Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » The OFFICIAL Rose Cup Thread June 11th-13th (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Rose Cup Thread June 11th-13th
Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alright, our Daytona of the year is almost here!Who's in, out, stuck on the fence, etc! Too bad most of you will be headed to Laguna instead.

IN:
Kyle K. (SM Only)
Thomas M. (SM Only)
Pat N.
Kyle F.
Bruce W.
Stephen H.

On The Fence:
Sean H. (Laguna or Here)
Bill B.
Mark d.

OUT:
Tom F. (Apparently a 'laguna snob')

Any word on as to if there is a BBQ this weekend?

[ 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Keenan ]

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

SeanH88

Region: OR
Car #: 88
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm trying to make the Laguna road trip, but if I can't find transportation down there for my car then I might be here for Rose Cup.

As far as a BBQ goes, that is all up to Bruce. The funds are there for the BBQ its just the manpower (and woman power) needed to make it happen.

Sean

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in, assuming my car survives the Memorial Day race at Pacific. I am bummed that so many of our regulars are going to Laguna Seca instead. [Frown]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Pass right

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome Pat! Would be fun to see you guys one last time before you leave us in the dust!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I should be in.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm on the fence, NOT!

BBQ will be BIG. Thinking of Filet Mignon this time... Well unless Sean shows up [Big Grin]

Awesome Pat! We'll have a blast. We just need to get a few conference folks to come and we'll show those Laguna snobs where the real fun is!

Question is who will fill out the podium???

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I rescheduled my wedding anniversary just so that I could attend. [Smile]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just joined the list of 'Laguna snobs'

Honestly it was a tough decision but to have the chance to go to a Laguna with some of the best of the Northwest was just too hard to pass up. We'll try to make you proud of us snobs [Smile]

-Tom

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bummer Tom, I guess we'll see you guys sometime in 2012 then. [Frown]

--------------------

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm with Sean.

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's the fence for me - May not have the work flexibility for a three day...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm out for the race but will stop by. Leaving Sunday early for T-hill on Monday.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Bummer Tom, I guess we'll see you guys sometime in 2012 then. [Frown]

Hey Pat,

I was really hoping to see you guys before you move east. I tried...ran all 3 races this year but you had to go to Italy. Can't believe you would pass up racing for Italy(okay, I'm a little jealous) [Big Grin]

My girls will be at Rose Cup.

Maybe you can plan a visit to Bend before you move.

-Tom

Jim Graffy Verified Driver

Region: NW / OR
Car #: 01
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Graffy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in. SM and ITA. For the additional cost for the privalage of running with the Rose Festival Association as opposed to our local SCCA Region, it better be a damn good shirt.

Jim

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:
Hey Pat,

I was really hoping to see you guys before you move east. I tried...ran all 3 races this year but you had to go to Italy. Can't believe you would pass up racing for Italy(okay, I'm a little jealous) [Big Grin]

My girls will be at Rose Cup.

Maybe you can plan a visit to Bend before you move.

-Tom

Sorry man, we're outta here three weeks after Rose Cup, and no time to make it down to your neck of the woods. We'll see you when we come back, or if you want to come hang out on the other coast. We'll have room for guests! [Smile]

On topic- I am in for SM and ITA as well. Gotta get every minute of track time I can. [yep]

--------------------

Pass right

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Graffy:
I'm in. SM and ITA. For the additional cost for the privalage of running with the Rose Festival Association as opposed to our local SCCA Region, it better be a damn good shirt.

Jim

Let's just hope Terrel doesnt do his dance in his like last year....

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Graffy:

Jim

What are you saying Jim??? You didn't like the PINK one they gave us last year [Roll Eyes] I gave it to my 10 year old son and he went around and got as many SM driver's signatures he could.

Now that pink shirt is COOL [Cool]

-Tom

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Laguna is going to be good! You guys are coming down and JD is racing his super-build for the first time. I know a few SFR folks are coming off the bench too. Looking forward to it!

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im going to make the treck up to the great white north. Cant wait to try out a new track

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Consider it a trade.

One of our guys is headed up. that counts as all of yours coming down, right?

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Pass right

Sadly, I think "Oregon Region" will have more racers in Cali then we will here, for our biggest race of the year!

Al, pull some strings and get some of your cali buddies up here! I want to make sure we got at least 20 cars taking the green this year!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Al, you have a PM.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Keenan:
Sadly, I think "Oregon Region" will have more racers in Cali then we will here, for our biggest race of the year!

I'm disappointed as well. There's a whole season of races at Laguna, while Rose Cup happens just once per year. Of all the weekends in the year, why pick the Rose Cup weekend to race out of town?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some of us don't see the magic that surrounds Rose Cup.

I went once and it was less track time than a normal weekend, spread over 4 days, with lousy pit areas, and a bunch of pomp and circumstance that did nothing for me.

Did I mention I had to push my car like 300 yards onto the grid, in the blazing sun, then stand there and roast for another half hour. (file that under pomp and circumstance)

Couldn't really find a place to eat in the immediate area as they were all full of spectators.

Its just like a regular weekend, but crowded and more expensive, so what is the draw?

If the local guys are beating feet down to Laguna that has to say that they agree with me to some degree....

Enduro addict

Greg, now that Rose Cup is a double regional, it's a lot different and a lot better. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

--------------------

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One of the most fun weekends I have had racing... Ofcourse, we celebrated Pat's bday last year, so that could have been a factor!! Dos Margaritas por favor.

Kyle

Gold Member

Stephen, Laguna has a lot of gravel traps and so the chance of a fcy is a lot higher, so going on a single weekend would be risky. It was the double weekend that worked with most folks summer schedules, certainly not because people didn't want to go to rose cup.

Other than that, like Pat says, Rose cup is a quite a bit different these days now that it's a double regional, and is definitely a lot more SM friendly. It is my all time most favorite weekend with spectators and a 50 year history. And we will have dedicated prime paddock for the SM group.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Bruce has it right.

To travel to Laguna for a single weekend would be too long of a trip. Plus this event has a practice day before and since most of us don't have a lot of time on that track we will need it. So it is kind of the perfect setup that does'nt come along often.

I think we all feel bad about not being at Rose Cup and will truly miss racing with you guys.

-Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:
Some of us don't see the magic that surrounds Rose Cup.

I went once and it was less track time than a normal weekend, spread over 4 days, with lousy pit areas, and a bunch of pomp and circumstance that did nothing for me.

Did I mention I had to push my car like 300 yards onto the grid, in the blazing sun, then stand there and roast for another half hour. (file that under pomp and circumstance)

Couldn't really find a place to eat in the immediate area as they were all full of spectators.

Its just like a regular weekend, but crowded and more expensive, so what is the draw?

If the local guys are beating feet down to Laguna that has to say that they agree with me to some degree....

[nope]

Greg, I have to disagree with you on this. I think the Rose Cup event is great. And with it being a double regional event there's a lot of track time. I think I can speak for everyone going to Laguna that No Way are we going there because we are disatisfied in any way with Rose Cup. Again, it is a great event with great energy...and the best darn BBQ at the track [Big Grin] Just wish it didn't fall on the same weekend as Rose Cup.

Maybe you should make the trip down and (re)experience it.

-Tom

[ 05-14-2010, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Tom's Double O ]

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Greg, so what is it that keeps you away from the regionals? You don't come to those either! [Razz]

It really bums me out to miss Rose Cup (especially now that it's back to a double regional), but I've been wanting to go to Laguna for 8 years. A double race weekend led off by a very rare test day was the clincher for me.

Oh, and I wanted to race with Tommy Dawg!!

Pass right

I think those who do not understand rose cup should look into it's history and the people who've competed in it.

In 1995 I watched my first rose cup race from Turn 12, and said to my Dad that one day I want to be out there too! Here I am 15 years later getting ready to do so [Smile]

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Pass right

A whopping 8 entries thus far?

Porsche GTS has 7....

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

Something wrong with the registration system, 'cuz I'm not on the list. I'm counting about 13 so far. Andy R said he was coming. Double regional, food, and somebody has a chance at the podium for both races too. Who will it be? Huge chance for some conference guys to come and kick butt!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Planning to be there; ORP between now and then, so assuming all comes back off the trailer as it goes on, I'm in.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Moonwalker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce - your registration hasn't been confirmed yet, that's why you aren't showing up on the entry list on MotorsportReg.com. Contact Karen if you have questions but I suspect it will happen today.

--------------------

Gold Member

Sorry Brian, didn't mean to say there was a defect [Smile] Very likely that Karen is behind a bit.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not going to Laguna, so tentatively planning on Rose Cup. Not yet sure, however.

Moonwalker

Bruce - no offense taken; just letting you know since I'm procrastinating here at "work"! [Smile]

--------------------

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm on the fence, really want to do RC, my favorite SCCA event of the year. I've only missed it once since I started racing in '03 (we were on vacation the wife planned). But ORP is calling me. The following weekend is a conference race there. Don't wanna wait until the SCCA race in October either. If money and time to prep were no issue I'd do both. We'll see...

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Still hoping to do Rose Cup, but Geoff does make an interesting point, and ORP was a blast over the weekend, the track just kept on getting better.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Veteran Member

I'm out....

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How many cars do you guys usually have in a SMT race? In SFR we have from 50-72, expect 60 for Laguna. Im heading to the Rose CUP to meet some new drivers and the free entry I won doesn't hurt. Even though im in the SFR i dont race Laguna very often due to the high cost of the event.1500-2000 for a weekend there. I truly hope we have a good turn out of SMT racers for the Rose Cup. See you guys in a few weeks. Bruce thanks ill take you up on your offer, hold me a spot.
A

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

Oh I almost forgot.DONT FORGET LUGUNA SOUND RULES! they have let up a little on sound for this race but i would bring a extra muffler with a tail section that points to the drivers side out of the bumper. The sound both is located on the right side up hill after T5. point your exhaust to the drivers side sends the sound in the opposite direction. You will get 3 black flags for sound before being ejected for the weekend.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Enduro addict

Al, up here it's just "SM." [Smile] Right now there are 16 SM entries for Rose Cup (including mine, I just registered), I think last year there were around 25-30.

We don't have the car counts you guys do in SFR, but we sure have a good time!

--------------------

Shop Teacher

WOW! I just found out its $400. to attend the track day the day before the race. No wonder you guys are coming to Laguna. SFR will let you do per session. I thinks is 50 a session. So i signed up for ITA also.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Enduro addict

Yeah, ProDrive test days are highway robbery, always have been. Glad you're coming out to play in our alphabet soup group, it'll be more fun anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gold Member

A double double will be a lot more fun Al. We just got to get you up to speed as soon as possible. Can't remember if I asked, but do you have data? If so, what do you have?

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Yeah, ProDrive test days are highway robbery, always have been. Glad you're coming out to play in our alphabet soup group, it'll be more fun anyway. [Big Grin]

Yeah, $400 is horribly high; the good news is that almost nobody pays it (I haven't done one in over a year; I'd do it a lot more for $200, like at PR), so it's an almost open track.

Sorry I'll miss you, Al. I was signed up, but something came up. They'll take good care of you.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How do they run those $400 practice days? Is it along the lines of 2 sessions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon or pretty much an open track where you pull on and off when you see fit (minus lunch)?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

Keith, the ones I've been to have been open track, with an hour lunch break. With such an empty track, and the ability to go on and off at will, it's a great opportunity to tune your car, and work on corners.

But at $400 plus another night's hotel, it's generally too pricey for me these days.

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: