Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » July 4th Portland Double National (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: July 4th Portland Double National
terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gotcha! Now we are even. I assume you are coming for August. Let the trash talk begin!

--------------------
terrell garrett

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A Washington State Patrol trooper asked me to pass along that it's illegal for a truck towing a trailer to occupy the leftmost lane on a highway with three or more lanes. [nope]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
A Washington State Patrol trooper asked me to pass along that it's illegal for a truck towing a trailer to occupy the leftmost lane on a highway with three or more lanes. [nope]

[Smash]
[rolling on floor laughin]

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve, did he give you something with which to remember that piece of information?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dodged that bullet. I was passing up a hill where everyone was mysteriously going way too slow until I saw J.Q. Law tracking me with the laser as I motored up the left lane. Fortunately he didn't remind me of the same thing.

Terrell...I think we need kill marks on our cars like fighter planes. You can put little silver 88s on your car and I'll put little smears of blue paint on mine. It was a blast bud!

More than anything though I'm continually blown away by the people in the SM ghetto. I coudn't have been there without Steve's motor. Probably wouldn't have lasted long without Marks drain plug. Coudn't have got the car to turn without Red's help with pressures and Will's adjustment tweak, and most likely woudln't have make it even that long without everyones' moral support.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
Steve, did he give you something with which to remember that piece of information?

Amazingly, no, despite the fact that I didn't have proof of insurance on me either. I reckon that on this July 4th weekend, he was really after DUIs more than random speeders.

--------------------

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who left their Piloti shoes in the Ghetto? Ken has them in his trailer until the righful owner can be located. To claim them you will be required to identify the fragrance of the nomex sock that was stuffed inside one of the shoes [Smile]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

My video's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384lRE3upqo

Why am I the only person who's posting video? You fast guys need to post some so that we can learn your secrets. [Smile]

--------------------

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed watching myself in your rear view mirror for all of two laps.

That start was frustrating. The guy in the yellow triumph lined up on the wrong side, placing me one row back. Then he cut me off in T3. Robert came back on track right in my flight path, allowing the triumph to get around and cut me off a few more times. I was very happy when he went DNF. That was the first time I have gotten mad in a race.

Sorry about that mess in T6 on the last lap. The pack was too close to wait until T7 so I went wide on T6 and waved everybody around. Unfortunately Ken misunderstood and lost about 1/2 a second lining up behind me while I was at no throttle waving him by. Next time I'll drive off in the grass and let everyone by. Or maybe, I'll just drive faster and the last lap situation won't happen.

Keith, lot's of fun. August is going to be a blast. Randy's getting faster and we might just have a three-way dogfight going. Even though we are slow, we can have fun.

Sorry about Ken and Bruce's cars. Watching Ken flying off that tire wall was not a fun sight. I'm glad he's ok. I hit that hole a few laps earlier and just flat got lucky. Hopefully Ken can complete the repairs before August.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:

Amazingly, no, despite the fact that I didn't have proof of insurance on me either. I reckon that on this July 4th weekend, he was really after DUIs more than random speeders.
So he was looking for DUI and not HUI

On my trip down to Laguna last month a similar thing happened to me. I am in the fast lane doing 65 with the trailer and a motorcycle cop makes strong motions for me to move over 2 lanes. Luckily he just sped off after I moved over.

It was a great weekend racing.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Those are my shoes. I guess I was in a hurry to try and make the track crossing.

Agreed Terrell. It was a blast. I don't think we helped each other in qualifying having our own personal race but neither of us were going to be up front so it was worth it. I was kind of hoping that yellow bug eyed sprite would hold you up long enough that I could get by the white Triumph and race you again. I wound up racing him hard trying to get clear so I could catch you guys, then the gap got too big so my race turned into, "Beat the guy who kept me from racing T...and that MR2 just for good measure" [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:
So he was looking for DUI and not HUI

That pun was terrible.  - [Big Grin]

--------------------

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Just curious, did you stay in the leftmost lane in an attempt to confirm the law? [Wink]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
My video's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384lRE3upqo

Why am I the only person who's posting video? You fast guys need to post some so that we can learn your secrets. [Smile]

Apparently our secret is taking a shortcut through the point. Warning, could cause a rash to appear on the side of car [Frown]

I'll post later today. I'll try to find the fast lap for you, you'll be amazed at the level of driving that was happening in the second race. It was very intense, and that is the best secret right there. Ken and Will step up their game immensely during these national races and I always learn a lot watching the battle. Gary? well he just got lucky in both races, but he did put himself in the position to win and that is at least half the battle in SM.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Gold Member

Here's not what to do. I can count a bunch of mistakes by both Will and I all in a couple laps. The last one is a critical error...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAb_vNCe9tg

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

I'm glad you did'nt include the previous lap. I was praying the freight train didn't catch me in the festivals so I could let everyone go by between 3 and 4 or just hug the outside of 4. For most of the straight I thought you guys weren't closing on me fast enough to catch me there . Half caught me going in...the other half aught me coming out. I was just doing my best to stay out of the way.

When either Will or Gary went half off sideways in 2, whatever game plan I had to stay out of peoples' way went out the window. I see Ken passing me on the inside and was going to angle outside to make as much room as I could and I look left and ACK! Bruce. Kinda rattled me for a second.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Keith, you did great!!!

I had to thread the needle there a bit, so I hope I didn't spook you too much. I guess I had seen so many close calls by then in that race, I didn't make much of it. But my appologies if I came to close for your comfort.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

Nah, it was just one of those moments when you turn to look and get startled. I was making sure I gave Ken enough room so he didn't have to use the curbing. When I checked rear you were probably in the blind spot behind my head and I figured you were behind Ken. I did look first though. [Smile]

Aside from the fun with Terrell, those races definately improved my spatial awareness. Entering T4 bunched up with several cars all with different strenghts and weaknesses keeps you on your toes. Many mental calculations involved to wait for the GTL to pass before avoiding the Camaro with the tail end hanging out, knowing the Viper is going to box 7 and wait a few seconds before zooming away, meanwhile a car I'm racing is using those cars for a pick... And the only contact was getting rammed by a Civic before the green flag dropped.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

jatterbu Verified Driver

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who wrecked into the tires at T12? I thought I saw that it was a picture of Ken's car getting into the tires.

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Bruce caught the tires with his left rear corner, and Ken got them with his whole left side. [Frown]

--------------------

Pack Fodder

Several of us learned a new term over the weekend. We heard over the PA that the next race was delayed for tire banding and everyone was asking what the heck that meant. Apparently it's when they have to rebuild the tire wall.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the creature from the t7 bog:

http://photos.dbpics.com/p465224745/h5d48934#hf5a662f

and the creature in the t7 bog:

http://photos.dbpics.com/p465224745/ef5a662f#h516521c

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, that's an impressive amount of dirt and mud you seemed to have collected. Not sure I have seen a race car look so much like a rally car. But, you know at least you were there hammerin' right? Hoping to join the PIR fun in September. Will be at PR with Conference the end of July...and Bremerton end of August. Hope to see ya....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was working T6. When a corner worker on comm (radio) has to announce something really bad, like an especially hard hit, it's prefaced with the word "Alert" to get everyone's attention. Kind of sickening when they announce an alert for 68 blue and then a short while later another alert for 94 silver, and you know both drivers.

Pack Fodder

Yeah my rally detour was a mess. Major understeer meets big mud hole.

I need to read up on suspension tuning and work on my setup. I explained what my car was doing, Will tweaked my wedge in about 1 minute and drastically less push plus more settled in 6. I don't even really know what wedge is other than it doesn't take much to completely change the handling. I asked him what it does. Answer...it changes the handling. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, read your post fast and thought it said there was major understeer IN the mud hole.

Any word from Ken on how he's feeling? Someone told me he was feeling rather sore after Sunday's race.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

Ken appeared okay when he was driving Lori around the field in his 2 seater Gokart, and running from stray fireworks [Smile] My soreness left sometime after about the 3rd drink.

Thanks Hans!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

The photographer caught much of the crashes in T12 too starting here...

http://photos.dbpics.com/p459310888/hf17f13d#h1207fb9d

Violent stuff T12 and that side of Ken's car were cursed.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

First few laps of race #2 from my perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlqYHecvzo

...up until the point where I ran out of talent.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: