Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Street Survival Instructors (and students!) Wanted

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Street Survival Instructors (and students!) Wanted
weidspeed Verified Driver

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 7
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On Sunday, Oct 3 Oregon Region SCCA (with support from FOPIR and associated Clubs) is sanctioning a Tire Rack Street Survival® School at PIR. It looks like we'll use the North paddock (Pro Pits) this time. If you don't know about this great young driver program, please check it out at http://www.streetsurvival.org

Spec Miata and SM alumni drivers have proven to be great in-car instructors (go figure). It would be great for the Oregon Region SM community to continue its support of this outstanding teen defensive driver training program.

Some answers to FAQ:
* Students drive their own vehicles
* You are in the passenger seat, i.e., you don't drive (unless selected to lead a demo)
* You are never on a racing surface
* This is neither a racing nor performance driving class -- it's a car control clinic
* Event lasts from 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
* Upon your death bed you will receive total consciousness. So, you'll have that going for you, i.e., this is strictly a volunteer position

If you're interested in instructing please shoot me an e-mail at streetsurvivalpdx@hotmail.com. If you have any questions, I'll be at the Aug Reg'l race, proving exactly how slow Ken's 94 car is capable of running.

We really need to spread the word of this event. If you have young drivers in your household, have friends with drivers aged 15 - 25, or work with customers with kids in that age group, please encourage them to enroll at http://www.streetsurvial.org, cost is $75 per student.

Thanks!
Jim Weidenbaum

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have done a number of these and I consider it the most important work I have ever done with SCCA. I actually had one of these kids, who turned out to be a sacker at the grocery store where I shop, tell me that his training save him on a snow covered bridge.

wheel

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It really is a lot of fun too. I've instructed at the Audi club teen driving clinics, very similar event, and really enjoyed it.

I'll check my schedule.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have instructed at two of the events hosted by SCCA NWR. It's great fun and very rewarding knowing that you are teaching skills and awareness which may help, in small measure, to avoid a true tragedy.

What's truly scary is the number of vehicles showing up with tire pressures in the high teens or low 20s...the seatbacks reclined like a barcolounger, the hand positions at 12:00 high. You get the picture.

Wish this program had been available when my kids were just starting out. Wish I could come down but I urge anyone within SM community in the Portland area to sign up. You will really enjoy the day!!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just realized this is a "street survival" not a "teen survival", but benefits to the students are the same in my opinion. And I suspect anyone with a drivers license can attend.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is THE primary teen defensive driving program sponsored by SCCA and BMW. People refer to this program as "Teen Survival," but the official name is Tire Rack Street Survival.

Licensed drivers and drivers with a permit (and around 4 months of driving experience) aged 15 - 21 are welcome. We'll take drivers up to age 25 based on available space (which now is plenty).
Check out the website at http://www.streetsurvival.org.

Thanks!
Jim Weidenbaum

We need your help in trying to round up students for the Oct 3 Teen Street Survival (aka Tire Rack Street Survival) event at PIR. As racers, you influence family/friends/neighbors on things related to cars & driving. Please get the word out regarding this outstanding defensive driving program. 90%+ of students are signed up by their parents, so your time is better spent influencing moms and dads. Class sign up is via http://www.streetsurvival.org. Students aged 15 (with 6 months of driving experience) to 25 year are eligible.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim Weidenbaum

Mr. Linse

Region: pac-nw
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Linse     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How old do you have to be to instruct?

Robert Linse

We had a great Tire Rack (thank the sponsor) Street Survival (TRSS) event last Sunday. Sort of par for the course, we only had a few students signed up until the final 2 weeks, when a couple of dozen more signed on. We'll be doing 2 more TRSS events at PIR in 2011. If the Hood River or Bend gang wants to lead it, we'll add a summer TRSS event in Central Oregon as well. As soon as the SCCA 2011 Road Racing and Solo2 schedules are set -- and I'll try to coordinate with Cascade and Porsche Club too -- we'll put out a note with tentative 2011 TRSS dates.

Robert, we'd love to have you instruct. We've had Andrew Caddell and Joey Atterbury instruct in the past. As (I think) you're still a minor, we just have to make sure to pair you with a student who already has a license -- as opposed to driving on a permit.

If anyone has any questions on Street Survival, please e-mail or call me.

Thanks!

Jim Weidenbaum
503-327-8990
streetsurvivalpdx@hotmail.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: