Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Transmission Case

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Transmission Case
Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pulled the cleaned used trans off the shelf to install. Upon inspection I noticed a number of areas with spider cracks in and outside the housing area along with more pronounced semi-straight cracks one to one and a half inches in length. None are in the same inside and outside location.

So: Are these normal for a used trans or should I not use it?

In the future should cracks appear in the same location I would think not to use it the same as one wouldn't use a glass. Yes/no?

Thanks,

"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are they really cracks or is it just casting flash marks?all my trans cases have casting flash that looks like cracks or spider web looking lines

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 Freaked me out the first time I saw those. Take a close look at the smooth parts of your oil pan. You'll probably see them there too.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

if you dont have those alignment pins in the engine block you can crack the housing very easy.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pulled two trans to compare. Definite cracks. Upon further inspection one bolt hole is unusable. It must have taken quite a hit.

Thanks for the help.

"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: