Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » The OFFICIAL Rose Cup Thread June 11th-13th (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Rose Cup Thread June 11th-13th
Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
A double double will be a lot more fun Al. We just got to get you up to speed as soon as possible. Can't remember if I asked, but do you have data? If so, what do you have?

-Bruce

I have a Traq Mate

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am still in but may have to bow out if I can't figure out my ignition cut issue.

Kyle

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

is it cutting out?
check electrical cut off switch or electrical harness to coil pack

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tell him about engine ground wires Al...sigh...

Shop Teacher

i didnt want to fix the car for him. just get him looking

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

ok check that engine ground wire on the drivers side. the one that goes from the frame to the cyl head.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Kyle, let us know how we can help. Can you get it to cut when sitting still or does it only happen on track? Al sounds like he may know what he's talking 'bout. [Smile]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Guys,
I will be there Friday morning just before the first session. Please save me a spot in SM land.
Thanks
Eric

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, Mr. Pisano, we got you covered, I think. Haven't actually talked to the paddock marshall yet, but still hoping to today.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kyle Freiheit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Forgot to update this thread. The ignition cut turned out to be... drum roll please... a grounding problem. It was the 2 little grounds on the passengers side that hook to the fuel rail/hoist eye. I did check them originally but just that they were there and they looked tight but upon further inspection they were just a little loose. We are not talking flopping around, we are talking snug. What presume happened is that the ground wires were clocked funnny on the post and although they looked tight and were probably really tight when I put them on, they wiggled and reclocked themselves into a position where they were looser. I tested it in my garage a few times and seems good to go. For posterity I replicated the problem a few times to make sure that was the problem. See you guys this weekend! 80F? Thats just crazy talk.

Gold Member

80F now for both Saturday and Sunday. Al will feel a little cool, but we'll give him a sweater. 20 entries! Would be 30 if all those defectors were all here. Could be 50 if more Conference guys swooped in to steal the win!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the first time I've thought of Portland as getting out of town to some place warm. [boggled]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Goggles Pisano

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Yes, Mr. Pisano, we got you covered, I think. Haven't actually talked to the paddock marshall yet, but still hoping to today.

-b

Thanks Bruce, I intend to be there about 7am.
I'd repay the favor by bringing something for you from Eugene, but we only have hippies.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Loving the looks of the weather this weekend! Really looking forward to spending some time at the track again, havent driven since March [Frown]

Bruce, I got your extinguisher, and i'll be at the track Thursday evening. Are you planning to be there or do you want me to set it in your car if you're not there?

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

All, Dell Bockman, the paddock steward has given us prime real estate in the first row near tech. I know we would prefer to have our normal spot, but this is Rose Cup, so I said thank you sir! Here's the deal, Dudley Redhead, Jim Graffy's crew chief is going to be out there tomorrow at 4pm to setup our area. You could help this process tremendously if you were there at around 4pm to stuff a bunch of vehicles, jackstands and wheels where we will be paddocking. There are some crochety old folks who like to buck the system and take any spots they want. They WILL tear down our construction tape and park where they want. The more equipment we have and the sooner it's there, the better chance we have for keeping our group together. Hopefully we can have all the equipment gone when folks start to show up.

Maybe it would be helpful if you all posted what time you will be arriving.

Thanks,

-Bruce

PS, Mark D, are you still out?

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Jason Rawlins

Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Rawlins     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck this weekend guys! From what I can tell the weather is supposed to be good so you should be able to put on a good show!!

See you at the July race!!

--------------------
Jason
SM #20

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I won't get there until 8-9 Thurs night depending on traffic. I don't have a cap on my truck and an open trailer so if anyone has a little space in their trailer where I can lock my toolbox Fri and Sat night that will be a big help. If not I'll just lug it back to the hotel.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Shop Teacher

i hope to be there Thursday late afternoon. you can store your stuff in my enclosed if you like.
look forward to meeting everyone.
A

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Kyle Freiheit

I will be there thursday afternoon. Whats the track schedule thursday? test day? Track crossing between sessions I assume?

Kyle

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karen sent mail:

quote:
3. THURSDAY is a Pro Drive Test Day. If you are not participating in the Test Day, you may enter the paddock between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Other crossings MAY be available during the day at Pro Drive's discretion. ENTER AT START/FINISH.

4. THURSDAY AFTER 4:00 AND THE REST OF THE WEEKEND, enter at TURN 8 (Broadacre) and follow Security's direction. There is a Motocross going on Thursday evening, so we'll try to dodge that.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to a truly insane work schedule this week, we won't get there until later on Thursday evening. If somebody could pretty-please save me a spot big enough for my little car and a couple EZ-Ups, that would rock.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Kyle Freiheit

I should be able to save a place for you pat.

Goggles Pisano

I have a nearly empty 28' enclosed trailer that can be used for storage. I wont be there 'till early Fri. (maybe late late Thurs. night) Also, if there's going to be a BBQ, I'd like to contribute something. Cash, beer whatever, let me know.
Eric

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
Karen sent mail:

quote:
3. THURSDAY is a Pro Drive Test Day. If you are not participating in the Test Day, you may enter the paddock between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Other crossings MAY be available during the day at Pro Drive's discretion. ENTER AT START/FINISH.

4. THURSDAY AFTER 4:00 AND THE REST OF THE WEEKEND, enter at TURN 8 (Broadacre) and follow Security's direction. There is a Motocross going on Thursday evening, so we'll try to dodge that.

The double secret entry begins today after 4pm for anyone who can make it -- and please bring equipment for saving spaces. For tomorrow, please abide by what was sent by Karen.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

Leanne is going to get there for the double secret track crossing to help reserve my space so if anyone sees her there trying to set up my EZ up, please lend a hand...they're a PITA solo. We have some orange cones and I'll try to think of some extra stuff that will fit in her car to scatter around and make it look like more of us are there than actually are yet.

Looking forward to this weekend! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jim Venable

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sadly the car will not be done so we will not be in attendance. Next year for sure.

Jim
"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Leanne is going to get there for the double secret track crossing to help reserve my space so if anyone sees her there trying to set up my EZ up, please lend a hand...they're a PITA solo. We have some orange cones and I'll try to think of some extra stuff that will fit in her car to scatter around and make it look like more of us are there than actually are yet.

Looking forward to this weekend! [Big Grin]

Dudley and I counted about 26 spaces needed for all of us. Please do what you can to fill that many up in the row next to tech/scales.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best of luck to all of you! I will miss being there but am excited about Thunderhill Monday. 88 degrees and the coolshirt is installed. If I get a chance I will stop by Saturday to see what Keith's malady of the race will be.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

HA! (f'er) [Smile]

Have fun at T-hill. Sounds like a hoot. I'll try to knock more of the rust out of my head this weekend and give you a proper run for your money at the next race.

It was starting to come back to me racing at PR in the treacherous rain. Less "what gear is this corner?, don't forget to breathe, and for God's sake don't hit anything solid!" and more "hanging the back end out is fun!"

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce When's the BBQ? I'm starving!

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce sez the BBQ is Saturday after.the Group 1 race.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone ([cough] Keith) have a spare front rotor for a 1.8 they'd be willing to part with? Mine's developed a healthy crack, and Baxter's doesn't have them in stock.

--------------------

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See, Steve, if you had a 1.6 like everyone else, you wouldn't have any problem getting a spare.

[Smile]

But if I had a 1.6 like everyone else, then how would I motor by the aforementioned everyone else on the straights? [Smile]

--------------------

Gold Member

Congrats to Gary for his two wins this weekend. Also a big congrats to Eric Goggles Pissano Jones for his podium finish and Pat "the Birthday boy" Newton for his first 4th in SM!!!

Also, great having up Al "Shop Teacher" Angulo up for the race. You were in the fray all weekend, and looking like you were having a lot of fun!

Good job all! We really have a lot of heads up folks running these days, no body damage all weekend that I know of.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

Geez Steve. All you had to do is ask. I obviously wasn't using my rotors and I have spares on top of that. I didn't check the site. It was a definate bummer day.

Great weekend guys, even despite the parts that weren't so great for me. It was fun racing and even more fun hanging out with everyone. Good to meet you Al. Look forward to mixing it up again and send me a vid of my piston shooting out my tail pipe!

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pass right

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to say that I was blessed with some AWESOME competition this weekend! I had awesome battles with Darrel, Rick, Al, and Austin.

Was really hoping to get you in the mix too Keith, but obviously your motor had other ideas.....

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Geez Steve. All you had to do is ask.

No worries -- by the time I saw you the next day I'd already procured a rotor from the local Autozone.

Keep us up to date on your motor repairs!

--------------------

Kyle Freiheit

Steve bought a gold plated rotor from autozone.. it didn't look any different but apparently was worth its weight.

Kyle

Fifty bucks for one rotor! NAPA had probably the same rotor minus the gold on sale for $13, but I didn't find out until after I'd asked AutoZone to order the gold-plated one.

--------------------

Shop Teacher

Of course its always scary going to a new track but to add not knowing a sole makes it even harder. Every person that attended the Rose Cup went out of there way to make me feel welcomed. I cant tell you how much I appreciate that. Thanks to all of you for helping me every way from saving me a spot to tips on the track. Many of my fellow SM racers from the SFR have called me to ask how it went, my first reply is I donít have any body work needed on the car. It my not sound like much to you guys but to drive 8 sessions and never even SEE contact is a first for me. During my last race with you guys a actually thought I might make it without being hit. I truly think you guys are a special group of people, If you ever want to come down to the SF region just let me know what I can do to help.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Kyle Freiheit

Al,
It was nice meeting you, We had a blast and can't wait until next year.

I was in 3rd... NOW I AM SEVEN!!!! (or was it eighth?)

Wish I could make it to the double nats in a few weeks.
Kyle

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow... what a weekend. Knowing that it was my last race weekend until 2012, I was really overwhelmed to come home with two trophies- 3rd in ITA on Saturday and 4th in SM yesterday.

I'm so proud of my old jalopy car- despite its $150 Craigslist motor that's been blowing oil out the front crank seal for two years, and despite a bunch of other stuff that's 21-year-old factory original, it makes enough power to at least keep me competitive and it's dead nuts reliable.

Thanks to semi-fresh tires, great alignment/wedge help from Bruce and tire pressure suggestions from Red, the car was pretty well hooked up and all I had to do my drive my heart out.

We had a great time, thank you all! We will see you in two years. If I have time, I am going to prep the car before we leave, so when we return I can just throw it on the trailer and come on down for the August 2012 race at PIR. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Goggles Pisano

What a great weekend! Have you read about what happened at Laguna? Glad I stayed home.
I can't wait to race again, although I may have to miss the next one (undecided)
Pat, you'll be sorely missed. I think you'll like Maryland though. I used to live in D.C. and loved it. Rent a shifter kart and go to Beaverun. Best kart track in the country. Summit Point is okay. VIR rocks.
Eric

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Kyle Freiheit

Eric,
We had some good battles this weekend, can't wait to race with you again..
FYI- You have one of the nicest cars I have ever seen... well done.

Kyle

Goggles Pisano

Yeah Man, good racing!
Thanks for the nice car compliment but, a fast car always looks better than a clean car to me. I like Gary, Bruce, and Ken's cars.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Hereís my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4PTQNghIQ.

--------------------

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve -

I always enjoy your editing. Thanks for sharing. Nice drive and for sure will make Rose Cup next year. I always learn something from watching video from local tracks.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Pass right

Anyone know some free video editing software that is compatible with the go-pro camera? I borrowed one and got all my footage but I cant edit it with Windows Movie Maker [Frown]

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Pack Fodder

I used Movie Maker but I don't have the HD version if that's what you're using.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: