now you don't have any excuses except that you are a whimp! Be a man and come out and race.

Terrell (the guy Keith will follow around this year, that is when he's not following Randy who will be following me [yep] )

--------------------
terrell garrett

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
Keith, ....

Now you don't have any excuses except that you are a whimp! Be a man and come out and race.

Terrell (the guy Keith will follow around this year, that is when he's not following Randy who will be following me [yep] )

[rolling on floor laughin] You guys are too funny

W. Bonsell

Hell Keith ----

I'll buy you a steak dinner even if you kick my ass on Sunday. Ditto what Terrell says about the battery. Grab one from your friendly auto parts store.

Don't tell me your holding out for tires or something???

And we need another red car to balance the field.

Bill
#38 '91 Red/Black Miata

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You know it's been a long silly season when a simple "roll call" thread goes well over 100 posts!

I hope to see you all in April.

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
You know it's been a long silly season when a simple "roll call" thread goes well over 100 posts!

I hope to see you all in April.

Yep, 130 posts in 28 days!

Veteran Member

131!

Veteran Member

quote:
Extra LH mirror actually lets me see my LHS.
That reminds me... I'm missing my RH outside mirror. I swear I loaned it to someone last year but I can't remember who. (Joey at Thunderhill?)

I don't think the dental mirrors are legal anymore, right?

Randy Thieme

Too busy at work to post. Wait this is a post. Still too busy...

Gold Member

We'll be grabbing Reserved paddock spaces for everyone Thursday morning. Let me know if you have any preferences.

When you arrive, please look for the yellow contruction tape back against the grass by the restrooms adjacent the Prodrive paddocks spaces, grab your spot and then fix/put the tape back up so others can do the same.

Thanks,

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken SM-94:
quote:
That reminds me... I'm missing my RH outside mirror. I swear I loaned it to someone last year but I can't remember who. (Joey at Thunderhill?)

We need bof:

"OEM exterior mirrors shall be retained. Mirror mounting position may be changed, but must remain within 6Ē of the original location on the exterior of the door. The OEM interior mirrors may be removed, relocated or replaced by a mirror of any design. Additional mirrors may be added, both interior and exterior."

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

All you guys started believing the forecast for sunny weather and put your dry tires back on. Now the forecast is looking like rain. Please put you rain tires back on so we can have sunshine.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

Regarding Paddock reserved space, Tom has requested 4 spots in the middle row and he will be arriving Saturday. We have 6 in the middle and about 20 on the edge of the grass. Please squeeze in as tight as you can.

It shouldn't be a problem getting extra spaces around the group too, as we make up about 1/3 of the entire entry list for all classes.

thanks,

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

quote:
All you guys started believing the forecast for sunny weather and put your dry tires back on. Now the forecast is looking like rain. Please put you rain tires back on so we can have sunshine.

My rains are on in support of your dry request. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Regarding Paddock reserved space, Tom has requested 4 spots in the middle row and he will be arriving Saturday. We have 6 in the middle and about 20 on the edge of the grass. Please squeeze in as tight as you can.

It shouldn't be a problem getting extra spaces around the group too, as we make up about 1/3 of the entire entry list for all classes.

thanks,

-bw

Hey Bruce,

Just top be clear, I'll need 2 rows of 2 (2 x 2), not 4 rows of 2 (2 x 4).

Thanks,

Tom

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Does anyone have a spare 1.8 diff they will loan Keith for the weekend? I have a 1.6 diff, axles, etc. but no driveshaft. Maybe someone will loan him a driveshaft?

You guys got me going when I blew my diff during school, let's help Keith this time. That way I may have a chance of legitimately beating him Sunday.

terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

I have a spare driveshaft.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

I'm envisioning Terrell with a COLLEGE sweatshirt on yelling, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Keith, you are a !?ssy if you don't show up. We have the parts, the tools, and the expertise to get you going. Quit screwing around, put the car on the trailer and get your !ss down here! After all, I beat you last year with an open diff, can't you beat me? A real man would take that challenge.

--------------------
terrell garrett

misterwaterfallin

Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hey guys I have a set of full depth 888's on team dynamics 1.2's. Im going down saturday morning to get the car tech'd so they will be available then if anyone wants to pick them up. Im posting them in the classifieds soon but if anyone wants them let me know. If they sell to a local first I'll gladly pay the $5 to the site

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Chris Klein

If Keith is running a 1.8 and you drop a 4.3 diff in that should give him some serious jump out of the corners!

--------------------
Chris Klein

misterwaterfallin

Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JimEli:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken SM-94:
quote:

We need bof:

"OEM exterior mirrors shall be retained. Mirror mounting position may be changed, but must remain within 6Ē of the original location on the exterior of the door. The OEM interior mirrors may be removed, relocated or replaced by a mirror of any design. Additional mirrors may be added, both interior and exterior."

Do you know where that can be found in the GCR? and will my car get an annual with out it?

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Keith, you are a !?ssy if you don't show up. We have the parts, the tools, and the expertise to get you going. Quit screwing around, put the car on the trailer and get your !ss down here! After all, I beat you last year with an open diff, can't you beat me? A real man would take that challenge.

Bravo! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Pack Fodder

I'm seriously debating how to winch my car onto the trailer just to kick your ass Terrell.

Matt- It shouldn't be a problem getting your annual. Last year it was explained to me that the annual is about safety, not class rules compliance.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

misterwaterfallin

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I'm seriously debating how to winch my car onto the trailer just to kick your ass Terrell.

Matt- It shouldn't be a problem getting your annual. Last year it was explained to me that the annual is about safety, not class rules compliance.

that's what I assumed, but I got an hour long inspection last year so I dont want to go all the way down there and be turned down.

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Page 3 of 4 1  2  3  4  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: