Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Chump Car - Spokane - So what happened?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Chump Car - Spokane - So what happened?
Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, where are the stories of the epic on-track battles and debauchery with the local wimminz?

I know Andy's car didn't finish and apparently Chris's team got 3rd (congrats!). That's all I know.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We're all probably still dead tired.

I'm back at work but still feeling the after effects. I'm still sore all over. I'm sure everyone has epic stories. Over the 24 hrs there was plenty of drama and scary moments including multiple minor(ish) contacts.

My 6pm stint was hot but pretty tame drama-wise. My 1-4 a.m. stint (started after a long red flag then another one 3 laps in) on a reconfigured course I hadn't driven in the daytime was pretty insane. My 10 to noon closing stint was mentally exhausting when I realized at 40 to go I had less than 20 mins of fuel left.

The car survived. Part of the main pulley fell off, it has a few more dents and the alignment is probably quite different now.

The drivers survived although some barely after the hottest stints or long dark stints.

We won a cool trophy plus $500 and once again had a blast. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Keith!

Apparently, Eddie Nakato's Miata was a victim of that reconfigured course.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I almost was too. I didn't get the whole story because I hopped in the car after Eddie went into the Vette/wall. I hear it was a late braking contest initiated by our driver and folks not wanting to get passed stayed with him. Then carnage ensued. I haven't seen the vid but people are blaming the Vette (who of course was blaming Eddie.)

After the restart, I followed a VW rabbit for 2 laps to learn where the new T1 then ventured out on my own. The next lap there were emergency vehicles there but no sign of a crash. The lap after I stopped following it the VW blew straight through the corner and DEEP into a field full of boulders. Glad I wasn't still following him.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It wasn't eddie in the car, it was Cam Benner, Redline Time Attack driver. He had to visit the hospital as a result of the incident. Cam's friend was giving me the play-by-play all weekend and waking up to a text about benner at the hospital wasn't the coolest thing to happen all weekend. Cam's doing good and will be ready to get back into his Subaru this week for testing [Smile]

Thomas Micich and I are looking for a ride for the October event at PIR. We're not looking to get a "competitive" seat, so please no "Yeah bring 1k and we'll put you on the podium" type offers. Just a safe car is all we ask, we're just two kids looking to have some fun.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tigger the shark on the podium?

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Keenan:
Thomas Micich and I are looking for a ride for the October event at PIR. We're not looking to get a "competitive" seat, so please no "Yeah bring 1k and we'll put you on the podium" type offers. Just a safe car is all we ask, we're just two kids looking to have some fun.

Dude, I'm in the same boat. Maybe we can pool our resources and build a car? Just a thought.

I'm thinking "Volvo 240" [Big Grin]

Pass right

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got an idea too! Would be fun as heck to build a car Mike.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Spud99

Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spud99     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Cone Damage Miata was following the Corvette/ Miata duo into the corner when it happened. We should have it on video. Hopefully the HD Pro picked up some footage. Our driver
was following the Vette for awhile, and he was off and on a few times before that incident. I thought the Miata was fatal( the car) when the hauled it back to the pits, but it came back on the track later, and was push started to appluase to finish the race.

I watched the first lap when they went green again after the reconfiguration, and it was crazy
watching brake lights all over before that corner. They should have ran a few laps under yellow for the drivers to get use to it. That really isn't part of the road course. It was the return road for the drag strip [Smile] . Hopefully the track will have the new section completed before next year.

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the note I sent out tot the drivers when I got home...

3rd place is pretty good going from a deranged idea to a twisted reality in some po-dunk shop in Carlton, Never seeing any track time until the day before the race and being too cheep to step up and use real tires like the teams that took first and second! The team worked great! From my perspective we had Bruce (who couldn't make it) but was a master theme designer! Travis who can fix anything and drive fast with a hang over in the hottest part of the day with out puking in the car! Jeff who also can fix anything and drive fast with a ruptured disk! Chris Wilhelm who designed the sched and passed big V8 with a Miata down the long straight. Keith, the heart of the team and best driver. James displaced me as team smart-ass and I felt a little lost, but who'd though a Porsche guy could drive a Miata that fast, the guy really should drive Spec Miata??? Sherrie who held the team together and was wicked with fire-bottle! Then there was me...

I really, REALLY like endurance racing, not because I get to drive a car 120 mph on no sleep, not for the baking summer heat, or plush accommodations, or the gourmet food. It's the team work and everyone pulling together to get the job done! The goal was to make it through the night and we did, although James was inches from a race ender, but another Miata was wasted in that collision! We made it through the night and got 3rd to boot! Nice job!

--------------------
Chris Klein

Chris Klein

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tracy (Jeff's wife) is setting up the rides for Oct. Looks like a totally different group, Jeff and I will be crew (not racing) as it is a weird 7 hour one day and sprint races the next... Somehow the romance is gone when they drop the 24 hour format...

--------------------
Chris Klein

Chris Klein

@Bruce Wilson

I think we fixed the crashing problem in your old car... we moved the seat back! Not far enough for James 6'3 but far enough back it doesn't crash any more!

--------------------
Chris Klein

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is special indeed. It only goes to prove that in all my years of racing that car and all the times I Almost lost it, but regained control somehow and all the times that I thought I was crashing, but opened my eyes only to find that I was still on track, and all the times I brought the car home in a bucket and said, what the hell, and all the times that it just kept coming back a better car, and even in it's last run in SCCA, coming from the back like that... Ah crap, forgot what I was going to say.

Congrats guys!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Chris Klein

They let a 510 with a VG30 in it run as a Chump... I have a camo 510 and Jeff has VG30 all over the place... Theme is alread in place! Ah... I'm still too tired, right now, to talk about another Chump car project.

--------------------
Chris Klein

Pack Fodder

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Klein:
Somehow the romance is gone when they drop the 24 hour format...

I agree. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing the Halloween race but 24hrs is something different.

Some people may not consider CC actual racing. Sure felt like it to me. The individual efforts to survive and stay in the hunt are dwarfed by the teamwork required to keep the car going and drivers in the seat for that long, especially through the night.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Chris Klein

But, Keith there are rumblings of a new platform to take down Red #5 at a CA track... To be discussed among the team soon...

--------------------
Chris Klein

Pass right

Chris, latest update was showing portland being a 12-hour on Sat, and a sprint race or two on sunday.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Chris Klein

Cool! I heard it was a 7 hour... Either way Jeff and I will Crew for Tracy's team in the shark.

--------------------
Chris Klein

Chris Klein

This was Chris W's write up

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/1180-the...miata-spokane-experience/

--------------------
Chris Klein

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: