Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » Insurance Coverage?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Insurance Coverage?
Tom weaver

Region: Glen region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom weaver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As a member of NASA and running a NASA event is there insurance coverage included?

--------------------
Logistics and Technical Support manager (Truck driver) for 1986 Mazda RX-7 Its # 63. "Diesel Haulin'Rotary"

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yes.

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

ESD

Region: 70
Car #: 60
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ESD     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom:
They recently increased the coverage although the description of that plan seemed a bit vague when I read the information on the NASA web site. My take is that the coverage if limited to one million dollars per (race) event. That may not be correct, so, I'll await Jason wading in to give us the real dope.
Rick

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom,
See this recent post by Jason.

Yes, the insurance has gone up this year...

NASA Insurance Coverage Increase

RICHMOND, CA (January 1, 2008) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce that it has secured an important new benefit for members participating in closed course track and rally events for 2008. NASA's Excess Accident Medical coverage has now been increased to $1,000,000 from the previous level of $100,000. This coverage is extremely rare in motorsports nationwide and is even more rare at the amateur level making this a significant advantage for drivers participating in NASA programs. Details of NASA's insurance plans can be found on NASA's website at http://www.nasaproracing.com/insurance/summary.pdf

--------------------
Jason Holland
NASA SE SM Director
SCCA SEDIV AdHoc Member

[ 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Jason Holland ]

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Tom weaver

Region: Glen region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom weaver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks!! answers my question, Coverage looks in line. TW

--------------------
Logistics and Technical Support manager (Truck driver) for 1986 Mazda RX-7 Its # 63. "Diesel Haulin'Rotary"

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to be clear on some other areas of this too, because there is either some confusion or outright disinformation going on out there.

Crew members and mechanics, support folks etc, are all covered under the insurance. If you are a participant of the event and have registered and signed the waiver then you are covered by the insurance stated above.

There's no reason for some shops to be avoiding NASA events because they think their employees will not be covered.

Please read the summary in the link above as it spells out all the coverages etc.

Thanks!

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

pgipson

Region: az
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pgipson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are non-member participants covered under the $1M umbrella? Does that $1M umbrella have specific coverage limits (i.e. $250K per insured up to $1M) or is the coverage at a per participant limit of $1M? Is this "over and above" coverage that starts to pay when other coverage reaches a limit? Is there "lost time" coverage? These are questions that people have that don't seem to have answers.
And the link ^ doesn't work.

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There are answers if you are willing to ask the questions. The document is a summary but this info has been on the front page of the website for 3 months.

You might want to call the national office if you have specific questions.

Both SCCA and NASA's coverage is "over and above" as you put it. It only kicks in when participant insurance gives out (or doesn't exist).

Not sure about coverage limits but it appears to me that non-member participants are covered as long as they sign the waiver.

"and all other persons who have signed a waiver of
liability."

http://www.nasaproracing.com/insurance/summary.pdf

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: