Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Data acquisition

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Data acquisition
terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which one do I need to buy? Do I really need the dash readout or should I be to busy driving to look at my last lap time?

This does not need much discussion, but rather I need to know what to do considering our economic environment and the fact I have to buy two sets of tires, an engine, and a radiator. Yes, I pulled a Keith and forgot to drain the water last week.

--------------------
terrell garrett

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ouch!

Get the Aim Mycrhon 3 Gold Auto. Having the shift lights and the warning lights is definitely worth it. Can't remember what comes with it, but you'll need the speed sensor, and you'll want oil pressure and Water temp so the warning lights work.

If you really want information (overload), you can get throttle, brake and steering sensors. But Once you're knocking on the podium you'll want the Air/Fuel sensor for sure. Throttle is the best value for your money though.

You can start with just the speed and add the rest later if you want to work up to the whole package.

Looking forward to sharing data with you.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terrell,
Almost everyone here uses the AIM system. I have the Michron 3 Gold which is pretty basic and still has more features than I know how to use so far. Virtually anyone around here is willing to take your data, overlay it against theirs, and help you learn from it. The dash is nice but if you already have a lap timer, it's not critical.

There's lots of time btw start finish and T1 at PIR to glance down and see ---BEST LAP--- I like it because when practicing, it's still fresh in my head what I did that lap so it's easier to figure out...That screw up cost me a ton! or Hot damn, try to keep doing it like that!

Cool shit but keep it simple. Don't get every bell and whistle. I have water temp and oil because I ditched my dash. Doesn't tell me much other than my car runs really cool and I still have oil. RPMs are nice but I learned a lot when mine went haywire regardless. Speed sensor is key, and an internal lateral g-sensor comes standard. I want to add a throttle position sensor this year to see where I really get on the gas.

Now fix your car and get your ass to T-hill in Jan so we can practice together you numb nut!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Spence Gatrell

Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MyChron 3 XG LOG is what i used.

-LCU (Lambda)
-Throttle position
-Steering position
-Oil pressure
-Water temperature

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

Spence Gatrell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-LCU (Lambda)
-Throttle position
-Steering position
-Oil pressure
-Water temperature

--------------------

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would suggest the AIM Evo4 with integrated GPS. It gets rid of the beacon you will forget at the track when you leave. You can add a Mycron dash to it anytime in the future if you want a display.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I want to add a throttle position sensor this year to see where I really get on the gas.

Oh yeah that's always an eye opener to compare with others! Especially when you really believe there's no more "Welly" to be had [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use the RLC Chase Commander. Most features for the money in my opinion, and RLC is continually keeping the system up to date with firmware updates and added features (chase cam integration).

Definitely give it a once over on their site and see what you think (then email me!).

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Dudley Redhead

Car #: 01
SMIM: 2009 Ore. Region Crew Chief of the Year 2010 Ore. Region ITA Champion
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dudley Redhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remember with the AIM system oil and water sensors you can set up warning lites for parameters you set up. Don't have to monitor these areas while driving. I review water and oil after every track session when data downloaded, very interesting data.

--------------------
Dudley Redhead

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Spence Gatrell:

-LCU (Lambda)
-Throttle position
-Steering position
-Oil pressure
-Water temperature

Spence are you getting all of that info directly from the obd2 port?

Spence Gatrell

The XG LOG has 5 input channels not including speed and beacon as well as a g-meter.

Basically the least amount of cash for the most usable information.

--------------------

Thomas Micich

Region: Oregon Region
Car #: 92
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Micich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a mchron 3 gold you can buy from me. i didnt use it to much but im not sure how many adapters we have with it

--------------------
2010 Howard Allen Novice Driver of the Year
7 Time Karting Champion
Amsoil/Mayor Apparel/KKR Products/Spy Optics/Fluid Muscle Recovery

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thomas,

I sent you a private message.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know many of you in other parts of the country use different systems. However you might want to check out the new system from Traqmate. The display is one of the nicest I've seen with displays even us older drivers can see without glasses. It has programable shift lights and two warning lights along a lot of other features. I got to play with one at the PRI Show last weekend. Its a least worth a look. [thumbsup]

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with George. The new display makes a huge difference in the traqmate system. It is full color with a touch screen.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any pictures or links to it yet?

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Flath:
Any pictures or links to it yet?

http://store.traqmate.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1920102

We were just complaining about the tiny, can't read numbers on my Traqmate display. Now how do I convince Santa (Wife) I need another display to go with the two I already own.

--------------------
Michael Ross

pat.ross

Region: SOW
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat.ross     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When pigs fly!!!!

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Close to a thousand bucks after upgrade and locking cables. WTF

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

/\
echo the sentiment.
i was interested when i heard about it, but for that kind of $ i dont think so.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^+1. You can buy a 50" plasma screen for $500 bucks nowadays. I could see $1k for a complete system, but $700 just for the display? No way.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, I'm a little suprised with the negative comments. Yes, its a pricey upgrade. But it is an upgrade that can be used with a system that I've owned for 3 years or more. In todays throw away world I like that I can save a little money by just adding on. To compare this to a plasma screen is a little unfair in that one will sell millions and the other has a limited market of only thousands. There is a lot work and money being spent to bring this to the table.

Just understand this is not just a display. It features full gauges and shift lights, assignable warning lights. It now uses a standard SD Card right inside the display. The days of pulling the unit or carrying your laptop to the car to unload your data is over. To go from screen to screen you slide your finger on the display just like the new high priced touch screen phones. These are just a tip of the new features.

My point is don't "rip" the product without a full understanding of its features. A lot of Spec Miata drivers have used Traqmate for years and can attest to their over the top service. While this upgrade isn't for everyone when you compare the features and service of other products you'll see the price is well in line with the other systems we can buy. Just do your homework.
[soapbox]

omg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I do not think anyone is ripping the product, since most of us have not even seen it. I was just stating close to 1000.00 for an upgrade seems stiff.

omg

With an existing system plus upgrades you will have an investment of close to $1900.00. You can buy a new system for $1500.00.

Wonder what a AIMS Racing MXL system costs?

True North

Region: Arizona
Car #: #7
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for True North     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Pista is two thousand....throw in another grand for the video.

--------------------
Race hard,
Dean Busk
Az Region
Commercial Brokers, Inc
True North Private Equity Group

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It doesn't seem that outlandish. I thought about getting the Race Technology DL1 with the Dash2. Cheaper as a combo but the dash itself is $865 if you add it later. Eventually I decided I'd have far fewer people to share data with and it was probably overkill for my needs so I went a different route.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not nearly as fancy as the touchscreen traqmate, but the g2x included dash (for way less money) kicks butt with digital tach, shift lights and alphanumeric 'guages' that can be set to read whatever your want - mph, oil pressure, etc.

that said, i am considering a switch to traqmate since it appears to be the most popular in the midatlantic and i REALLY want real-time video integration (vs post-processing).

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since a big feature is data sharing do any of these systems import their competitors data?

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think anyone can cross data from mfgr to mfgr without major restructuring of data.

Some years back, using PiResearch we could compare 2 cars/karts on simulation and animate it. It showed who was faster and where, when team mates then went to track, they could improve each other.

It is a very good tool to compare laps when somthing is amiss. I had two different days data on a car. Lap times within 0.2 secs, but with one lap higher corner velocity in major corners. The long straight had a headwind on the day with higher CV, by running simulation you could see the effect.

You have hit on probably the most important aspect of data acquisition, the sw. Recorders are just collection devices, in todays market they should all be reliable. Somewhere out in one of the fields around ButtonWillow is a AIM Drack Gold recorder.......

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

if believe if you export to csv from one, some (racepak at least) can import csv... but it is a pain.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

BrianW

Region: SW
Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

While we are on the topic of Data systems. I have seen a couple of people that have display mounts that attach to the steering column cover. Where can you get these?

I am getting ready to buy an AIM Pista and don't think that I will be able to see the shift lights if I mount it using the dash replacement piece. I am 6'5" and have a smaller 320mm steering wheel. Right now, I can't see any of the tach between 2K and 6K rpm's because of the steering wheel.

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brain W - Traqmate used to sell them, but NLA.

They are not difficult to make, just take a flat plate, make a cutout for the column, drill a few holes and attach to both column cover and display. You could even use 2 pieces of flat aluminum stock with a few holes each to attach to column cover if you don't mind the appearance. Or get real creative and use some of the sheet-metal you cut out of the doors when you installed the cage.

Just make sure you have enough clearance between the wheel and the display so your fingers can pass by even during emergency maneuvers.

re: comparing data.
-if you want to make sure car is operating correctly and lap times you are running, hook up sensors and watch the display.
-if you want to optimize the consistency of your laps and make some steady speed improvement, compare your own laps to each other.
-if you want to get faster quicker, compare your laps to another drivers laps.

The best system for improving your speed will be the one that you have access to the most useful data from other drivers.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

tLinder

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe Brian is looking for something like this
http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00022003/AIM_Dash.jPG
(It was already installed when I bought my car, so I don't know where it's from)

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about AIM without a display? I'm fine with my analog gauges for MPH, water temp, and oil pressure. Currently have a Hot Laps for lap time. Shift lights would be nice but not critical.

BrianW

Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

An AIM without a display would basically be an EVO4 correct?

omg

I have a traqmate in my SSM and an AIMS in my cup car. The traqmate is much easier, honestly the AIMS is a PIA compared to Traqmate, now that Traqmate has
added sensors, I think that would be the way to go.

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by BrianW:
An AIM without a display would basically be an EVO4 correct?

Yes, Now I remember 38BFAST posted that earlier on this thread.

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the price upgrade I would sugest to get the display. It's only $200.00 more

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: