Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » National Champ tires?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: National Champ tires?
fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was just reading through the supps and reviewing the posted SM rules online at nasaproracing and I couldn't help but notice that only the R888 is allowed for SM competition. I was under the impression that either the R888 or the Ra-1 could be used at the champs but the official rules I found listed don't allow that.

Can anyone help me with some clarification?

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

both tires are good for the champs...

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WHAT!?!?!

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's my understanding...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2009/04/extension-for-using-toyo-ra-1.html

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

fastbrewer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is why I'm looking for clarification. Jason , what you sent a link to was a news release saying the rules would be updated.
The rules clearly state that the r888 is the spec tire for SM competition. Doesn't say anything about an Ra-1 too.

I have an option for bunch of fresh Ra-1's but before I got a set I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting some cash in bringing two different tires. I have multiple sets of r888's.

-Jon

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

While I know this decision came from higher up the ladder than Jason. I must say, I strongly disagree with it. Every competitor should be afforded the same opportunity to run on the best "legal" tire at that event. If the best legal tire ends up being a 3 year old RA1, most in the field will not have the opportunity to use that tire. It is entirely possible that an old Ra1 is 1+ second a lap faster than a newer RA1 or R888. If that is the case, you can't win without it.
Besides that, anyone who is going with intentions of running at or near the front has at best, just doubled their tire budget and test time as you will have to try most combinations.
I realize this may help those who want to break out what tires they have left and not buy new. I would expect most going to this event to buy or bring at least one set of new tires? Am I alone in this thinking?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Mediocrity rules!

Jon, I'll change the sm rules in the next day or so.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

fastbrewer

Truth be told I was hoping it would stay the way it is! Only the 888 allowed.

To have the fast tire here at Miller will unfortunately triple a tire budget if you have to have the Ra-1 and the 888.

Lots of shaving.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This issue has been hashed over in other classes (CMC) already and as far as I know, the rule change that Jason sites above will stand. Personally, I am glad to not have to worry about this, but it was announced in April.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

fastbrewer

Figured it would and I'll have both tires. However the "Official" rules still did not reflect that and I didn't want to base my tire selection on a press release that would mean my running an Ra-1 an illegal choice (as the way the class rules were written).

Jason, Thanks for updating the rules so that there won't be any confusion.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it legal to run a combination of both R888 and RA-1 on the car?

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA