Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » Fuel Testing Gurus?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Fuel Testing Gurus?
Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone know anyone out there who is conversant with Fuel Testing? Not so much a commercial tester but someone with knowledge that might be willing to consult with me on the NASA nationals?

Thank you

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,

I'm no guru, but the path you take depends on whether your are specing a fuel or not. Example:

1) If you say that the fuel may not contain (just making one up here) cyclohexanone, then you have to have a validated means, usually Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy, for detecting cyclohexanone. This gets complicated in a complex mixture like gasoline because you have to account for every little wiggle on the graph that comes out of the GC/MS. If you say that it can contain no more than 5% cyclohexanone, things just got really complex. This will be slow and difficult which equals $$. There are dye/reagent tests that can do some of this, but we all know that the good fuel blenders are able to outsmart the reagents.

2) If you say that only fuel from sources X, Y and Z will be permitted, then you can use a much simpler form of GC/MS, or even specific gravity/specific density, to match the fuels. You don't care what each little wiggled in the output from the graph means, just that they match pretty closely. A different fuel from the spec will stand out like a supermodel in a lineup of pygmies. This could take little more than 30 seconds per test.

Just my [twocents] [twocents] [twocents] (inflation)

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kent,

It will be option 2

I'd like to tracer and then easy tests for additives. Sounds like you may have more info...

pm me please

thanks!

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,

I'm really not an expert, just know enough about analytical chemistry to be really dangerous.

Have you called these guys:
http://www.ridgenet.net/~hideseng/prod02.htm

Other than a true GC/MS, I can't imagine a better kit than these guys have.

The only catch is that all of the fuel makers know the tests as well, so they have figured out how to game the system, which puts us back to Gas Chromatography.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,
If you decide to spec a fuel like last year (which I am all in favor for), See if you can cut a deal on the price. I hate it when you have to use a certain fuel to suddenly find that fuel is a $1 more a gallon.
Thanks for your hard work and efforts to try and get this "spec" field back to "Spec".

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Mediocrity rules!

Sean, I do plan on a spec fuel. And yes, I'm trying to get a deal. We'll see.

Thanks

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,

I don't see anything yet in the Championship Supp's on fuel. I also hear that the track sells Texaco 91 octane and Sunoco 98 octane. I would assume you'll be spec'ing one of those as the spec fuel, correct? Tracer too?

Thanks,
Andy

--------------------
Andy Rushing

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Jason,

I'm really not an expert,

But he plays one on TV and stayed at a Holiday In Express last night! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason
call Dave Gomberg form the CRB, he did all the research on fuel testing for SCCa and knows this stuff inside and out, I am sure he can give you the information you need.. On second thought.. I will text you his number [Smile]
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: