Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Spokanistan video?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Spokanistan video?
Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone have some good video of Spokane County Raceway?

Youtube is sketchy, I found one of Carlo from TC Motorsports, but it's too far back from the windshield. I'd prefer to find something that's good for studying a Spec Miata line.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Brian

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't driven Spokane since 2005. It's too hot now anyway to think of racing there, until September. I have no video of it, but there's lots of video on YouTube.

It's a fun track, except that it has a very, very long straight, which isn't much fun in a Miata.

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure you bring a camelback and fill it with water or gatorade or something. They aren't kidding when they say the straight is long.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone that's raced in Spokane in July...is it crazy hot?

--------------------
Brian

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian,

A bit long for your question but hopefully helpful will be of benefit for others as well.

Don't let the heat keep you away. Some of the closest racing takes place there. Besides you get to air it out on the long straight. Sure it can get a bit on the warm side but then again remember the 100 degree plus record heat last year in the NW. The link below will provide all the weather info you'll need. Iíve also included a line about drinking too much Gatorade.

I no longer race but I do all the wrenching on the car as well as get it to and from the races. Hereís a few tips I utilized when I was racing and still do. If your physical conditioning is fairly good youíll do fine.

Start hydrating yourself with water a week beforehand. Once there keep the intake of fluids going. Go easy on the Gatorade type drinks and soda. Bring plenty of fluids to drink as youíll go through it rather quickly. If you think youíre buying enough, buy more and donít forget the ice. Wear a hat when out of the car. Bring shorts. Use sunscreen and use it again. Youíll stay cooler and your gear will feel more comfortable if youíre not burnt. Bring a shelter. If you donít have one, sit under someone elseís. They wonít mind and youíll make new friends. Eat lightly throughout the day and definitely eat breakfast. Fruit during the day is good and donít over snack on sweets. Youíll be able to pig out during the barbeque which is a good one at the end of the day if you want. Bring coat hangars to air and dry your uniform and underwear which works much better than flopping it over a chair or whatever. Pace yourself and donít hesitate to ask for help from those around you if you need it. You already know theyíll help. Remember you have a long ride home when the racing is over so pace yourself and relax when you can throughout the weekend.

Give yourself plenty of time to get there and watch your gas gage as itís easy to miscalculate just how far you can go before the next town. Take advantage of the rest stops for a stretch. Youíll be more relaxed once you get there which in turn will allow you to more enjoy the racing. Get good directions to the track and where to enter.

Hope this helps. Go, and have a blast.

Jim

http://www.livestrong.com/article/68710-effects-much-gatorade/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/68710-effects-much-gatorade/

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My teachers should would be proud of my opening sentence, wouldn't they? Sounds like I was disoriented from dehydration. [Wink]

I wrote: A bit long for your question but hopefully helpful will be of benefit for others as well.

I apologize. I meant to say: A bit long for your question but hopefully it will be of help and a benefit for others as well.

Jim

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian, only you can decide whether 100 degrees is "too hot." Personally, I have no desire to haul my car five hours to Spokane and spend a weekend broiling, to get 15 minutes of track time with Conference.

I spent a weekend driving there in July once; never again (and that was just lapping, in shorts; I can't imagine being in all my racing gear there in July). I would consider it in September, but it's not even remotely a possibility for me in July.

YMMV

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't drive, but was there for a weekend as crew. Not at all saying I wouldnt go there, as I like the track and plan to visit there sometime soon, just giving a heads up to the heat.

Big warning though, if you take an easy-up, take it down when you're not on track or not at the track. I kid you not, i've seen easy-ups lift off the ground with 300+ pounds of ballast attached to them there.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chump car is in the end of July... We are going to be there with Bruces old Spec Miata with a new front end on it... They are going to chicane the long straight... At those temps am I going to loose tread from the tires quickly? What is the gas consumption at that track for an hour in a Miata?

--------------------
Chris Klein

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: