Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » NASA vs SCCA

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA vs SCCA
Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm thinking of running a few events with NASA this year but the information on their racing program is pretty sparce.

Does NASA have any type of regional championship like SCCA or is it just one National for everyone? How do you qualify to go to the national championships?

Do I have to get an anual tech on my car before attending an event. I found the online tech sheet is that it?

Thanks for any info, I do have some familiarity with NASA as I've run HPDE, TA and have done some instructing.

--------------------
Trakmnky

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian Domont would be the person to contact for info specific to Spec Miata for NASA Midwest.(He's the Spec Miata liason) I don't have his e-mail address handy, but you could probably get it through the NASA Midwest/Great Lakes website. Dave Royce is the head honcho & could also answer most of your questions or hook you up with Brian.

Basically, it's (so-called)National for everyone. You'll need to fill out the tech sheet available online, but an annual will also be required, as well as a new NASA logbook.

I don't know about qualifying for the Championships, but it shouldn't be a problem with the event moved to Utah this year.

Be aware, NASA requires a right-side head restraint & has expiration dates on window nets and FIA seats, so the transition from SCCA is no longer seamless.

Eric

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

five races with points, I believe. can be in more than one class too.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a document that I put together to help SCCA drivers who want to run with NASA to navigate the process:

http://www.molaps.com/NASA_signup.doc

It's not an official NASA document, so YMMV for your region.

In NorCal, we have regional points championships in every racing class. Some of them are very hotly contested. This year, several of them were decided in the last race weekend, including SM.

To qualify for Nationals, you simply have to compete in five separate races in National classes. Here's what makes it very easy - you can mix/match ANY National classes to get to five races, then you are eligible to compete in the NASA Nationals in ANY/ALL of the classes. So, if you wanted to qualify for the NASA Nationals, you could do so in a single weekend (at least here in NorCal) by entering your SM in Spec Miata, PTE and Time Trials (yes, TT is a National Class). You could do all 5 races in a single weekend.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks very much for that Dean. I've tried for a while to put the pieces together but you've got it all in one place.

Now if you could just get them to take my SCCA license, log book and spot check me for the tech differences so I could easily run with my NASA buds a few times that would the best. [Smile]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the information. Not sure I can get everything done in a couple of weeks for the next event but you should see me soon!

Seems strange to have a seat expiration?

--------------------
Trakmnky

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Call the NASA Administrator for the region in which you intend to race. They have the ability to issue a Provisional License at the regional level.

It is not optimal, but with some pre-coordination you can get a logbook assigned, join NASA and apply for a racing license all on Friday evening. If your experience is sufficient, the administrator can give you the ok to race on Saturday.

I have found my administrator to be VERY helpful, and easy to contact [thumbsup]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of the seat expiration rule, and I question the safety of an FIA seat with a back-brace installed. However, the FIA certification for a seat DOES expire after 5 years (read the FIA docs). So, technically, the seat is no longer FIA certified after 5 years, so it can't technically be called an "FIA seat" any longer.

Dean - not defending the rule, just 'splaining it!

--------------------
www.molaps.com

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Martin,

Like what Glen said, Call your local NASA Region Administrator. The one difference I have found with NASA and SCCA (at least in So. Cal) is that NASA wants to help get their racers out and on the track. So it wouldn't suprise me if the admin got you on the track (even if you didn't have everything 100% correct).

Not a rip on SCCA but their tech is generally run by tech officials that are only concerned with tech and not neccessarily the driver's enjoyment. Again no one flame up - Tech is safety and safety is ultimately enjoyment so they are correct in their focus.

NASA is run by racers for a profit, so they want to get you on the track if they can do it safely. SCCA is run by volunteers that specialize in their own specialties. Individually, they don't lose anything if they don't let run.

I don't know your specific region, but I think you will understand what I am saying once you get there.

Welcome to NASA!!!

Sean

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dean,
Great document! NASA should adopt that and put it on their website as you made the process really easy.

Dean is a good example of NASA administration at its best!

Sean

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Thanks, Sean! In the interest of constantly improving this, I'd really like feedback on the document from either newbies who use it and find it to be unclear or inaccurate or from seasoned vets who are aware of other differences I should include.

I'll suggest to Jerry that other regions might want to create a similar document with the specifics of their region included. I've never raced with another NASA region, so I don't have a feeling for how much of this is generic versus region specific.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do I really have to cover the SCCA patch on my suit and cover the SCCA stickers on my car? Seriously? Can I have a NASA sticker on my car at an SCCA event?

Can't I just have both on and run both NASA events and SCCA events through the summer that come to my area?

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did NASA change the weights to follow SCCA? IS the 1.6 2285, or still 2300?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
Do I really have to cover the SCCA patch on my suit and cover the SCCA stickers on my car? Seriously? Can I have a NASA sticker on my car at an SCCA event?

Can't I just have both on and run both NASA events and SCCA events through the summer that come to my area?

Unfortunately yes. You'll need to tape them over. I run both sactioning bodies and move the tape from one to the other. Typically they don't bother about the suit patch - unless it's at the Nationals and you're on the podium.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Read your rulebook. This is also an SCCA rule.

From the 2009 GCR:

Logos and decals of sanctioning bodies other than SCCA shall be removed or covered (car and driverís suit).

--------------------
www.molaps.com

I only cover my SCCA stickers and patches at the nationals, phot events or if asked. And it simply takes a piece of tape.
I think the patck and sticker controversy is hilarious as I have never heard a racer race with the other santioning body because they saw a sticker or patch.
Its simply about service, car counts and keeping the drivers happy. Not stickers

--------------------

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. In the SCCA GCR too huh. I guess I need to call both clubs silly and childish over that.

I think it is a little silly, too, but I can see their point. If a picture shows up in a magazine or the club newsletter, the sanctioning body wants THEIR logos on the car and no one else's. This is especially true for NASA which is a business, not a club.

A neat tactic that NASA Norcal uses for enforcement is that when you show up at tech or impound with an SCCA patch or decal, they have a special roll of bright pink duct tape they cover them with [Smile]

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:

A neat tactic that NASA Norcal uses for enforcement is that when you show up at tech or impound with an SCCA patch or decal, they have a special roll of bright pink duct tape they cover them with [Smile]

Clever idea [Big Grin]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
Wow. In the SCCA GCR too huh. I guess I need to call both clubs silly and childish over that.

+2 pretty pathetic

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: