Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » october roll call

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: october roll call
Dudley Redhead

Region: Oregon
Car #: 01
SMIM: 2009 Ore. Region Crew Chief of the Year 2010 Ore. Region ITA Champion
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

october event coming up in 2 weeks. who is coming? let me know so we can reserve space. is anyone planning on running the thursday test day? see everyone at the event.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in. Don't have to put my car back together this time or anything. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had to chose between ICSCC event this weekend at ORP (never been to the new track) or SCCA the following weekend. Have opted to travel to ORP.

Congrats to Keith for finishing 3rd in the Mothra class at the just concluded Conference race at Pacific. To see highlights, or lowlights as the case may be, feel free to view my video from both the Group 8 (special race group) as well as Sunday's Group 2 race.

http://www.vimeo.com/15345855
http://www.vimeo.com/15344485

Have a great final event of the year and may the winter months pass quickly.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't get 3rd. I set my beer down to collect my trophy and they called the wrong name. Turns out there was a car mis-catagorized as ITA that was 2nd bumping me down to 4th. Sadly, there is no engraved plastic statue of Mothra proudly sitting on my mantle.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear that Keith. You seemed kind of stoked to actually qualify for that little trophy and a free set of NGK plugs.

Have a great SCCA race and see ya next year!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Jason Rawlins

Car #: 20
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Rawlins     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Red,

I'm in. Usual need for Space Thursday night please!!!

Thanks, see you there!

--------------------
Jason
SM #20

Dudley Redhead

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i have been called out of retirement, and working agian (dam). i will not be able to go out early thursday and reserve our spaces. ken is going to try and go out thursday sometime to reserve for us. if anyone is going out for the thursday test day, please let me know. hopefully that person can reserve space for us. i do have construction tape to cordon off our area. everyone who plans to come to this event please respond to this so we can save space for everyone. oh any special paddock requirements let me know.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like I'm in [Smile] As it looks right now I won't get to the track until late Thurs.

I'll need my usual space for my 28' trailer.

Thanks,

Tom

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there, no matter what! Damn job!
I just need a space for the car and 28' trailer. Looks like the turn-out is low so far. Maybe space will be plentiful.
Thanks.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm giving it serious consideration; I'm told I need seat time (not on my own couch) to get faster. But the weather forecast is deteriorating rapidly....

Dudley Redhead

mark, come down and run with us. the seat time will be a benefit for you. if it should be wet out you will gain the seat time and car control that will assist you in going faster in the dry.
SEE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!!!

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sadly, I'm out. I'm scheduled to be in New Mexico the 15th for hunting and then again in Hells Canyon the last week of the month for hunting. Just don't feel that the funds are available right now. I'm going to save up a racing war chest for next year and finally get serious about getting fast. I'm tired of being at the back.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not entering either (also for budget reasons). I'll be there corner-working though.

All - Don't forget the Friday and Saturday evening socials are for everyone. All the corner workers I've spoken with would love to see more drivers and crew there. Free dinner, soft drinks and adult beverages can take a small bite out of the racing budget. The food is always good.

Pack Fodder

I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have 3 expensive days of driving around the course by myself.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You will be rewarded Keith. lead and follow during practice, just you and I.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have 3 expensive days of driving around the course by myself.

Keith - Finish both SM races and your in position to beat Terrell and myself in season points. [Wink]

Pack Fodder

Cool Bruce. I will definately take you up on that. [Smile]

Randy- I'd rather beat you guys Sat and Sun than beat you on season points. [yep] Last weekend, running mostly mid-field was a great chance to work on my racecraft. Lots of dicing it up. I was looking forward to using some of it. Plus I started making sense out of the squiggly lines in my data and it was a real eye opener. My car isn't the biggest factor. Sure, I sling the car around some corners pretty fast on any given lap. I just don't combine the fast sectors into any single lap. It averages out making my times somewhat consistant but I left a good 2-3 seconds on the table in any given "fast" lap at PR.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
I'm giving it serious consideration; I'm told I need seat time (not on my own couch) to get faster. But the weather forecast is deteriorating rapidly....

Mark,

You said you were starting to feel better about the rain earlier in the year. This is PIR...NOT PR. PIR is a whole lot LESS risky then PR in the rain...so come out and play. I think you are ready. Do you really want your next race to be 6-7 months from now.

The weather will change comstantly from now until the race weekend. Yesterday it looked like possible showers on Friday, today Friday looks good and possible showers on Sat....at this pace it won't rain until a week after the race.

Tom

Goggles Pisano

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going to follow as well. All weekend probably. [Smile]

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Trying to talk myself into a last minute entry on my old worn-out tires if it is going to be dry. No point whatsoever in the rain.

The thought of Keith beating me for season points bugs me too much! If he does it I'll never hear the end of it.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom,

I appreciate the sentiment, and even agree, to an extent.

Yes, I feel much less apprehensive about racing in the rain (up to a point). Especially on a track with some runoff (ask Ken about the runoff on a wet track [Wink] ). But that doesn't mean that I look forward to spending all the money involved in towing to Portland, staying in a motel for three nights, eating out for three days, in order to race in the rain, if I know it's going to rain. And be cold.

I've signed up for the race. I have motel reservations. I'm having the mysterious horrible noise emanating from the back of my car since the tire wall at PR whacked me last Friday looked at.

If I think that the conditions will be ok (not necessarily dry all weekend, but not pouring rain on race day), I'll probably come on down.

Pack Fodder

Terrel,
f- season points. Like we really care. I want to race your ass. You know you want to race mine.

We've established that and we'll help bleed each other's brakes or whatever between shit talking like always..then race. Hell...you loaned me your damn car and kicked my ass driving it.

We're both pissed when the other guy has some reason the other guy's car takes a crap and we lose out on good shit talking rights.

I'm now a firm believer it's not the car, it's the driver. F&^&% poitnts, lets race. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nobody be using tires as an excuse, I have lots of takeoffs.

So I ordered a set of 2/32 tires for the last race, but I only need to finish 5th in one of the races to seal the championship. Ken asked me why then am I ordering a set of tires??? I thought about it for a quick second and said, "because I want to win. Screw this championship stuff and playing it safe, once I finish the first race and add up the points, I'm racing for position!!!"

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:

If I think that the conditions will be ok (not necessarily dry all weekend, but not pouring rain on race day), I'll probably come on down.

...just checked the 10 day forcast and now Fri and Sat look dry and sunday with only 30% cahnce of rain. Looks like the forcast is getting better day by day...like I said in an earlier post, at this rate it may not rain until a week after the race [Big Grin]

Anyway, glad to see you mad plans to come...I know you'll be there [thumbsup]

Mr. Linse

Region: pac-nw
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Linse     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know this is a little random, but i just finished the three videos from thunderhill if anyone wants to see them.
Robert Linse #55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu4o4rFL1fs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mat0jQ5LZEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0cS1QmNOM

Dudley Redhead

just checked weather and looks like some rain this weekend. thursday looks cloudy. is anyone going out for the test day?

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Veteran Member

Well, my plan was to come for the test day, and stay the weekend. Now, with rain likely both Saturday and Sunday, and rain possible on Friday, I'm not planning on coming at all. If I lived close to the track, like I do here close to Pacific Raceways, I'd go to the test day, and decide on the rest of the weekend on Thursday evening. But there is a lot of expense even coming down, and the forecast turned gruesome over night, so I'm probably not coming at all, unfortunately.

Goggles Pisano

I can't wait to race this weekend! Rain or shine. This is road racing after all. Last race of the year. It's a "must" for me.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Goggles Pisano

BTW Here's the real Goggles Pisano at work. Funny stuff. Don't let the link title fool you. It's Fred Flinstone himself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NakedandFamousTV#p/a/u/2/GmQoWQb4tx0

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com

Pack Fodder

It's only a 60-70% chance of rain and we're on the track less than 10% of the day. I figure that means if it does rain we'll only get about 30% wet.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
It's only a 60-70% chance of rain and we're on the track less than 10% of the day. I figure that means if it does rain we'll only get about 30% wet.

No, no, no, Keith. 60-70% means only that much of the track gets wet when it rains. The rest of the track stays dry.

Randy Thieme

Forecast has gotten wetter. I have a set of 888's with about 5/32+ tread. They're mounted on wheels. Should handle moderately wet conditions. Anyone who would like a set of 'intermediates' for this weekend is welcome to borrow them for free. PM me to make arrangements.

W. Bonsell

Portland is now 70% for Saturday and 80% for Sunday, but hey Seattle is 80% and 90%...you guys should have been at ORP last weekend...80 degrees and calm winds....

Good luck and intermediates would suck I would think in pretty wet conditions...ask me how I know!

Have an enjoyable(?) weekend in any event.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Gold Member

All models show us at the edge of the storm that will dump a couple inches in Seattle. Most weather reports agree that it will rain, but some are saying showers, which is usually what we get this time of year. I'm guessing we may get a few wet sessions, but probably a few dry too. Local channels don't agree with each other, which doesn't match up with Weather channel and Accuweather meaning it's still a crap shoot.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pack Fodder

A couple of us have the distinct advantage that in an ITA race this year, we had half the course dry, and half the course crazy wet.

So far, 5 cars are signed up in Group 7. Me and Linse make up ITA. I better show up to the qual session early to make sure I don't get stuck behind too many cars.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
meaning it's still a crappy shoot.

-bw

fixed it for you [Smile] ...oh hell, rain or shine or what ever kind of crappy stuff they throw at us, I'm in [Big Grin] Just make sure I have a nice spot on the pavement for the trailer. I love rain racing but I hate changing tires on soggy grass.

Tom

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

I will be there in spirit and will actually be listening as all of you have fun racing while I run a track hoe all day Saturday 3/4 of a mile away. It truly sucks but business comes first right now.

Keith, I agree but we will have to wait until next spring to prove that I am truly the better driver. I hope anyways.

Best of luck and safe racing to all!

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Sorry you couldn't make it today man. I'll give you something to think about over the winter... Bruce was right. We did about half a session together before I blew a shift badly, then I practiced what he showed me. 1:34.23

You're going to have to step up your game [Smile]

I spent the following practice session and qual sessions practicing, driving over my head, trying different things to get into the 33's but I couldn't do better than 1:34.30 due to various screw ups here and there.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

Keith, I'm happy to hear of your breakthrough. Jim Boemler did the same to me 3/4 of the way through my first year racing, and it made a huge difference to my driving. Kudos to Bruce (and to you for learning)!

Pack Fodder

It's fun sliding the car! [Big Grin] I found out tonight at dinner though my butt cheeks are sore as hell from clenching.

BTW...

BRUCE WILSON IS THE OFFICIAL 2010 OREGON REGION SCCA CHAMPION!!!

Way to go Bruce! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. You all should have seen him changing his diff in the rain, wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a big ole grin. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Kieth, you are right. It is time for me to !?!? Or get off the pot. Congrats on your breakthrough!

--------------------
terrell garrett

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Kieth, you are right. It is time for me to !?!? Or get off the pot. Congrats on your breakthrough!

--------------------
terrell garrett

Pack Fodder

Terrell,

If I could boil down what Bruce taught me into a couple of sound bites it would sound something like this:

1) Install a data acquisition unit. You’ll probably see your car is capable of going pretty damn fast if you let it and consistent lap times can be a bunch of fast sections and little mistakes in different places, all averaging each other out over a lap.

2) Sliding is a good thing and not necessarily a reason to dump off all your speed. A little throttle modulation can make the car gather itself up nicely if you’re not already too far gone, builds a ton of confidence that you’re not about to die, and is a whole lot of fun.

3) Going fast where you should be going slow, and slowing going slow where you should be going fast both make it very difficult to control the car and yield slow lap times.

Other than T12, my line wasn’t bad. T12 I was literally told I did completely wrong in all aspects. You and I drove the course pretty similarly. By my 2nd lap with Bruce, I was about .1 off my previous personal best, and it was a whole lot less dramatic. By the end of my first session, I was disappointed seeing my previous personal best on the screen. In the following sessions, when I’d see times close to my new personal best I’d think “Not a bad time considering all the screw-ups on that lap.”

[thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: