Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » PTE classification for 2010 Championships

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: PTE classification for 2010 Championships
Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm trying to fill out my PTE classification form for the 2010 Championships. I am in need of the accepted points breakdown for a 1.6L SM at the standard 2285 SM weight running RA1's? Obviously, I can go through the check list myself, but I need to make sure I get the points exactly right. Also I'm interested to see what points might be left over, or what things I might change in order to save points, to apply toward further weight reductions or better tires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan, I don't have the form infront of me but you need to add points for
* R Chin spoiler, Air dam
* Comp, torsen, or viscous diff
* Modified air box
* Modified Exhaust
* Catalytic Converter removal
* Struts
* Coil Springs
* Sway Bars

With RA'1s you will have points left over. If I did my last calculations right, to run spec miata with Hoosier SM6's and claim PTE I have to take off the chin spoiler. Good luck at the Championship's.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why does the chin spoiler add points? I thought that was an OEM option. Same with the viscous diff.

--------------------

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They class the base option car. I actually like the NASA PT system a lot.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Jeremy Pike

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A LL Factory Options and Parts Not on the Base Trim Model Must Be Assessed Points!!!

Miata.net used to have a nice yearly breakdown of option packages. Base models 90-97 never had a chin spoiler, any kind of limited slip, or power mirrors or windows..

Don't forget you are starting out as PTF, then have 39-14=25 points to play with. I think the 1.6 is at a slight disadvantage because of the weight that's called for, 2182. That's driver, fuel, off the track, over the scales. Time to drop every pound you can and find some light weight rims. I have never tried but the hard top probly weighs 30-40#'s but the aerodynamics it provides may be worth keeping it on.

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

By that logic, wouldn't the hardtop add points?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jaun, Did you see this?

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/52/1.html

Veteran Member

OK, so I get the following points:

3 * R Chin spoiler, Air dam
3 * Comp, torsen, or viscous diff
1 * Modified air box
2 * Modified Exhaust
1 * Catalytic Converter removal
3 * Struts
2 * Coil Springs
2 * Sway Bars
7 RA1 tires
---
24 Total modification points
+14 PTF** base class plus points
---
38 Total points

39 points allowed for single up-classing, so we end up in PTE with only one point to spare. Anything forgotten?

Question about weights. Base weight for 1.6L Miata is listed as 2182. This is almost 93lbs lighter than SM weight, which is 2275. Is that right? Does weight include driver and gas as you come off track just like SM? Or is there some subtle difference that I've missed?

Thanks for any help here!

-Juan

dmathias, Nice write up. However, I'm not building dedicated PT, just trying to run my SM in PT.

--------------------

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tire width is 30mm less than base class: -7 points

Veteran Member

Dion,

As I understand it, the base class is PTF**. Tire size for PTF is 215. We run 205, so only 10mm less. Thus only -1 point. Yes?

-Juan

--------------------

Jeremy Pike

quote:
Originally posted by EBudman:

The hard top was available on the base trim model, you just had to pay extra for it.

Jeremy Pike

Juan, as I read it you are correct on the tires. Bsae Class is PTF, add all the points up and that's your Final Competition Class.

Tires 6 points total. 7-1.
Engine/Drivetrain 7
Suspension/Brakes/Ch 7
Aerodynamics 3

The weighing procedure is the same as SM.

Veteran Member

OK, that's the way I'm gonna write it up tonight. Leaving bright and early in the morn. Thanks for the input, everyone!

--------------------

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

doh! maybe I'll try the weight to hp thing for the enduro car...Good luck Juan..

Veteran Member

Dion,

Actually, it looks like your 99 starts PTE. So -7 on the tires works there. And the airbox is stock, one less point. Here are the totals for the '99:

2 * Modified Exhaust
3 * Struts
2 * Coil Springs
2 * Sway Bars
7 RA1 tires
-7 for 205
---
16 Total points

So PTE+16 still PTE. And you have 3 points left over to apply to weight, so you can run 2299-35=2264lbs.

You get to run without any air restriction, so you've got big HP vs. the 1.6L. Looks like the '99 is the way to go for PTE?

-Juan

--------------------

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan,
I don't think the tire points is a wash..... i think there are still points .

Greg

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan,
Sorry....just looked at the rules.. YOU ARE 100% right! I am very confused about this dyno reclassing they have going on.....does this mean you don't worry about poiunts and just do HP/wt ratio??????
Greg

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by EBudman:

The hardtop is a no points mod. It's listed in the No Points Modifications under the Rules (not the Classification Form).

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
Dion,

Actually, it looks like your 99 starts PTE. So -7 on the tires works there. And the airbox is stock, one less point. Here are the totals for the '99:

2 * Modified Exhaust
3 * Struts
2 * Coil Springs
2 * Sway Bars
7 RA1 tires
-7 for 205
---
16 Total points

So PTE+16 still PTE. And you have 3 points left over to apply to weight, so you can run 2299-35=2264lbs.

You get to run without any air restriction, so you've got big HP vs. the 1.6L. Looks like the '99 is the way to go for PTE?

-Juan

With 3 points to spare you can actually subtract 50 lbs. The rule can be a little confusing. You basically take your minimum competition weight and subtract that from the base weight. Then take the sum and compare it to the weights listed and whichever one it's greater than, that's how many points you take for weight.

In other words, for a 99 car that weighs 2249, you subtract that from 2299, which equals 50. 50 is not "greater than" 50 so you take 3 points.

Or instead of reducing weight, you could just strap on some Hoosier R6s or Hankook Z214s for the 3 points.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Racing Group:
Juan,
Sorry....just looked at the rules.. YOU ARE 100% right! I am very confused about this dyno reclassing they have going on.....does this mean you don't worry about poiunts and just do HP/wt ratio??????
Greg

Dyno reclassing gives you a maximum horsepower number and minimum weight. If you are dyno reclassed you no longer need to take points for engine or weight mods.

A couple of dyno reclasses I've seen for PTE Miatas are:

123 hp, 2230 lbs
125 hp, 2250 lbs

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Veteran Member

OK, so starting with a '99:

2 * Modified Exhaust
3 * Struts
2 * Coil Springs
2 * Sway Bars
7 RA1 tires
-7 for 205
3 for Hoosiers <--
---
19 Total points

That sure beats the 1.6L!

-Juan

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: