Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » September Roll Call

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: September Roll Call
Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, who's in? Looks like Robert is carrying a lot of momentum and will be a force out there once more!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't forget - register at least 10 days in advance and they knock $30 bucks off the registration fee.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a new concept for a race. Let's handicap the field which will allow Keith, Randy, and myself to start one lap ahead. By the end of the race the top guys will still catch us but we will be in contention rather than in the way. That way I won't feel crappy when someone gets stuck behind me on the last lap.

Another idea is a claiming race where the bottom three can claim the cars of the top three. We probably wouldn't go much faster but at least we would be driving nicer cars. Half the race is looking good doing it; isn't it?

Yes, I'll probably show up so Randy, Keith, and I can have a three-way (battle that is, get your minds out of the gutter!).

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by terrell garrett:
I have a new concept for a race. Let's handicap the field which will allow Keith, Randy, and myself to start one lap ahead. By the end of the race the top guys will still catch us but we will be in contention rather than in the way. That way I won't feel crappy when someone gets stuck behind me on the last lap.

Terrell - We'll both get radios and you can tell me when they catch up to you. (The trash talk has begun) [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Been racing up north, but have every intent of joining the Oregon gang for this September event. Even have a new set of rains if the weather begins to go south on us.

Certainly don't want to spoil a threesome, so how about I shoot for mid pack this time.. [rolling on floor laughin]

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Thomas Micich

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 92
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Micich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ill be at the last two!

--------------------
2010 Howard Allen Novice Driver of the Year
7 Time Karting Champion
Amsoil/Mayor Apparel/KKR Products/Spy Optics/Fluid Muscle Recovery

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you're parents know you're up this late on a school night?

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm out. I haven't raced since July 4, and don't have a race on the schedule until the late-September IRDC race at PR.

weidspeed Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The car I was going to race was wrecked in a Cascade race, but if it's repaired, I'm in. If it's not ready, there's still a chance I may race, but it'd be in ITA sharing a car.

Jim Weidenbaum

Thomas Micich

Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Micich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dont have school yet so i can do lots of [Sleep]

--------------------
2010 Howard Allen Novice Driver of the Year
7 Time Karting Champion
Amsoil/Mayor Apparel/KKR Products/Spy Optics/Fluid Muscle Recovery

Randy Thieme

Anyone moving in Friday? Are we paddocking the same place as the last race?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, I'll save us some spots where we were last race. I think we actually have real traffic cones (actually called Delineator Posts) now to block out our spaces courtesy of Miatacage.com of course!!!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So looks like we have another fast kid registered, as well as someone who hasn't raced with us for years. Mark and David, PM me and let me know what you guys need in terms of paddock space. If you're going to join us on the track, you might as well join us in the paddock too.

Looking forward to helping you guys anyway possible, just let me know.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Being one of the Obamanomics casualties, and therefore trying to save a few dollars, wondering if PR has a usable shower since I think I am going to be camping at the track...unless the weather goes to hell.

Hoping to arrive around mid afternoon Friday if I can get the running lights on my trailer working. Here's hoping the Group 1 grid grows. Pretty skimpy as of now but really look forward to returning to PR.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Randy Thieme

Unfortunately no showers at PIR (did you mean PIR Bill?) Might be able to bum one from someone with a motorhome. Even though I'm local I'm thinking of camping out in a pup tent.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not looking good. Got a call from Georgia Pacific and it looks like I will have to grind wood Sunday for them. My operator is on honeymoon so I'm the operator. I'll miss racing and instead will eat dust all day.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Sorry to hear that Terrell. Stop by Saturday if you get the chance. Practice is at 11 AM and qual at 3:10.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Yes, I'll probably stop by so you can give me crap for being a whimp and not racing. I'll be your pit bitch.

I really wasn't happy to receive that call but when your sole wood customer asks a favor it's hard to say no.

Best of luck to all and have a safe, fun time.

--------------------
terrell garrett

weidspeed Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for weidspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Swing ... and a miss.

I'm out for the usual reasons: no time, job, or money (as opposed to wine, women, and song??). Depending on changes in said conditions, I may try again in October. Have fun!

Jim Weidenbaum

W. Bonsell

Well, trailer lights are up and working so looks like I am heading down Friday morning. Any idea what time the paddock area will be roped off for the Miatas? And can I get in early Friday. Not sure if there is a T&T going on.

Also, waiting this afternoon for new Carbotech's to arrive from Saferacer. Should be here later today. If not, does anyone have an extra set of fronts that I could purchase Friday. Definitely need new front pads for the weekend.

Thanks and look forward to the weekend. Weather looks pretty good... [Big Grin]

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm very much a maybe at this point but probably a DNS. Depends on work.

I get a lot of flexibility at work to go do Keith stuff, but I do earn that. Right now, it's time to make the donuts.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I'm very much a maybe at this point but probably a DNS.

Maybe October then?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definately. I just had to get through a big wave of work. Now I'm taking the weekend to get caught up with stuff...like sleep.

There are still 2 conference races this month. One PIR, one PR. I prefer the SCCA format with spring and main but I have to use up the last of my 888s. [Smile]

Good luck and have fun this weekend!

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, the FB feed from Oregon Region ended on the last lap of the SM race, so we who weren't there are still curious how it went....

Jason Rawlins

Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Rawlins     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Mark,

You missed some great racing..

1) Matt Schultz
2) Ken Sutherland
3) Robert Linse
4) Bruce Wilson
5) Jason Rawlins
6) Gary Bockman
7) Thomas Micich
8) John Sause
9) Jim Graffy
10) Mark Stefanelli
11) David Dodge
12) William Bonsell

Come join us for the October Double Regional!

--------------------
Jason
SM #20

Gold Member

A very good weekend all in all. It was great seeing everyone again, but we did miss all you other regulars too.

Matt finally found his stride and swept the weekend with the pole and wins in both sprint and final. That would be the third first time winner this year, which I think is a first in Oregon region. A big shout out to Matt, good job man!

Also Jason upset the ITA race and took his first win against the likes of Robert and Ken, all the while, battling those pesky 944s. Jason is next up for something big. He's been working hard and it's starting to pay off.

Despite my bobbles in the main race and losing 2 spots on the second to last lap, I managed to extend my championship lead to 17 points, and will seal the deal with a fifth place or better in one of the October races.

Again half the field in the 1:31s and a couple dipped into the 1:30s on a fairly hot day when the track was at 114 degrees... All goes to show we get friggin fast throughout the year. Great to see the level of competition just gets more intense!

Great to see another 15 year old join the fray. David Dodge, 2010 Miata Teen Challenge driver joined us and had a lot of fun learning a new track! Oregon region continues to be the training ground for future pro drivers as well as fast old geezers [Smile]

We're hoping to see all you geezers again in October!!!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

Thanks for the update, and congrats to Matt!

This old geezer hasn't raced since July 4, which probably isn't a good formula for getting fast.

I only plan races one at a time. I'm planning the September IRDC race at PR. If that goes well, and if the weather forecast is decent for October, I'll plan to join you folks for that one (even though all my racing buddies up in Seattle seem to have disappeared).

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
(even though all my racing buddies up in Seattle seem to have disappeared).

Sorry Mark, duty and our sense of adventure set us on this course. [Smile] I will say that racing (and my racing buddies) are the things I miss most about home.

Congrats to Matt, sounds like a great weekend. Jason, next month it's your turn! [yep]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

W. Bonsell

Yes, congratulations to Matt and I must say it was nice finally getting back to Portland. Thank you to young (15) David Dodge for coming up from Medford with his family.

Were it not for David, I would have had no one to race with as Randy had to drop out early with suspected clutch problems. David and I may have set the Oregon standard for young kid vs old geezer (62) hammering on one another all weekend.

I really need a limited slip ...either a torsen (getting more difficult to find I have been told) or a Mazdacomp. I'll research to get feedback but which is the better way to go given the choice.

Hoping some of you may come north the Sept 25/26th weekend and race Conference at Pacific. There is a special race group just for Japanese cars...

Agree with Pat...your up next Jason! Gosh, you front guys are super fast! I can only hope to keep some in sight and not get lapped. [Smile]

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

W. Bonsell

For purposes of clarification, we need to agree on at what age is one officially a "geezer"? If it is 50, then we need another name for those in their 60's. [yep]

Bill (really old ________?)

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Jason Rawlins

Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Rawlins     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for your confidence in me guys...I'm getting the speed... Just need to keep the consistency and stop those silly little mistakes from happening..

Let's hope for a large turn out for the last Oregon race of the season!

--------------------
Jason
SM #20

Spence Gatrell

Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will definately be at that one. Just to bad I can't use my lucky number 8.

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Spence,

Sorry about the number 8 deal. I had three other numbers stolen from me before I finally marked my territory on that one. Just a little defensive on that issue; however, depending upon the compensation level we might talk. I hear a new set of RA1's is the going rate for giving up a number! That is, if it is that important to you.

I will probably show up at the October race just because I'm sick of missing the last two races. I saw Gary at lunch yesterday and that sealed the deal.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Gold Member

Oh, BTW, I have a set of beautiful takeoffs with about 7 cycles on them if anyone is interested. I'm going for the one weekend tire combo for the big showdown [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Oh, BTW, I have a set of beautiful takeoffs with about 7 cycles on them if anyone is interested. I'm going for the one weekend tire combo for the big showdown

Not having raced much in the last couple of summers, I'm a bit behind (in more ways than one). Is the new thinking that the track likes newer tires?

Gold Member

Best to say it doesn't hate new tires anymore. But we've had so many green track races this year, I'm not sure anyone has figured it all out. We've had some very fast laps run on new and old.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Spence Gatrell

Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell - Cash, check, or just tires

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: