Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » July 4th Portland Double National (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: July 4th Portland Double National
Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell,

The website shows you're still the reserved owner of #8 for both SM and ITA. While the website was last updated late February they wouldn't change it for someone who's actively racing. Sure you didn't register for a different class or run group by mistake?

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, what's a dual member? All I know is that the website shows me as #8 for both SM and ITA. I applied for it and was given it. I did the same last year for three different numbers and finally thought I had it fixed. I don't understand what's going on but this isn't the first time so I am a little sensitive.

I agree that Karen is amazingly cool and I appreciate all that she does for us.

If you look at Motorsportreg.com there are four cars registered as #8: American Sedan, Formula Atlantic, Spec Racer Ford, and Showroom Stock C. None in Spec Miata. Does that mean we have been combined with some other group? I thought we ran by ourselves. Either way, I'm confused.

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since Keith hasn't registered yet I'm going to change my number to 88 and put the turd in his pocket. Just kidding!

--------------------
terrell garrett

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
Does that mean we have been combined with some other group? I thought we ran by ourselves. Either way, I'm confused.

Yes, we are combined with T2, T3, AS, GTL, SSB, SSC, EP, FP, STO, HP and STU.

That happens in national weekends; there's always a lot of tooth-knashing at the NWR double national over Memorial Day weekend for the same reason--combining classes.

Vote early and often to get your number.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Ok, I understand but don't have to like it. In fact, I purposely mainly run SM so I don't have to worry about large variations in track speed.

Messing around at T-hill a few weeks ago my friend with his 1,000 hp car came out of nowhere in T3 and rattled me. No mistakes or problems but one second no one is behind me and the next there's a fire-breathing dragon on my tailpipe that out weighs me by 1,500 pounds. Running disparate cars can be a recipe for badness. It's disparate enough when considering me versus Ken, Will, Gary, Bruce . . . (basically the rest of the field except Keith and Randy).

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
(basically the rest of the field except Keith and Randy).
Ouch!

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell, they're pretty careful to make run groups where there aren't the large variations on speed. Don't worry about that in this run group.

In fact, having cars of similar speed can be more of a problem, such as a Spec Miata trying to pass a poorly-driven Porsche 944, who just motors by on every straight and puts out an anchor on every turn.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Mark, so it's kind of like ITA which isn't so bad except for that red 944.

Keith, please remember that I placed myself in that category with you. Ouch on me too!

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Sorry, I meant Randy.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know how the number chaos works in Nats weekends, but for regionals, if you have the reserved number, it's only reserved if you register at least 10 days prior to the race. After that it's up for grabs.

Considering you can pre-register without paying, it's probably good to always pre-register early if you have any thought of racing and want to keep your number (a concept that I forget over and over but nobody takes my number.)

I picked my number because I could reserve it in both ITA and SM for NWR and OR. For conference I have to have a 3 digit number to show I'm a dork or something.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Yeah, I wanted to go with a classic meatball background for my car number, but it was too hard to make it work if I also needed a three digit number for racing with Conference.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At Rose Cup, I think the Viper was in STU. Cindy Lux was driving it though and did not have an issue playing nicely with others. She'd follow through the twisty bits and wait until the next straight to blow our doors off.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's Conference? [Smile]

BBQ will be Saturday around noon.

SM Ghetto, I like it. That would be great Mark. I'll try to get the traffic cones out to you in Thursday morning, so we can mark off our spots.

I was really hoping to get the numbers for this weekend, so we could make an argument for dedicated National rungroups going forward, but just too many damaged cars and folks without the prerequisite races this time.

Thanks,

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Pack Fodder

quote:
Mark, so it's kind of like ITA which isn't so bad except for that red 944.

There are a couple red 944s (like red miatas) but I know exactly which car is THAT red 944. I don't know his number but I sure as hell know the car. He's contributed to the majority of my scariest moments this year.

Either he has no clue people are beside him, or he just doesn't care. I'll buy him mirrors myself if it will help but the next time he slams the door hard on me when I'm cleanly alongside him or I have to check up hard to avoid being pinched into a concrete wall, he and I are going to have a talk. [Mad]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Faded orangey-red 944?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, looks like it should be good racing this weekend. Work allowing, I might drop by on Saturday to spectate or even crew for anybody who needs help.

One question: Are the SM races in Saturday's Group 1 and Sunday's Group 11? Just need to clarify. Thanks.

Pack Fodder

I know the car you're thinking of Steve, but starting a few rows up from me, probably the same scenario with a different car. I'm pretty sure the one Terrell and I are thinking of is a pure red.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

In fact, there are a bunch of "new" 944's this year. At the NWR Memorial Day double, I was astounded at the slew of horribly slow 944's bollixing up qualifying.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Actually, I haven't had a real problem in ITA except the red 944 that blew a radiator in front of me in T12 during a race. He was using antifreeze and I had to go into the hot pits and get Red to clean my windshield so I could go back out on track. Cost me a lap. He wasn't too bad to drive around, but then again not fantastic either. Not that I'm that great either. I'm still trying to figure out how to drive around people in certain corners without causing an accident. Especially in T7 when someone dive bombs me. I have to anchor the brakes to keep from hitting them and that ruins the back stretch. I welcome comments on how to handle that situation (1) without rear-ending them and (2) being able to re-pass them. Maybe the patented Ken Sutherland T2 bumper push method would work.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
Are the SM races in Saturday's Group 1 and Sunday's Group 11?

Yep.

quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how to drive around people in certain corners without causing an accident. Especially in T7 when someone dive bombs me. I have to anchor the brakes to keep from hitting them and that ruins the back stretch. I welcome comments on how to handle that situation (1) without rear-ending them and (2) being able to re-pass them.

Just hold your position beside them so that they have to exit T7 tight. Assuming they're also in an SM, you'll get them by the end of the straight since they'll have taken a tighter radius in T7, and will thus have carried less speed into the straight.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4PTQNghIQ#t=1m58s

--------------------

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Do I get a refund if they slide into me?

--------------------
terrell garrett

Dudley Redhead

Car #: 01
SMIM: 2009 Ore. Region Crew Chief of the Year 2010 Ore. Region ITA Champion
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, I will be at the track early Thursday morning. I will be happy to help you on the test day.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Veteran Member

Thanks!

quote:
Do I get a refund if they slide into me?

That's the day when you cease to be a boy and become a man. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Heh heh... it's called "racecraft," Terrell. It's fun once you've got it, and the "getting it" part is fun too. It's extremely important in SM, especially when we're in a mixed group with the aforementioned 944s and whatnot.

After taking something like 80-90 green flags since 2003, I'd still only give myself a 6 out of 10 on the racecraft scale. It's an art... [yep] [Smile]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Pack Fodder

Tell you what Terrell... Since we should have plenty of time between and after races this weekend, in the spirit of good sportsmanship I'll be glad to sit down with you and explain why you had such great trouble making passes stick on me and why I made it look so easy passing you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Cold, just damn cold. Well it appears the shoe is on the other foot now. Keith just woke up and decided to get serious about trash talk.

While you are talking about your illustrious passing skills maybe we can extend the conversation to include how quickly thereafter you have a propensity to drive on the grass?

My issue on passing is that I have not been very aggressive with it. I don't feel that I have enough seat time to really push it and am concerned that if I make a mistake (which I consistently do) that I may cause an accident. In contradiction to that statement I have been quite aggressive during race starts lately until my lack of racecraft kicks in. I gain 2 to 4 spots on the start and then lose half of it coming out of T6. Racecraft is the issue. That comes with race time and eventually I will get there.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Now Terrell, I thought Keith was being right neighborly in offering to sit down for a spell (spoken with a cowboy drawl).

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Y'all go sit down yonder for a spell and git'r done.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

is English still taught in Oregon

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Gold Member

At least we use capitaluation and punctionation! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Cold, just damn cold. Well it appears the shoe is on the other foot now. Keith just woke up and decided to get serious about trash talk.

While you are talking about your illustrious passing skills maybe we can extend the conversation to include how quickly thereafter you have a propensity to drive on the grass?

My issue on passing is that I have not been very aggressive with it. I don't feel that I have enough seat time to really push it and am concerned that if I make a mistake (which I consistently do) that I may cause an accident. In contradiction to that statement I have been quite aggressive during race starts lately until my lack of racecraft kicks in. I gain 2 to 4 spots on the start and then lose half of it coming out of T6. Racecraft is the issue. That comes with race time and eventually I will get there.

You may want to try a passing exercise on a practice or track day, (an open part of the track). You and 1 or 2 others. The leader gets passed at every turn (lift a bit) and then trys the crossover to get back to the lead. Different passing lines and Racecraft is developed.

I think there's a video around at TH from last year of this.
J~

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Johnny, that's a very good idea. And from a "Californian" no less. Up here in Orygon we don't cotton so much to those "prune pickers" from the South. However, we sure would like to import a couple of your tracks, especially Thunderhill and Laguna. I guess we'll give you partial Orygon status.

Well Keith, put your money where your mouth is and let's do it during practice tomorrow morning when nobody is around us. There will be a lot of room on the track and it will be fun. Despite your self-professed skill level you might even get something out of it. Worst case, it will make me more competitive with you which will make the race more interesting. We could do a hand signal to let each other know in which corner to pass. There are only 11 cars entered but I don't see your entry.

Also, what ever happened to the idea us buying radios and trash talking each other on the track?

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

You guys should buys some boat bumpers and have at it...

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

I have radios. We need to get the harness stuff for your car.

We can definately use the practice session to practice. I think that's allowed. I'm just yanking your chain about the passing but many failed and some successful passing have taught me a couple things about what works, what doesn't, and what works until you drive off into the grass. Plus changing my mirror setup, I don't have to leave 4 car widths between me and the guy beside me knowing they're there somewhere but not knowing where. Plus there was the Al Angulo school of blocking... You can see how someone figured out you can stuff a V8 in a Miata after seeing Al's car get 30' wide down the straights. [Smile]

Having a little melt down today BTW. Somehow unscrewing the drain plug on my Koyo last night, at least half the threads stripped. It may hold but if someone has any sort of they can bring just in case... I'd take the day off work but there's a major mess at work. I may be loading up the trailer tonight and hitting the road really really early tomorrow morning.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

You left out the important part -- do you another plug, or another radiator?

--------------------

Pack Fodder

I know the plug is buggered. It came half way out, then just started spinning. I can't see up into the threads in the radiator well enough. I'm concerned it will hold water just fine until half way through a session. I actually still have the stock radiator but I donated the mounting brackets to a good cause. Who knew...

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Which plug Keith, Koyo makes two. Is it plastic or aluminum?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

It's the aluminum Koyo.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

If we can't find a radiator in our spares, you'll be able to buy one where I got the one for my m3 -- at http://www.radiator.com, or we can get yours fixed. I'll look in my parts later this afternoon.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Randy Thieme

Keith, I have one of the large stock radiators for cars with autotrannies. Your welcome to it and I can bring Friday.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Keith, call me at (503) 793-9238 and we can figure out how to fix your radiator and get the radios running. This might be fun. Worst case scenario I have a tap and die set. We can go to Parkrose Hardware and get the next sized metric (farmer mentality, get a bigger hammer and beat in the next larger sized bolt).

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Make sure it's not a tapered thread (e.g. pipe thread). And it may not be metric either.

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
is English still taught in Oregon

That's Orygun.

Veteran Member

Keith, I have a spare thin Koyo, including drain plug, that you can borrow for the weekend, as long as I have it back after the race (either at the track, or you can bring it to my house.

Pack Fodder

Thanks guys! I might need someone to wake me up tomorrow in pregrid but I found a temporary fix.

The threads in the radiator are fine. The plug is long enough that I temporarily fixed the problem by using one of the leftover aluminum bushing from my Bilsteins as a spacer to get to the good threads on the plug. It fits perfectly into the recess for the plug and the plug fits perfectly in the hole. Just moved the rubber washer. I wouldn't keep it that way permanantly but right now it holds.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pack Fodder

Shit...slept through my alarm at 3am but I'll stil be there.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Keith won and was the better driver in the first race at least until I had three plug wires fall off my coils at once. Of course, the next lap he took his car to the spa for a mud treatment.

Great racing and multiple passes on each other. Tomorrows another day. We will see who is better then.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Unfortunately with my qualifying position, I'm either the row behind or there's a row between us at the start. A FP TR6 and a EP Fiero. I have no idea what either of them will do but I'm pretty sure I can't pull either one hard. Either I'm going to have to pull all 4 spark plug wires this time or hope that Civic rams me at the start again to give me some boost. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

You will have to fight for it. I lost this morning and need to even it up. No back straight lift for you tomorrow. Besides, we cannot trash talk each other unless we are even. Oh yes, did I hear something about 1 1/2 seconds faster in qualifying?

--------------------
terrell garrett

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: