Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Conference Carnage at PIR?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Conference Carnage at PIR?
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What happened this weekend at PIR? I'm picking up bits and pieces here and there...Chris Klein's car a few inches shorter, Andy Robottom's 1st win, sounds like there may have been other bent cars. Who has the story???

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

John Wymore

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I'm picking up bits and pieces here and there
Sounds like other people were too ... :-)

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith..

Have posted over on Conference forum for info. Will forward anything I get back or you can surf over there yourself! Should be doing a lot of racing as the year winds down. Find myself with lots of time on my hand and somewhat forced into retirement. Hope to hit Portland twice in September.....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was hot as hell. It must have been over 100F at the track and God only knows how hot on the racing surface. Many cars had cooling issues.

Sadly, Chris crunched his Miata during qualifying. Luckily, he walked away from it. Miatas are tough little cars.

Andy got 1st in ITA (Group 5). I didn't catch who got 1st in the Group 2 SM and CSM races. I got 2nd in the Group 2 Honda Challenge race. [duck]

The Group 2 race was intense and a LOT OF FUN!!! I think we started with 36-38 cars or something close to that. Being a proud mid-pack guy, I always had cars close in front of me and cars close behind. I didn't see much carnage aside from 3-4 cars with varying degrees of body damage. There may have been more damaged cars but I didn't see them. I do know some cars dropped out of the race due to overheating.

I only raced in Group 2 so I don't know how things went in the Group 5 race, aside from Andy winning ITA.

On a sidenote, I recently purchased a GoPro wide angle HD camera and used it for the first time in Sunday's Group 2 race. I watched it last night and came to four conclusions:
1. It is a fantastic little camera. Great video!
2. I need to be much smoother in my steering inputs. The wide camera angle includes me in the video and is very damning!!!
3. Trying to pass on the inside of T10 (at PIR) never seems to work!!!
4. Miatas will outcorner and outbrake a CRX but most Miatas won't beat me in a drag race down the front or back straights.

I should have some video up soon.

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey nice talking with you tonight Michael. Fishing was lousy by the way.

Tony Nadalin emailed me that a young RX7 driver (Bob) lost a wheel and hit the wall during the Group 2 race.

Also, regarding that T10 comment. I know for a fact you can pass on the inside of 10 because a couple of young guns in Miatas did that very thing to me early in the year. 17 year olds have no fear!

Looking forward to seeing your video Mike....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris's car looked bad. So thankful he walked away and was in good spirits.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know that my spirits were good but humor never left... It was my fault I was so busy trying to go fast that when I passed Scott my mind jumped ahead to T10 which caused my to instinctvly to move toward the wall which then my right rear tire caught Scotts left front and spun me into the wall. Luckly Scott got away with just my ruber on his wheel as I went over and checked the toe on his car and it hadn't changed! I felt bad for ending our qual session and post poning the next because so much of the car was scattered on the track. I am fine... woke up Monday morning and went to work and even hit the gym in the afternoon... So thank you HANS, who ever built that cage, and the turn workers for being Johny on the spot!

--------------------
Chris Klein

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good to hear that you're OK, Chris!

Hey, you still have the Chump Car!

OK, due to popular demand, here's a video of the first ten minutes of the Group 2 race, taken from my car. A bunch o' Miatas in here, too. As you can see, most of the drivers in my part of the pack were pretty courteous and well-behaved. The rest of the video is coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNiNjTHFY94

FWD = Fun Wheel Drive [Big Grin]

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep... Chump shark is ready for Oct!

--------------------
Chris Klein

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: