Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Could Use Your Help

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Could Use Your Help
Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys from the north, I received a free entry for the Rose Cup race this year. Im seriously thinking about making the trip to the great raining north and run with you guys. My question is any tips on racing the Rose Cup.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Watch out for the thorns on the stems.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Al,

That is awesome! First thing to know about Rose Cup is that it will be the 50th running of one of the most well attended races West of the Mississippi.

Many of us grew up in Oregon watching the Rose Cup races, which eventually turned into the CART weekend, so it has always been a very important weekend for me.

PIR is a tricky track, as it looks easy, especially to folks used to Sears, Laguna, and THill, but it is really harder than it looks. Just ask some of the newer folks around here. The best way to get up to speed will be to attend the practice day the day before. If you have AIM, I would be happy to give you some example data.

So just let me know when you are planning to arive. We will save you and your team/family paddock space next to us, and we'll cook lunch (either Sat or Sun, haven't decided yet) for you and everyone with you. All provided by Sean at miatacage.com.

And anyone else coming from down South, please let me know so we can plan for enough food!

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Watch out for the thorns on the stems.

Funny, I don't think I've ever seen a Rose at the Rose Cup race, except for maybe engraved on the trophy [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does PIR have gas pumps or otherwise provide fuel? I seem to recall no pumps there when I was there.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Gold Member

There is Sunoco 100 provided by a vendor. BTW, we have the same Sunoco giveaway as SFR. But since it isn't out of a pump, it is a little more expensive than what you guys are used to.

There are fuel stations within blocks of PIR, but you need to think ahead a little, as we will be on the inside paddock and you need to get across the track and back during the scheduled crossings (between sessions).

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Kim, there's a vendor that sells Sunoco at all our events.

PIR is a city park so I doubt we'll ever see true fuel pumps.

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ah...that's right...does he come on test days? I seem to recall not when I was there so had to head to the local station for gas...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Gold Member

Yup gotta byob during test day.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you want to come to the PNW, the Rose Cup is definately a great race. The track itself is really convinient. It's right off the highway. There are hotels and mediocre resuraunts across the street. (Being right by the border and right off the highway, valuables are safer in the paddock than the hotel parking lot overnight though.)

I might wake up tomorrow with a horse head in my bed for mentioning this but the summers are really nice and it doesn't rain much. The track surface is new asphault. The SM group is beyond friendly. Even the officials are friendly. (Bruce gets testy though when he's flipping burgers and everyone is too busy shooting the shit, telling war stories and not eating them so grab a burger. :duck)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: