Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » April Portland/PIR Roll Call

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: April Portland/PIR Roll Call
Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No one else started a roll call yet so thought I would. Cautiously optimistic car is fixed. Going to use the local Porsche club's trackday Thursday as a shakedown. If it passes I'll be there for the race. If not I'll still be there but working a corner.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm planning on it. Is there a Prodrive day on Friday? I was hoping to get a bit of practice and testing in and already made a no ifs ands or buts I'm not working on Friday declaration despite all hell breaking loose on the work front.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In, SM only.

Weidspeed will be using my car in ITA.

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like I will be there [Smile]

Tom

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm planning my return to racing for next weekend, if the forecast remains good. SM and ITA, at this point.

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Though Portland March school/race was a blast, will miss this one. Will be with Conference May 1 at Pacific and SCCA Pacific over Memorial Day weekend!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nope - will be in California getting reamed at a national-level autocross. Hoping to make my road racing debut this year at the Confrence race in Seattle in early May.

Edit: Phone auto-"corrected" "reamed" to "teamed".

[ 04-11-2010, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: PedalFaster ]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Is there a Prodrive day on Friday?

I believe so.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is. The internet is a wonderful resource. [Wink]

Why are ProDrive test days so expensive? Adding $400 and another hotel night (not even including wear & tear on car and ancient driver) makes it less attractive than it might otherwise be.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too much for sure. With the attendance they get at test days, they probably don't break even at those prices. They were a bit more reasonable in the past, but attendance wasn't any better then. I remember spending a whole day with just several cars on track and most of the time it was me in my Miata and Monte in his 800hp Vette just trying to keep up [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was in, but too close money wise to comfortably do it. Still need to get my ducks in a row before I come back out on track.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know where I got it in my head that a season pass was a lot less than $2k. Pricey indeed.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Renting the track is expensive. They may get a break since it's usually a weekday and not a weekend. The clubs that run HDPE events seem to get enough of a reliable turn-out to amortize the costs more per attendee. My two experiences with test days are that they are sparsely attended.

Dudley Redhead

Car #: 01
SMIM: 2009 Ore. Region Crew Chief of the Year 2010 Ore. Region ITA Champion
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be at the track Friday and will reserve spaces for Spec Miata cars, and space in center for big trailers of Tom and Mark.
Lets have fun.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Car's still screwed up electrically despite the appreciated attempts by Randy. I'm dropping it off Wed. morning to a guy who supposedly knows how to fix it. His success or failure determines my attendance or lack thereof.

Quite frankly I'm getting a little frustrated. This is ten months of electrical problems and living at the back in part because of them (Keith, spare the the loser driver response on this one).

If this guy fails does anyone know a wiring guru? We believe the problem is at the harness/ECU connector. If you think I'm a crappy driver you should see my electrical skills.

In the meantime I play in the fantasy world of iracing.com to quell some of my frustrations.

Speaking of iracing, ask Randy about his experiences there. I hear he's a little hard on shifters.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
Speaking of iracing, ask Randy about his experiences there. I hear he's a little hard on shifters.

Hey, it's not my fault the shifter wasn't welded to the table.

Randy Thieme

I think the trash talking's started.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got my weekends mixed up. Very doubtful I'll race. I will stop by as my kid has skidcar Saturday. Don't want to spend the money on a race again until I know the car will run. Maybe I'll do the Cascade HPDE (boring, no passing)the following weekend and see if its fixed.

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Randy, if you think you were funny the other day you should have seen me yesterday on iracing with a spec ford racer. All I did was spin out, hit walls and rearrange the gravel at Laguna.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Dudley Redhead

Car #: 01
SMIM: 2009 Ore. Region Crew Chief of the Year 2010 Ore. Region ITA Champion
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spoke with Bruce this morning. Will try and reserve paddock area for all of us, but will hopefully be where we were last Rose Cup, in other words down near Gary Bockman. Will be at track 7:30 Friday morning to reserve our spaces.
Anyone who wishes can call me at 503-381-6682.
So far weather is looking good and dry.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can't make it. Next race though.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We've decided to move the reserved spaces back to where we usually paddock, back near the grass and some middle spaces.

As always, please replace the yellow construction tape after you've moved in to ensure others get their spaces.

Thanks!

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Randy Thieme

Since I won't have a large trailer (just yet) I'll take the space by the grass in front of the light pole.

Randy Thieme

Still having electrical issues so may have to withdraw. [Frown]

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

There is a very slight possibility that we fixed my electrical so I'll probably show up and try yet one more time.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Congrats to Gary for winning the sprint, Ken for winning the main, everyone for surviving the bizzare conditions in the ITA quals, and Sean for being an ITA ass-kicking machine.

Watching the SM races in the stands and from pit lane, there was a lot of good racing going on all around.

A big thanks to Terrell. I showed up mostly sulking and bitter about my dead motor, just to be there and hopefully lend a hand if I could(thanks to Leanne for dragging me there against my will). I did get to drive a car in anger after all, just not mine. Terrell did soundly beat my times all weekend and there's no arguing about whether it was motor or driver because it was 2 drivers in his car. If there was any question his engine was on it's very last legs, it letting go on me somewhere around T9 with 2 laps to go erased all doubt.

In all sincerity I couldn't hope to race with a better bunch of people than the OR/NW region SM crew.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
In all sincerity I couldn't hope to race with a better bunch of people than the OR/NW region SM crew.

You can say that again. I really miss being a part of it.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Gold Member

The sprint race was an all out brawl, with one or two lead changes per lap. Not having any plan in particular, Ken and I used Gary to draft by each other, pretty funny considering we are teammates. On the last lap, I pushed Gary by Ken, going into t10. Ken dropped a wheel off the outside of 10 and was essentially pointed somewhere in the direction of the front gate. Luckily he scrubbed enough speed off before he went into the grass. I was pretty worried that we would be pulling Kens car out of the tires, but all turned out well, and Gary went on to the win. All in all, more fun I've had in a racecar in a long time!

Congrats on your Win Ken, I had nothing for you this time, but I will be back [Smile]

Mark allowed me to stig his car in the final ITA race. Even though we were all approved by registration, the stewards seemed caught off guard and started pointing black flags at me. I guess I wasn't perfectly lined up in the back of the field [Big Grin] I basically stunk up the joint with Mark's car and he had to talk me down from off the top of the footbridge promising me he would change the tranny and the motor [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
bizzare conditions in the ITA quals

Do tell...

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Gold Member

Damn I would be worse than Ricky Bobby on camera thanking sponsors...

Forgot to give the shout out to our sponsor when he was actually joining us to race.

Many many thanks to Miatacage.com for feeding us lunch every race weekend. I love flipping burgers for y'all, but none of that would be possible without Sean forking out a couple hunder bucks every race weekend. It just makes our class all that better when we get together like that.

Thanks Sean!!!

Also, We going to try and do this on Saturdays (instead of Sundays) in the future. Easier on the race srategy for everyone.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
quote:
bizzare conditions in the ITA quals

Do tell...
It started raining at the five minute warning. Started raining seriously as they released us. I was blasting out 1:48's in the rain, on shaved RA-1's, but then it started to dry out. Everywhere except 10/11/12. It was so very strange going pretty much full speed on the whole track, except pussy-footing my way through the last turns.

Turn 12 stayed like ice the entire session, with nothing even remotely like a dry line developing.

I'll deny it if anyone ever quotes me, but it was kind of fun in the rain for me, for the first time ever. I'll still avoid race weekends when rain is pretty certain, but I'll not hate the thought so much when it crops up anyway. Part of it, of course, was that, driving without a motor as I was, rain is a great equalizer. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Mark allowed me to stig his car in the final ITA race. Even though we were all approved by registration, the stewards seemed caught off guard and started pointing black flags at me. I guess I wasn't perfectly lined up in the back of the field [Big Grin] I basically stunk up the joint with Mark's car and he had to talk me down from off the top of the footbridge promising me he would change the tranny and the motor [Smile]

Another example of why this is the very best region. It was evident to me that my car was still beset by demons, and I was terminally tired of trying to race a car whose fourth gear frequently went on unscheduled vacations, and which seemed to have a 3-cylinder, 2-cycle motor. I was going to skip the ITA race and go home in a huff, but Tom convinced me to find a hot-shoe to drive my car in it instead.

Karen McCoy, a true gem in our racing community, approved it immediately, and off Bruce went, with no warning about the oddities of the car. He didn't enjoy the ride too much, but I got confirmation that the car is very sick, and some good ideas as to what to do about it (a fully motor/tranny transplant, and a new SD exhaust).

Between scheduling that work with my very busy crew chief (David's distracted these days...) and my own schedule the next month, I won't get all that done until the Memorial Day race at PR. I hope that it's all well for that, and to see everyone again for that one.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: