Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » July 4th Portland Double National (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: July 4th Portland Double National
PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where is everybody? For the longest time MotorsportReg.com have an entry list posted at all, and now that it does, there are only five people signed up for Spec Miata. Is anyone else planning to go?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mr. Bank account sez "No racing for you" this month. [Frown] But I'll be there corner-working and back racing again in August. [Smile]

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm signed up. But I'll probably un-sign if only five people are coming....

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in. No un-signing here.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gary, Ken, and even Will are going to be racing. We're not going to get 25 for this race since there's a lot of new folks who don't have their National status yet. Robert's car was damaged at Laguna, so this may be the smallest field we've had in a long time.

But we will have the BBQ and there will be racing going on, so please come race with us. I shouldn't be using up my equipment on a National race and focusing on my regional points run, but one of my rules is to never miss a race that your competitors will be running during a season. I learned during my 3 years in karting league that if I missed one week, I was way behind the next week. Thus, my number one rule is seat time during a season is more important than career seat time!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry guys, I'm out of town.

Kyle

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had scheduled to race this weekend earlier in the year before realizing it was a National event only. Why only a national event? What is the draw or incentive?

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It helps those hoping to qualify for the Runoffs. And some people only run nationals. But I agree -- from my perspective, it's less attractive than a regional / national combo or a double regional.

--------------------

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hope there's more than five or it will be a ho-hum session for flagging. Unless Keith's entered, then I'm sure there'll be a surface flag. [Razz] [duck]

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
It helps those hoping to qualify for the Runoffs. And some people only run nationals. But I agree -- from my perspective, it's less attractive than a regional / national combo or a double regional.

Steve,

There's also contingency money from Toyo for nationals for the first 8 places. So sign up and you may relieve a little financial stress [Smile]

fyi: this is the only double weekend(and only chicane race) at PIR until October so if you want a double this is it for awhile. Hopefully we will see more people sign up.

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
Mr. Bank account sez "No racing for you" this month. [Frown]

Mine says the same thing [Roll Eyes] ...but what the heck, you only live once [Big Grin] I'm in [yep]

Tom

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in, regional and national both. Motor's losing power on the bottom end but so what, it's fun!

See you there.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by W. Bonsell:
I had scheduled to race this weekend earlier in the year before realizing it was a National event only. Why only a national event? What is the draw or incentive?

Bill

Well, not sure why, but it doesn't help with SM turnout as there are quite a few folks without the qualifications this year. Other than costing a few more bucks, it's like a regional race though... much driving and a little drinking...

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
I'm in, regional and national both.

We'll all be watching you in that regional. [Wink]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Regional, national, whatever. I'm not looking for points like Bruce, I'm just out to have fun and learn how to drive. Besides, if only 8 people enter I get money back. If 9 enter I'm out of the money but still having fun. That is, unless Keith shows up then I'm still in the money. Just kidding Keith, sorry your motor exploded. Hope you get it fixed by next weekend. I need someone to race with.

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Oh yes, I forgot. The regional experience was last week when I went farming out of turn 6 at Thunderhill. 75 mph backwards for a special regional view of the track that few get. What a dirt cloud!

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

Did you meet any freindly bovine Terrell?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rose cup left me broke, so i'm pretty much done racing for the time being. Had the time of my life though, will be out Sunday to see everyone!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have everything but rings. They're backordered at Mazda. They're off the boat but haven't reached the warehouse yet. They're either backordered or not available at any local parts store. I think somewhere a Somali pirate is holding the world's supply of 1.8 rings for ransom.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

There's still a pretty healthy Race Engineering motor in Doug's garage with your name on it if that's the difference between you racing and sitting out a second straight weekend...

--------------------

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah Keith, use Steve's motor or get an engine from Pat Newton's engine builder (some Japanese guy in Hiroshima, Japan). [Big Grin]

Gold Member

Go Keith go.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to sleep on this. I really want to race. Borrowing the cam was one thing.

BTW- Thanks Terrell for not rubbing it in about the big bang. I know we both raz each other in good fun. I don't know everyone else sees the "in good fun" part but they don't all paddock with us.

If you are planning on racing, I think you need a national license and I thought you hadn't changed yours so better check that.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
Yeah Keith, use Steve's motor or get an engine from Pat Newton's engine builder (some Japanese guy in Hiroshima, Japan). [Big Grin]

I swear by those guys. Started racing with 100K miles on the car and original motor, it lasted about 20 weekends before spinning a rod bearing.

Replaced it with the now-famous $150 Craigslist engine that was advertised as having 100K on it, and that one has gone 19 more weekends without a hiccup. I've put more than 8,000 race miles on the car over the past eight seasons.

Them factory dudes know how to build a bottom end. [yep]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I have to sleep on this. I really want to race. Borrowing the cam was one thing.

The motor's just been sitting at Doug's collecting dust for more than a year. It last dynoed less than a horse down from my current motor. Come on, you know you want to.  -  -

--------------------

Gold Member

No biggie to get National status as long as you have finished 4 races in the last year. Let me know if you need help with that, or just call SCCA and I'm sure they'll help you figure it out.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Randy Thieme

quote:
That is, unless Keith shows up then I'm still in the money. Just kidding Keith, sorry your motor exploded. Hope you get it fixed by next weekend. I need someone to race with.

Better watch out Terrell. Last weekend Keith was putting down some of his fastest laps before his #4 connecting rod decided to march to the beat of a different drummer.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Keith, I do have a national license. Thankfully they do not issue them on the basis of ability but rather on the basis of tenacity.

While I'm still coughing and laughing about the mosquito fogging event last year, losing an engine doesn't go into the humor category. It goes into the "catastrophy" category. Financially it is a big hit and in the current economy is not welcome. I enjoy "Calamity" Keith where if you follow him long enough something funny will happen. So next race don't forget to overfill your oil or better yet let's practice going side by side in 10. Maybe this time my electrical will cooperate and we can actually do it.

Get off the fence, appreciate the fact that these guys are nice enough to loan you an engine. Slap that puppy in there and let's go have fun! Isn't that what this is all about.

Regarding everyone else: If they can't understand good natured humour in this economy it's probably because they are busy jumping off a building.

Despite all this, I'm still going to beat you. (insert smart a!? reply here)

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

Yes Keith, the whole loaning parts and cars is pretty common. Even my "friend" Sean loaned his car to Gary so he could beat me on the last lap of both Rose Cup races... Where's the nearest tall building?

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

I'll call Doug and see if he's around.

Terrell... We could be in for a really tight race. One of us could have a really good day and go faster or a really bad day and go slower, but otherwise it will probably be a matter of who makes the fewest mistakes. [yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

So quit making excuses and get out there and prove me wrong. I'm still going to beat you.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Well now that I have an engine to put in for next weekend (Thanks Steve!) I pulled the motor in record time.

Was it that I have the technique down now?

Was it that I have special tools that make the job easier?

Or was it just the motivational poster that I like to call...Taking Out the Garbage Man?

-

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Funny, but very, very cold. The picture was good for added effect. However, let us refer to the last time we were at the same race: SAME CAR, SAME TRACK, SAME DAY, YOU WERE 1.25 SECONDS SLOWER!

Despite the trash talk, you are probably right that it can go either way. That's why I issued the challenge. Right now, there is no one registered who I have a remote chance of racing with. These guys are much faster than us. Therefore, a little ribbing and I get someone to play with. Objective accomplished.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

True enough. You were faster. Rose Cup though when you were off plowing the fields at T-hill I did a little better. More than 1.5 faster, solid consistant laps one on top of another that showed me where I can go even faster when the other ball drops.

Drop a wheel my friend and you'll be the one chasing...again. [Smile]

I only wish I didn't have so much work to do this week or I'd challange you to a chili cook off and kick your ass on two fronts in one weekend.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Chili cook-off?! You both lose! Let's give Bruce a break from BBQ'ng. The last SCCA race at PIR lets have a chili cook-off instead for bragging rights.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

The problem is that at least my chili is too hot for most of the folks. Although, that might be a good strategy to see the front-runners coming into the hot pits mid-race for a quick trip to the toilet.

I do like the idea of taking some of the burden off of Bruce. Maybe we should cook and then feed a few of them chocolate Ex-Lax cake. I guess my dad got my mom to do that to his fraternity once. He still laughs about it. Oops, let the cat out of the bag.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Doesn't have to be the last race weekend but some weekend. For that matter a batch of my jalapeno cheese cornbread seems in order too. Chili, chips, cornbread, salad, veggies, etc. (And no food pranks Terrell [Smile] )

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Well now that I have an engine to put in for next weekend (Thanks Steve!) I pulled the motor in record time.

Was it that I have the technique down now?

Was it that I have special tools that make the job easier?

Or was it just the motivational poster that I like to call...Taking Out the Garbage Man?

-

So thats what it looks like running

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
So thats what it looks like running

OH SNAP

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Gold Member

I don't care what Ken, Will and Gary say about yous new guys -- You sure not how to talk the smack!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Randy Thieme

Oh uh. Now Shop Teacher's razzin' us. Guess that means he's going to come up here and race with us again next season. [Smile]

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not only will i come, im going to bring friends. its going to be a southern invasion. oh and a bigger motor for those long straights.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Gold Member

Yeah, Al was sizing up the field and probably sand bagging, so you guys better be getting faster soon, cuz we got some honor to defend come next year!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce, are we going to have a Spec Miata ghetto this weekend, small as it may be? I'm doing my first (and probably last, considering the price tag) PIR test day on Thursday, and would be happy to help set up.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

I just got an e-mail from Karen that someone yet one more time stole my number. After all the crap last year having to change numbers three times it looks like it is starting again. Maybe they will just issue me an LED display so I can change it for every race.

Seriously, I don't know who it is yet but I think it's crappy. You only have about 70 to choose from that aren't already reserved. Find your own number and leave mine alone.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Terrell,

It may be an out-of-town guest. I don't think we have any new drivers.

Pack Fodder

Sorry Terrell. One of the 8's fell off my car.

[duck] JK... That is a PITA. I just went in to register and make sure my number isn't taken. Is it too late to register on-line or something? Motorsportreg doesn't have a link to click for this weekend.

Also, are we group 1 or 11? The schedule has me confused the way the group listings are combined but most of the sessions aren't.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

Keith, as I read the schedule, SM is in Group 1 for the first national race, and Group 11 for the second national race.

Lots of down time this weekend; hopefully, the weather will cooperate, and we'll all be able to be together in the paddock.

Veteran Member

quote:
I just got an e-mail from Karen that someone yet one more time stole my number. After all the crap last year having to change numbers three times it looks like it is starting again. Maybe they will just issue me an LED display so I can change it for every race.

Seriously, I don't know who it is yet but I think it's crappy. You only have about 70 to choose from that aren't already reserved. Find your own number and leave mine alone.

Terrell, if you want to keep a number, I think you'll have to pay the $15 or whatever nominal sum it is to become a dual member, since they'll only reserve numbers for Oregon Region members (just as NWR only reserves numbers for NWR members). They'll happily help you at registration (I'm a dual member).

Karen is a gem, and will do whatever she can to help you get a permanent, reserved number.

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: