Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Is this where I introduce myself?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Is this where I introduce myself?
John Kimball

Region: NW Region
Car #: TBD
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Kimball   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Folks,

I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the local SM community. My name is John and I'm addicted to road racing.

A little background info: I've been and autocrosser for about 4 years, but I've always known that my true passion was in wheel to wheel competition. Just this last year I was lucky enough to make the leap to road racing when I secured a ride with a LeMons/Chumpcar team and attended three races; Chumpar PIR in both 2009 and 2010, and LeMons "Goin' for Broken" at Thunderhill.

It was enough to tide me over, but I knew I wanted to race against the best of the best. (that's you guys) in one of the most popular, difficult, and well supported series in the nation. Enter Spec Miata.

I won't get into the specifics of my car build in this post, but here's a few teasers: I'm building a '90 model year. I'm 6'3", and 230lbs (currently), and my car is based on another local car that was just retired.

I'm really looking forward to this next year and anticipate lots of close calls. thrilling happenstance, antics & general mayhem. At least that's what I've come to expect by watching videos, and knowing a few of you personally.

So, thanks for making room for another mid-pack racer. I'll see you guys in March!

--------------------
~John Kimball
'90 Spec Miata 10AE Daily
http://www.johnkimballracing.com

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome aboard, John!

Who's car did you buy or are basing yours upon?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome to the insanity! I'm certain that three Lemons events was a great opportunity to accumulate seat time, but with that accomplished, you'll need to get accustomed to a bit more body contact! (Just kidding).
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

John Kimball

Region: NW Region
Car #: TBD
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Kimball   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

@Mike: I bought David DeRegt's car. I'm pretty stoked, as it's making my build much easier. Just a simple drivetrain swap really. [Smile]

@Rick: I'm watching you!

Actually, I do expect a bit more rubbing. The cars in LeMons vary tremendously in speed potential, so you'e never really close to someone for more than a corner or two. At this point I can't even imagine racing the same person for an entire race! But I'm sure I'll come to grips with it quickly. What choice do I have? [Smile]

--------------------
~John Kimball
'90 Spec Miata 10AE Daily
http://www.johnkimballracing.com

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome John,
Joe
TreadZone

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, welcome John to a great NW Spec Miata division whether you run SCCA, ICSCC or a combination of both as I tried to do. Having just completed my first year, I learned a lot and still have quite a ways to go. I too came from auto crossing and found a lot of the car control skills to be invaluable. Still working on my tendency to be a bit early on my turn ins (a bad thing), but this past year was the most fun I have ever had.

Do make sure you attend the Oregon SCCA school in March, regardless of what race organization you intend to race with the most. Absolutely invaluable for the new racer.

David's car was wrecked pretty badly at Pacific earlier in the year, but I found David's build sheet to be invaluable when needing to see the big picture as to what could be purchased and from where, to update an older car such as mine.

Hope to see you at Portland in March.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey John, sorry for taking so long to get out my welcomes, it's been a busy weekend!

Just let me know if you need any imformation on the school, building your car, or anything else. We as a group always go out of our way to help with getting new folks up to speed as many here can attest to. Just PM me and I'll send you my email address.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: