Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » April 17th Race Ride Along

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: April 17th Race Ride Along
Jonny Davies Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: #67
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonny Davies     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys-

If you are planning on attending the race next weekend And you have the ability to put in an passenger seat, And you would like to give corner workers hot lap rides at lunch, let me know. The idea is to give back to the workers that make our race possible. SM's that are available can take a passenger Saturday at lunch. Keep in mind that these laps are follow the leader...no passing. and 7-8tenths speed. Still, it should be plenty fun for the workers, some of whom have never had a hot lap around the track. Send me a note if you can do it. Jon@columbiariverins.com

Cheers!

--------------------
Oregon Region SM 67
Hershner & Bell Insurance Agency

weidspeed Verified Driver

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jon and Todd Butler, thanks for taking the lead on this worker ride program. This was a great way to thank the workers. I expect this program to grow in popularity.

Eddie Nakato, all around good guy and SSB racer, rounded out an otherwise all-SM support of driving duty. In addition to Eddie and Jonny, Geoff Cochran, Will Schrader, Ken Sutherland, and Mark de Regt all helped out giving rides to workers. What really shows great worker support and racing community dedication is the fact that Geoff, Will and Jon weren't racing (or at least not racing SM) that weekend. For that matter, Mark was doubling up in IT, so he drove from practice to line up for hot laps without a break. Also, I think just about every SM driver and crew (e.g., Red and Garth) not giving rides helped out by working corners or in the hot pits with Jim Murray, Todd, and me. ProDrive helped out by lending helmets ... as did a number of you SM drivers and Todd.

We're looking at doing future worker programs as well as possible other ways to get more people (crew members, some of the HPDE crowd) out of the paddock and experience the track and SCCA. Both Todd and Jim Murray are fully supportive of this effort. Like most things in SCCA -- if it weren't for the volunteers, we wouldn't be racing. By you volunteering this past weekend, we are taking steps to ensure a positive experience for our workers!

Thanks again!
Jim

Will Schrader Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: oregon
Car #: 41
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Will Schrader     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Shawn Hill and Robert Linse for putting a seat in the beautiful #55 so that I could use it to give rides.

Will

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well I had a blast working the flags. I'm pretty sure I used them all. Mostly at inappropriate times I hope [Big Grin]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not sure what my rider thought when Ken bump-drafted me up the back straight....

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys made a lot of people really happy. I saw some huge grins that lasted the whole day. Some of your riders will be telling stories about those rides for a long long time to come.
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I'm not sure what my rider thought when Ken bump-drafted me up the back straight....

Not too much since we were only going 7/10ths [Wink]

Turns out his buddy was riding with me. I talked to them later and they were both very pumped over their rides.

Will's daughter, Christina was the last to ride with me and she told me she had already been out twice before. When I asked her who else she went out with she said, Will, and "some old guy".

I guess Jonny looks old with a helmet on! [rolling on floor laughin]

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My daughter Sheridan had a blast! Her face beamed all weekend. Thanks to all of you and especially to Geoff who gave her a safe ride. After all, she's still my baby girl even though she's 15.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell,

She will always be your baby girl. Believe me and others who say so as we've been and are there.

As for the rides; It's a good thing you did as smiles have been known to be highly contagious.

Jim

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:

Shhhhhhh! You guys were only going 7/10 remember?
We want to do this again....!

Some of those rides would have been quite respectable SM race laps, you all did a great job out there, even played nice with Eddie Nakato's big Honda [Big Grin] Thanks to everybody, drivers in cars, drivers on corners, drivers organizing. Stuff like this does not happen without volunteers stepping up and taking the lead.

Again thanks!

Todd Butler

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM ride-alongs always crack me up. I remember the ones we did as part of the Mazda GP in Portland. I'm pretty sure most SM drivers don't even remember how to go 7/10ths... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, I was supposed to be going MY 7/10?

My bad; I thought they meant Ken's 7/10, which is pretty much flat out for me.

[Smile]

weidspeed Verified Driver

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wish we had a picture of the poor guy we shoe horned into Mark's car. Garth & I were just mashing the guys stomach to make the belts fit. It was sort of like press fitting in a bushing. Once we got him in, it was a hell of time getting him out! Fortunately, we didn't have to apply heat to break the seal!

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty sure Mark's car had a list to the right as he left Hot Pits. At least the "ballast" was on the right side of the car for the PIR track!

Next time we do this we need to swipe some of those seat belt extensions the airlines use for hefty passengers!

Todd

Veteran Member

It was really fun giving those folks, who make it all happen for us, rides. Adding 15% to the total mass of the system, all at once and in the passenger seat, did interesting things to the handling (the only thing still working well with my car). At one point, I got a bit loose in turn 6 (what else is new?), and it was amusing to see the wide eyes in my passenger. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: