Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Racing in Utah

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing in Utah
SeanH88

Region: OR
Car #: 88
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I had the opportunity to race an rental SM in Utah this past weekend (Thanks Clark) in their local race series (Miller Professional Race Series) MPRA. It is very similar to an SCCA event except that you run in a group called Small Bore and you run a practice, qualify, qualifying race and main race all in one day. Each weekend is a double which is nice and you get to run with other cars like 944's, BMW's and I think I saw a Boxster.

The facility is absolutely amazing and their are 2 completely different 2.5 mile tracks they use. They have garages for rent, there are restrooms everywhere, timing sheets are posted before your even out of the car and for those watching, the TV's in the garages and spectator areas can be tuned to the AMB channel so you can see live lap times and leader boards.

There was about 16 cars on Saturday and a few less on Sunday. Tyler and the group of guys (minus 1) are a very nice respectful group who will give you room and race you clean.

Some things are a little different than what we are used to as tech and scales are non existent and this was the first weekend that a form of impound (10 minute hold) was used. As the car counts grow and if the drivers want to see some/more enforcement I'm sure it will get phased into place.

I entered the event at the last minute and it was only $340.00 with late fees for the entire weekend.

This is also where NASA is holding their national championship runoffs event in September. NASA uses Mid-Ohio and Miller for their runoffs in 2 year back to back cycles, so this is the last year before it goes back to Mid-O for 2 years.

I tried earlier in the year to work with NASA and Conference to get NASA to count Conference Races towards the requirement to be qualified for the NASA championships and both parties were willing but the Conference rules had already been written and their are some minor differences that needed to be accounted for in the rules. So.... We will work on getting it done for next season and then when it comes back to Utah we should all have the opportunity to qualify at our home tracks for the NASA Championships.

I would say the level of intensity is closer to the Conference experience we are used to as opposed to the SCCA one.

Bottom line it was a ton of fun, beautiful weather, great people and a world class facility all within the same towing distance as T-Hill.

The guy I rented from has 4 cars that are available for a very reasonable price. PM me if you want his name and number.

Thanks!

Sean

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: