Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » NASA and Toyo

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA and Toyo
Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Toyo Tires® Renews Longtime Sponsorship with NASA
August 11, 2009 7:48 AM — The National Auto Sport Association announces it is renewing its longtime partnership with Toyo Tires; extending its contract for an additional three years beginning January 1, 2010. As a part of this extension, all NASA spec tire classes will be going back to the Toyo Proxes RA1 as the required tire. This will become effective January 1, 2010 with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires. “This move was made in response to customer input, and we hope the racers will be pleased by this announcement. The RA1 has become a favorite amongst many NASA racers and has proven itself for speed, consistency, and longevity,“ said NASA’s National Chairman Ryan Flaherty.

NASA Competition Racing has a wide variety of road racing classes designed to welcome both entry level and seasoned racers who wish to compete wheel to wheel. Toyo Tires’ Proxes® RA1™ is an R-compound, street legal competition radial and is the spec tire for several classes in this exciting program.

“NASA and Toyo Tires have enjoyed a successful relationship for 14 years and we look forward to adding another three years to that run,” said Jerry Kunzman NASA's Executive Director. “In our opinion Toyo has always had the best interest of their customers in mind so it's great to see the relationship continue in this manner.”

“Toyo Tires is proud to continue our sponsorship of NASA road racing,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “Our Proxes RA1 has long been popular with amateur and professional racers and is a great fit with this exciting series.”

Great for vehicles ranging from sport compacts to European and American muscle machines, the Proxes RA1 is cost-effective by delivering excellent wear and winning consistency on the track. NASA classes using the Proxes RA1 include: American Iron, Camaro-Mustang Challenge, Factory Five Challenge, Honda Challenge, Spec 3/Spec e30 (BMW), Spec Focus, Spec Miata, and 944-spec.

To learn more about the many driving opportunities provided by NASA, whether racing or high-performance training, log on to nasaproracing.com. To learn more about the full line of Proxes tires from Toyo Tires, log on to toyotires.com. Toyo Tires manufactures and distributes a complete line of replacement tires for high performance cars, luxury vehicles, light trucks and SUVs as well as tires for commercial trucks, buses and off-road and construction applications.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

GeeZ. I thought people would be happier about this.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Astro Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Astro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I really like the R888s and think it is easier to drive them fast. The RA1s require more slip angle and many people have trouble sliding the car around the track at the edge.

Oh well, I will use R888s for the first 3 races next year and then go back to the "old" tires, which are slower in my opinion...get your track records in soon!

--------------------
David Spencer
1990 Miata - #87 SM

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,

Old news I think as far as Spec Miata goes.

It will be interesting to see if the other classes feel the same. I haven't heard the CMC guys complaining about the 888's.

Brian

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup]

Whoo Hoo, I might be able to race next year...

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

ToddW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Objects in review mirror are losing

Region: SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ToddW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
GeeZ. I thought people would be happier about this.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Spec e30 guys seem to be OK with R-888's....they can have 'em.

Joe Benton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 37
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How could anyone be happy after all of the bs with tires this year...bs that started with nasa and toyo. hope you guys made some money jason...because the nasa decision to endorse the r888 without any testing cost the rest of us a lot.

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Mediocrity rules!

Yeah Joe, I made a metric shit-tonne on the deal. Everyone at NASA did. In fact, that's all they do there. That is, think of ways to make money at the expense of the racers. It's an awesome business model.

It was a grand plan that worked out really well didn't it?

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

It was a grand plan that worked out really well didn't it?

Jason[/QB]

that pretty well sums the nasa tire deal with toyo up big boy...

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Mediocrity rules!

Big boy? You trying to pick me up? Sorry, taken. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
Big boy? You trying to pick me up? Sorry, taken. [Smile]

Sorry...that was a cheap shot...

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I for one am happy to be back on the Toyo with both SCCA and NASA. I think the 888 is not a bad tire has a little more overall grip but it certainly is not as long lived as the RA1, plus it is slower.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
[thumbsup]

Whoo Hoo, I might be able to race next year...

Why are you going to Bondourant or Barber.....

I'm just saying......
[burst]

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank God common sense prevailed both in NASA and SCCA. I am lucky, I have had such a crap season mechanically, I only bought and used one set +1 tire of R888's. It is a great tire if you have an unlimited budget. 10 heat cycles and mine were toast run at the exact specs recommended by TOYO.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Waco Racer Verified Driver

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waco Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cates:
I haven't heard the CMC guys complaining about the 888's.

Brian

Some are very upset about the 888 deal. read here if you want to know - CMC Board

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 98
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm waiting to see what happens...

I'm really hoping that Toyo doesn't just take the R888 carcass, compound, and curing times, and mold it in the RA-1 tread... I think we have enough people that are smart enough and have enough data on the RA-1 that they would eat Toyo, NASA, and the SCCA apart.

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dkizerian:
I'm waiting to see what happens...

I'm really hoping that Toyo doesn't just take the R888 carcass, compound, and curing times, and mold it in the RA-1 tread... I think we have enough people that are smart enough and have enough data on the RA-1 that they would eat Toyo, NASA, and the SCCA apart.

I don't think this would happen. The latest RA-1's are same that have been brought into this country before, at least the ones I have sold w/ 09 date codes.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: