Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » NASA Nationals Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NASA Nationals Thread
trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations Andy!

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Chris Griswold for finishing 4th! Not bad for his first year in the class. Chris took the AIX Nat Championship in 2007. Great job Chris! The mentoring from Jeff Henderson and Brian Domont paid off!

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do I see it correctly, 9 of the top 10 are 1.6 cars??? Those things HAVE to be slowed down!

Congratulations to everyone. I hope James is treating you well.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no,speed up the 1.8!

--------------------
kim willcox

Mr ED

Region: lonestar
Car #: 11
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr ED     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations Andy!

Way to go for the Texas gang!

--------------------
Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care!
ww.gilfusracing.com

TORacing

Region: SFR-033
Car #: 10
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TORacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Way to go Dean!!! Awesome job! Great showing from the rest of the west coast boys!

Have a safe trip home and I'll gladly provide you with a Tall, Cold Marin Brewing Co. BEER!

Tommy O

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Excellent job Mr. Rushing!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM race was great too !!!

1. Jeffrey Walter
2. Jason Holland
3. Brady Flaherty
4. John Mueller
5. Clifton Winkleman

Nice job Jeffrey, you were untouchable all weekend.

The coolest part was @ the drivers meeting we all agreed to share our dyno sheets... All cars were within 2% of each other. This ought to be the future fellas.

Personally I want to thank Sean Douglass for helping me learn the track and a HUGE thanks to RJ Racing (Tim, John & Rob Gibson) for putting a killer set-up on my ride. Thanks bros.

[ 09-13-2009, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Jason Holland ]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Edit for jeffrey's last name

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all on a well driven, clean race.

[ 09-13-2009, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: TSouth ]

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to all the participants and podium finishers...

Congrats to Andy, Dean and Sammy...

Also congrats to NASA's first SSM National Champion, Jeffrey Walter... and to Brady Flaherty for rounding out the SSM podium.

I want to say thanks and congratulate all the SM/SSM drivers for such clean driving and for having such incident free races. We had relatively little metal to metal (FAR less than years past).

We also had good starts (other than the first qually) and people raced hard but very clean.

Thanks everyone for coming and I hope you all had a good time.

I had an above average weekend and was happy to race with all the new SSM guys. Nice to meet Brady and John and good duking it out with all of you. It was clean and fun racing.

A short synopsis of my week...

Thursday's Qually was intermixed with the SM crowd and Jeffrey used his superior traffic management skills to get away in the shortened race. I was able to pass Clifton for second on the second to last lap (I think).

Friday race saw Jeffrey and I work together while the other three SSM's battled behind allowing us to get away a bit. I was much more motivated this time and was keeping Jeffrey honest. He finished 1.6 secs ahead and we posted very close laptimes.

In the final, I was outside pole and when the flag dropped I was pretty much instantaneously swallowed up by Clifton and John on the left of me and Brady to the right. It was a near thing I wasn't in last place by the end of the first corner. Instead I was second to last....

In the end I was able to work up to second but then blasted my tires trying to catch up to Jeffrey. I kept pusing but I was just overdriving at that point.

The podium ceremony was fun ( I don't get to spray champagne often) and the eye candy was nice...

I want to thank everyone involved with putting on this show including Dave Balingit and all the NASA crew as well as our Race director Jim Pantas to whom the credit should go for keeping us all safe and less crashy than last year.

I want to thank OPM (Ryan, Tom and Tim) for all the support and advice and all the help with setup. It really helped and I think a couple lightbulbs went on!

Great to meet/see everyone...

Drago, Rick S, Tom (s), Derek, Dave, Skip, Jon, John, Troy, Tyler, Angela and Tim, Clement, Sean, etc etc and too many to mention. It was nice to finally put some faces with names.

Thanks to the Utah guys for the party on Thursday night. Great beer and food.

I also want to thank Mazda for their support and for bringing the parts truck (and James!) out to help us out.

Thanks to Mothers, our sponsor for the Versus and Speedcast productions of the race and also to Toyo for their generous contingency and support at the track (there ARE toyo trucks!).

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot of people but you know who you are. You all helped in making this a successful event. Thanks to everyone...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
SSM race was great too !!!

1. Jeffrey Walter
2. Jason Holland
3. Brady Flaherty
4. John Mueller
5. Clifton Winkleman

Nice job Jeffrey, you were untouchable all weekend.

The coolest part was @ the drivers meeting we all agreed to share our dyno sheets... All cars were within 2% of each other. This ought to be the future fellas.

Personally I want to thank Sean Douglass for helping me learn the track and a HUGE thanks to RJ Racing (Tim, John & Rob Gibson) for putting a killer set-up on my ride. Thanks bros.

It was great racing with you John and nice to finally meet you...

J

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First, congrats to all. [thumbsup]

Second:

***Do I see it correctly, 9 of the top 10 are 1.6 cars??? Those things HAVE to be slowed down!***

Bring em to Road America. [Wink]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Home after a great weekend. 

Congrats to Andrew and Jeffrey!

We were close to a three-peat but it just wasn't to be. It took a few days to sort out Big Bird and the proper tire selection. We nailed it by the second qualifying race, giving us the pole for the championship race. 

Start was pretty good. Decided to settle into second behind Andrew and just conserve tires with the weight disadvantage. Andrew did a great job keeping the pace up. A random miss started at about the halfway mark which caused me to fall back a few car lengths, but running the rumble strips brought the car back to life, until a few laps from the end when it got really bad. I eventually had to pull in for a DNF as the field raced past. [Frown]  

Turns out a connector plug on the coil progressively worked its way off. The 99 doesn't have as much torque on 2 cylinders [Wink]

All in all I had a good time and made some new friends. It's always nice to race against new people on different tracks. 

Thanks to Drago at East Street for building a great car, with help from Traqmate, Cobalt Friction, and Saferacer. OPM went the extra mile as usual to make sure the car was perfect. Sometimes the little things bite you but it's not something we could have anticipated. 

I hope everyone is recovered from a long Friday and Saturday night of "socializing".  I had a great time hanging out after hours, perhaps a bit too late but worth the lack of sleep for the stories alone [Big Grin]

Tyler, did you ask Valafar about trading suits? Streaker!  

Tim and Angie - thanks for the hospitality!

Rick Sleeper you make a mean frozen drink and that bottle of Double Bastard was impressive. 

Drago had us in tears at the NASA dinner. Toooooooo funny. 

Danny hope your chest isn't bruised too bad from all the tweaking [Wink] Dont blame Bennett haha

Steve I miss our breakfasts already. [Wink]

Those 1.6's are too fast. The 99 needs a lot of help!!!!

Thanks to Mazda, Toyo, and Mothers for supporting the event.

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Someone needs to post that video of Ricky Bobby!

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

Mark Franklin Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Colorado
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark Franklin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Way to go, Andy!

Mark

--------------------
SM #25 RMD

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Someone needs to post that video of Ricky Bobby!

I should have time tonight to put that together [thumbsup]

Ricky Bobby or the U.S. Stig revealed, you'll be the judge.

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 98
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Andy, Dean and Sammy, and Jeffrey, Jason and Brady!

Thanks for coming out to MMP and sharing our track with us! Sorry about the ghost of Ricky Bobby running around!

Tim, Angie and everyone else there saturday night, thanks for the laughs! The dancing Tim videos will be up shortly! Has Tim ever told you about when he used to plug tires?

Hopefully next years we'll see even more people make the tow out for this event!

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would like congratulate all of the competitors. A big congrats to Andy Rushing, he drove really well all week and saved the best for last. Also thanks to Jason Holland for all of the hard work he put in as well.
As far as us, I feel terrible for Todd, he drove exceptionally well and put himself in position to win. We had a set of "perfectly matched tires " and all. [Big Grin] As stated above, a 10 cent zip tie cost us a shot at a third national championship. We have never had issues with that coil connection before unless the connector was broken, this one wasn't. A very expensive lesson to learn at the most inopportune time. You can bet they will all be zip tied in a few weeks.
As far as parity, The cars were amazingly close. When the race comes out, you be the judge. I think it is safe to say we put out our best effort as did Karl and Andy. Sammy had engine issues and raced several HP down or would have been there and absolutely could have won it as well. All three versions of top prepped cars could have won, that's all we can do.
The off track stuff was far more fun than anything I saw on track. I have lost my voice and my chest and sides still hurt from the events that of Friday and Saturday night.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll post my in-car race video later this week. I agree with Jim - any "flavor" of the cars racing was capable of winning this race. I also agree that Sammy was down on HP for the race. He couldn't even stay in my draft on the front straight (but I'll be the first to acknowledge that I had GREAT top end this past week!!) I think my video shows the relative strengths/weaknesses of the different models quite well over the course of the race. Pick your poison.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dean
Sory, forgot to mention, you had a great weekend as well. Steady all week and made a real impressive drive to catch Todd and Andy from like 4 seconds back. with a few corners left you had a shot to win it.You must have nailed set up as it looked liek your fastest laps were at the end. Fun stuff to watch for sure! Congrats
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I have lost my voice and my chest and sides still hurt from the events that of Friday and Saturday night.
Jim

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Drago can spin a yarn...

"Get it off! Get it off!"

"...like an eight year old boy."

The best part was when the OPM gang went to the kart track on Sunday morning. After one session of us knuckleheads on track with 2 civilians, one kid asked "Do you guys race Spec Miatas?" [rolling on floor laughin] Fowler said yes, then the kid said "Karts 11 and 20 have Drago motors."

I got in #11 and walked the field. It was epic. I almost swallowed my tongue from laughing when Holland went off looking like the Road Runner with a huge plume of desert dust behind him.

Steve D.

PS - I made a mental note never to go fishing with Drago.

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sounds like I missed a really fun event - but I am staying tuned to this station for the video of ricky bobby et al!~

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Jonlee

Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonlee     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a small compilation of Ricky on the move!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-34DaxCO0Do&feature=player_profilepage#t=47

--------------------
Utah Region SCCA, R.E.
Drinking team with a Racing problem

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Region: SFR
Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL. Talladega nights meets Blair Witch...

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Shawn@sampsonracing.com Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA/SoCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man what a great time! Thanks SLC gang for the Beers and Brats! Congrads to all the NASA SM gang for a fun event. It was great to put a name w/ a face.

I went to the event knowing I didn't have a chance of finishing well (hard to work and race at any event much less this one) but I wanted to have fun, drive a great track and if all worked out well... roll the car back in the trailer w/o a scratch. It was all that and 10x better! Great event, great driving, supper folks and MILLER ROCK!

--------------------
Shawn Sampson/Sampson Racing Communications
Offical NASA Racing Communication Company
NASA SM/PTE/E3
2005- 1st Place EO 25 Hour Enduro NASA 86' Mazda Rx7 (RIP)
http://www.SampsonRacing.com
http://www.SRCProducts.com
Toll Free -866-396-7231

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a blast on and off the track, it was good to finally put the names with the faces. Thanks to everyone for coming to the party and for keeping the racing clean.

Congrats to Andy, Dean, and Sammy. They were fast all week and it loked like a good clean race.

Sorry Todd, I wasn't able to get a hold of Sammy and see if he wanted to trade suits.

Here are the videos from my race:
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWJvy-J5pI

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6iu3BZU-3Y

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jetDuwyhNE

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXChO0xcvE
Me and Dan were together the whole race and I had alot of fun racing with him and every one else.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

CarbotechDanny Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NeOhio
Car #: 26, 27 or 29
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CarbotechDanny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TimBuck:
Congratulations to everyone. I hope James is treating you well.

James was great the entire week. Great guy!

--------------------
Danny Puskar (push-car)
Carbotech Performance Brakes
4031 Dearborn Place N.W.
Concord, NC 28027
877-899-5024
danny@ctbrakes.com
http://www.ctbrakes.com

Puskar Motorsports
Spec Miata specialists
Chesterland, OH
216-406-8140

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who has the "Tim Dance-Off" video?

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recorded it on Noreen's phone during the encore performance.

Billy Ocean: Caribbean Queen FTW! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
I recorded it on Noreen's phone during the encore performance.

Billy Ocean: Caribbean Queen FTW! [Big Grin]

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FbKsSEwOvs
Dont remember what song

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKp9YrxU1NM
Caribbean Queen!

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

As I’m writing this, I’m rolling across New Mexico in the transporter today (Monday) so forgive me if this gets a bit long winded, but I’ve got just a little bit more time before we get to Austin late tonight… Here are some thoughts on my experiences and the people I met…

First off, the Miller facility is spectacular--definitely different than Mid-O last year but still world class in a very modern, chic way. The outer loop layout had all kinds of turns, fast, slow, transition stuff, and atleast two good overtaking spots. It was just a fun track to try to master and then race on. Thanks to Tyler for the video as it had me up and going fast at the end of the first test session.

The championship race was slightly surprising to me. Though I have believed for the last several months that I had a great shot at winning the race, realistically, I thought I’d have to wait to make my move on Todd and Sammy after the half way point in the race. I was counting on the 1.6 to show its strength at the end of the race as my laps stayed very strong or got better toward the end of the previous test and qual sessions. The different cars showed their strengths in the spots you’d expect with the 99 being strong after the shifts into 4th (particularly as we climbed through T2 into T3 and turned in for "Witchcraft") and the 1.6 being better in the tight turns (T5, T6, "Windup"). Overall, I thought the cars were very equal on this track--something we all should want for championship races.

Todd, you raced me hard and completely clean. You’re one of the only ones I’d go around "Witchcraft" with two wide (in the first qual race)--our fenders couldn’t have been more than a few inches apart. I don’t know how much longer I could have held you off in the championship race. Sorry about your mechanical difficulties. Thanks for the insight into your experiences in the world of professional racing--I may want to chat with you more.

Not sure if Sammy pokes around here much, and he has heard much of this from me already, but… It was unfortunate that your power issues popped up on Saturday, because you were magical in how you maneuvered that car around the track. I know my race would have been a whole lot tougher with both you and Todd to deal with. In the practices, I would find myself just pondering "how does he make the car do THAT around that turn?" It helped me a bunch in getting the track down quickly--thanks [Smile]

Dean, you were just plain FAST all weekend. I wasn’t surprised at all to see you hanging with Todd and me and then slowly creep up toward the end. More than anything though, you are just a friendly, genuine guy--it was great to meet you and share the track with you.

To all the Utah folks: Dan, Tyler, Jon Lee, and the rest, thank you for the party and always being helpful and inclusive to Karl, Berri, and me. I don’t know that I’ve had more fun off-track at a race weekend than this one--much to your credit. Thank you.

It was great to meet all the "California" folks: Dan, Bruce, Tim & Angie, Dean & Laura, Grant, and the rest. You all are outgoing, friendly, and fun--it’s clear that you guys are a big reason why so many people come out and partake in SM in northern and southern Cal regions. A special thank you to Tim and Angie--your hospitality and warmness made Berri and I feel completely comfortable. And make sure everyone out there asks Tim to show off his dance moves at the next trackside party--Karl said that the normally loquacious Bruce was speechless at the sight of Tim’s gyrations on Saturday night…

Always good to see Drago and DannyP. Drago had Karl and me rolling for minutes with his impressions on Friday night (Sandlin, etc).

Thanks to all my Texas racing brethren that pushed me to the max and kept it fun at the same time--JP3, Blake, Karl, Jeff Mosing, McSpadden, Reynolds, Verges, Taylor, James York, Craig, Gale, Stretch, Jesse, Rivera, Steve Ott, and many others. Much of this victory is attributable to you guys--I’ve sharpened my skills and racecraft racing against many of the very best in the country.

I’d like to give a big thank you to Karl from Applied Racing Technology for his support and mentoring throughout the past few years. I really felt for him as he had every possible problem pop up with his car throughout the week, and he would have probably been right there with me on Saturday if luck had gone his way. The power in my car was as good as anyone’s this weekend I believe and Karl was key as I considered setup options in tuning the car to the n’th degree as we approached Saturday’s big race. Many of you know I’m not much of a wrench either, and Karl took care of things in the tech shed. Thanks for all the knowledge and help bud--we did it!!

I have to thank Mazda as well. I couldn’t have dreamed at the beginning of this year that I would be in a position to potentially run in MX-5 Cup in 2010. Mazda gives guys like me a real jolt of energy in the pursuit of accomplishing their dream—it makes the dream seem possible.

Most importantly, I want to thank my incredible girlfriend Berri. She’s the greatest blessing in my life, and God has truly blessed me this past year. She’s more supportive than I could ever imagine from someone and helps keep me grounded in what really matters in life--my faith, others/loved ones and friends, THEN myself/racing. I think she was more excited than I was at the finish of Saturday’s race. She also loved meeting all of you and seeing firsthand what championship SM racing is all about.

Alright, I’m finally done now for those that made it this far… I just wanted to capture my thoughts/memories and thank those who made this past weekend’s accomplishment a reality. I know I'm probably forgetting to thank someone, and I apologize for that...

[ 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Andy Rushing ]

--------------------
Andy Rushing

Mediocrity rules!

It appears that alot of his moves involve simulating a dump...

[Smile]

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CarbotechDanny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would like to congratulate Carbotech driver Andy Rushing on his NASA National Championship. [thumbsup] He was fast every session and drove his butt off to win it all. No mistakes that I saw. Nice meeting your girlfriend and welcome to the club that Drago is President of. [Big Grin]

I would also like to congratulate all the other Carbotech drivers in the top ten and throughout the field. It was great to see how well represented we were.

Clement, sorry for the bad luck. You were fast and would have been in the top ten for sure (most likely the top five).

Brewmaster Lee, Tyler, Dave, and the rest of the Utah locals thanks for all your great hospitality and for a lot of laughs. You all are too funny!

Tyler, you are too funny and I will never forget the Ricky Bobby impression!! [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

Dr. Dan, it was great to finally meet you in person along with the other evil genius racing team including the two brothers that I met. You guys had a great drive during the race. I enjoyed the football throwing/target practicing game in the spec miata paddock!

Louis, Grant, Angela and the rest of the Rush Motorsport guys it was a lot of funny hanging out with you all. Thanks for going out to dinner the one night.

Tim & Angie Weaver, thanks for all of your hospitality as well. Great fun and can't wait to do it all over again at the Runoffs. I Loved meeting your friends, and bring them to the track anytime.

Karl, I never knew you could dance!?! I will let you know about the Contingency next year.

Jason Holland and Steve sorry I missed out on going to Park City with the two of you. Next time.

Todd, sorry about your bad luck but it happens to us all. You were definitely fast in another one of Drago's rockets. Don’t worry about the chest, but Bennett is DONE! Great time with a lot of laughs.

Jim, fun as always. Thanks for dinner and hanging out during the week. I have not laughed that hard for that long in such a long time. See you at the Runoffs.

To anyone that I missed sorry there are just too many to remember right now. Can't wait to see you all again next year.

--------------------
Danny Puskar (push-car)
4031 Dearborn Place N.W.
Concord, NC 28027
877-899-5024
danny@ctbrakes.com

Puskar Motorsports
Spec Miata specialists
Chesterland, OH
216-406-8140

Mediocrity rules!

Watch out for the ketchup!

Sorry we missed you two Danny. It was fun! One man roller coaster and all...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Dahl:
I had a blast on and off the track, it was good to finally put the names with the faces. Thanks to everyone for coming to the party and for keeping the racing clean.

Tyler, congrats on winning the new motorboat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vArDzLSb8HQ

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

quote:
Originally posted by dkizerian:

Dang he looks confused and way blotto... Too funny.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by dkizerian:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Dahl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vArDzLSb8HQ

CLASSIC... [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] I forgot about the motorboating that was going on (Jim, Tyler, and Karl)!

--------------------
Danny Puskar (push-car)
4031 Dearborn Place N.W.
Concord, NC 28027
877-899-5024
danny@ctbrakes.com

Puskar Motorsports
Spec Miata specialists
Chesterland, OH
216-406-8140

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkizerian:

Dang he looks confused and way blotto... Too funny.[/QUOTE

Took one to many footballs to the head, before he put on his helmet, or, it could be his suit was WAY TO TIGHT!!! It had male camel toe.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay...we need to get a higher def Tim video up. I know at least three of you were recording it.

Next year we need to get all the SM guys up were we were next to grid, so we can turn grid into the dodge(foot)ball court and dance ring. It will also make the "race" to grid a bit easier. We can draw straws instead of heading up two groups early. [Smile]

I just can't comment on the race yet, if ever. Andy said it all. You guys are really great.

I'm winning the dance off next year! [Smile]

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Its not very often that one leaves the track by blowing his brand new motor with a shit eating grin on his face. I call it a $6000 grin!

That week was a kick in the pants! A huge thanks to all that made it happen and especially for making it FUN.

I quickly figured out why people change the lower A arms when they build their cars as the car (and driver) pushed horribly all weekend. but the motor Rush built kept the car competitive.

Thursday Qualified 20th and finished around 25th. Thanks to everyone who missed hitting me on Thursday's race when I dropped 4 wheels off turn 4 to then proceed to spin back onto the track. (Hint: dont apply gas until the car is safely settled on the track) Driver is a bonehead!

Friday qualified 20th and finished 15th. Clean fun race.

Saturday warm up I decided to see if I could perfect the "drop 4 wheels off turn 4 manuver" again. And no, I didnt learn from previous experience when the car spun right back onto the track. Yes again. Hopefully by next year I will perfect the move and not make all of the cars racing around me nervous. Thanks again for not hitting me.

Saturdays race I had a good Start with Brian Bender and I drafting. I finally took the position away from Brian but with my car pushing so bad I had a tough time coming on the front straight so Brian helped to push me down. When I started to turn down into turn 1 Brian inadvertantly gave me one last shove. This sent me dirt tracking through 1 and eventually into the dirt. I lost probably 5 positions on the spin but was having fun trying to regain positions. Then the push started to get worse and worse and I noticed some liquid on the passengers side windshield. On the 11th lap the car would not rev past 4500. Hoping it was an electrical problem I proceeded to push on and hope it would come back. On the stright passed turn 6, the motor went bang! Which allowed me to watch the rest of the race from the infield. Thanks to Shawn Sampson Tim Bohney for not hitting me when I suddenly slowed and sorry for the oil residue. (lesson: Tighten your oil cap! Discovered that the additional push was oil that was splashed on the hood that made it to the wheel well and eventually to the tire)

Ultimately I finished 31st, which was better than my 45th last year but disappointing when I figure I could have finished in the top 15.

Thanks to Louis and Rush Motorsport for building a kick ass motor! Thanks to Rob, Tim, and Andy John of RJR Racing for working tireously trying to get the push out of the car. Thanks to Tim for being in my ear during the Race. Thanks to Tom and Bette of 7sOnly for their continued hospitality and for welding my front swaybar attachment point. Thanks to Mike and Kris Rose for their continued support and encouragement to go faster. Thanks to John Mueller for allowing Mike and I to practice our painting skills on your bumper.

Special Thanks to all of the Utah region guys! You have an awesome track and a tremendous comraderie. You made all of us feel at home. Hopefully we can we repay the favor if you ever make it down to So. Cal. Tyler....Just too funny.

Thanks to All of the drivers for making the race comparitively competitive, equal, safe, and relatively damage free.

Thanks to Jason Holland and Jim Pantas for the thankless task of organizing all of us and listening to all of the bitching.

Can't wait till next year!

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

SammyValafar Verified Driver

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 77
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SammyValafar   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations To 2009 NASA Spec Miata National Champion Andy Rushing and Runner Up Dean Thomas. Wish both Todd and I had better luck and could have stayed with you guys for the whole main race. You guys drove a superb race and deserve huge props!

I would like to thank the following people for all of their help & support:

Joe Gibbons "Wee Bee Racing"

Brian "After Hours Performance"

Ron Cortez " AIM Tire "

Black Flys Sunglasses " http://www.Flys.com "

Jeffey "Auto Technik Racing"

Mark Nichols " Iron Canyon Motorsports "

Mazdaspeed Motorsports " James, Tim, Scott & Staff "

Karl Zimmerman "Applied Racing Technology"

Danny McKeever and the Whole MMP Spec Miata Crew For all of the wonderful hospitality and assistance

NASA and all NASA Staff. Thank you for putting on such a wonderful event!

Crew Chief & Master Tech Josh Ritson

Miller Motorsports Park & Staff

Tweety!

Toyo Tires

& All of the Spec Miata competitors who were able to make it to the event!

I am very thankful and fortunate to have finished in a podium position after trying to chase mechanical gremlins and not figuring them out in time for the main race.

Thanks to Jim Pantas and Jason Holland for organizing much of the event and for going easy on me.

Anyone not mentioned thank you for all of your assistance and support too! I look forward to an even more successful NASA Championship event Next Year! Great Job to everyone involved!

Here is a Video of Heat Race #1 when my car was still running great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl8Z2cCACeo

I should have a Video of the Main Race up soon.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey I forgot to mention a special thanks to Danny McKeever for getting me quickly up to speed and showing us the secrets of the track. He not only took us around showing the lines braking and turn in points. Although he was also a competitior, He continually came by all weekend to ask how he could help make us faster and to answer questions. A class individual that loves the sport and wants to make sure everyone is having a good time.

If your coming to Miller, Danny is well worth looking up to quickly get you up to speed.

Thanks again,
Sean

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Does anyone know if any of the photo guys are doing a poster like last year? For those who didnt see last year, it was a poster with a picture of each Spec Miata that raced in thier finishing position with the winner at the top. Also their was a banner that Stated 2009 Nasa National Championships.

Another thing, Last year we got patches, Did anyone get patches this year?
Thanks,
Sean

--------------------

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

negatory

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: