Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Engine Autopsy Results

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Engine Autopsy Results
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I pulled apart what was left of the bottom end after Rose Cup and the damage was impressive. The whole #4 piston and connecting rod literally exploded. It's not like 3 or 4 pieces. It's shards of metal with some recognizable chunks left.

At first I didn't think I'd be able to figure out what broke first considering how mangled everything is but I found a clue. I found one of the bolts that hold the connecting rod to the crankshaft in the debris. Bent but not broken and all the threads are intact. Then I found the nut that goes with it. The first two threads are stripped. It looks like the bolt loosened up, then ripped out the last two threads, then the piston exploded.

What could be the really bad news is that it looks like the piston hit the combustion chamber, denting the aluminum all around the edges, there's shiny spots on the valves of #4 so they probably got hit, and there are shards of metal in 1-3 also so the big bang may have destroyed my shiny new head too. [Frown]

Steve...if you want to sell that motor I borrowed, give some thought to how much. Right now I don't have a number in my head myself.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear about your motor Keith. Just out of curiosity, how many miles on the motor and were there any tell tale signs of impending doom?
As the owner of a 122k motor, I am wondering as to the likely hood of its' similar demise...or is it just simply a crap shoot? And is there anything you might have been able to do more in the way of a preventative nature having seen the internals?

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith if it helps i lost my engine at Infineon this week. I dont know what happen just yet but sounds like i lost the lower end also. I have a Sunbelt going in. I was going to save it for the next Rose Cup but i need to finish the season. I have been showing the new motor my Rose Cup videos and it feels it will have no problems taking you guys. I have about 4 other friends that want to race the Rose Cup next year so far but expect more. I was surprised to hear that you had that much damage when you were only going a blistering 30mph.
A

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It'll be good to have you up again Al. Good times. Sorry to hear about your motor too. I know how it goes. [Smile] I need to find a time to head down there and try out some of your tracks too.

Bill- your motor is probably fine. I think mine was built late on a Friday afternoon. I found several parts that didn't seem to have been torqued down so I'm thinking the connecting rod was another one that was missed. There were less than 20 hrs on the bottom end. At 120+ miles, if something was loose in the engine you'd know it by now.

No warning signs really. Ask anyone who talked to me that weekend and I was really happy with the bunny stomping, baby seal clubbing power (for a Miata at least). The only sign was when we went full yellow I dropped the RPMs, it coughed a couple times then popped. Temp was fine, oil pressure fine, then flat line.

I changed the oil, filter and plugs after every race, changed the oil cooler after my replacement head died (spendy part), broke the engine in properly. What I probably should have done while I had the engine out was tear down the bottom end, inspect and reassemble everything. When you have the motor already out and mostly disassembled it's really pretty easy and much cheaper than a new engine.

I wouldn't worry about yours doing something similar. You could do a leak down test and try talking you son into refreshing the bottom end but otherwise drive it like you stole it. I think Pat's motor had many more miles than that on it when he bought it and the thing just goes faster.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The only sign was when we went full yellow I dropped the RPMs, it coughed a couple times then popped.

That sounds about right most rod caps pop on deceleration. Load is against caps on deceleration against rod on acceleration.

AL,
If not for bad luck Well you know the rest. I lost a motor at Infineon 3 years ago The track seems to be hard on motors.

Dennis

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Seems to me when i built one of these engines i had to look twice at the rod torque spec. i think it was around 18-20 lbs seem low to me. But i went with it. Any time you guys want to come down just drop me a line, you can stay with us. We are 1.5hrs from Thunder Hill and Infineon but 4hrs to Laguna.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
i think it was around 18-20 lbs seem low to me. But i went with it.

Al,
I hope your remebering wrong. Per FSM it is 37-40 Ft Lbs.

Dennis

Pack Fodder

Well that explains Al's motor at Infineon. [duck]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pack Fodder

#4...minus the parts embedded in Al's nice paint job

-

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't see anything wrong?

[duck]

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

J. Douglas

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 72
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for J. Douglas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After one of my buddys blew up his air race motor he said you could check the oil with your fist now.
There are parts in there that should be in the dark. Windowed the block. Big dollars in the game.
Jerry

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Didn't you notice a loss of power after a lap or two?

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That will buff out.

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith... Don't toss the head!!! It may never be a Spec Miata head, but Jeff can do wonders... It my be a good endurance motor head...

--------------------
Chris Klein

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
#4...minus the parts embedded in Al's nice paint job

-

Wow!
From the looks of that, I suspected worse in the head [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Chris Klein

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah... weil... Go easy on the chump motor... ok Keith! [Smile]

--------------------
Chris Klein

Pack Fodder

Chris- I'll make you a deal. I'll make sure to not blow the motor if you make sure your welds hold so the front of the car doesn't fall off. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Chris Klein

Fall off??? This is the first articulating Shark Miata! So when the whole nose point left and right you're ok

--------------------
Chris Klein

Chris Klein

Check out the pictures on Facebook... There is a sleve welded inside the frame, and then it's boxed in all the way around... Not Will nor Bruce could brake the car there!

--------------------
Chris Klein

Shop Teacher

just got back from having my new engine dynoed and big numbers heading up to Portland to do battle. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1000002272...437592&id=100000227299392

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

Oh the old engine spun a rod bearing and broke a skirt.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With that new motor, you just might hit 95mph in T10 [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Shop Teacher

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
With that new motor, you just might hit 95mph in T10 [Smile]

-bw

Coasting down to 95!

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Pack Fodder

Just for the record...I never said you were wearing a skirt. You brought that on yourself. [Razz]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Thomas Micich

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Micich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My dif that blew up at the rose cup isnt that bad but theres a hole in it.

--------------------
2010 Howard Allen Novice Driver of the Year
7 Time Karting Champion
Amsoil/Mayor Apparel/KKR Products/Spy Optics/Fluid Muscle Recovery

Kyle Freiheit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey,
I still have pieces of it in my windshield.. and my whole car got a nice hot oil bath [Smile]

Kyle

Pack Fodder

I sort of wondered what happened when I saw the smoke coming out.

Amusing conversation in the paddock but I don't remember between whom... (Driver 1) "Anyone know what happened?" (Driver 2) "He blew his diff." (Driver 1) "No. I don't think it was the diff." (Driver 2) "Well when I looked it had a big hole in it so I'm pretty sure it was."

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Freiheit

Yeah.. I pulled behind Thomas in the draft and as I was pulling out to pass was sprayed with diff oil and parts. Remarkably, Thomas' car then sped up. Apparently there is some windage in the diff [Smile]

Kyle

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've never seen a diff blow like Thomas's did, so he's doing something right....

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: